Giro Donne 2022

davidof
davidof Posts: 3,032
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme

Comments

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Kind of amused by Kristen Faulkner thanking her teammates for their hard work... in an ITT.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    It's just become a cliche for anyone who wins a bike race like the PR teams drum it into them "if you win, don't forget to thank the team".
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    I've chosen to enhance my viewing of the event by selecting the Magyar commentary, it's providing much better insight than the English language commentary.
    I don't speak Magyar.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited July 2022
    I would have DQ Balsomo for todays sprint. Started off on the left and went right across the front of the bunch to get on Vos wheel. Who was on the right hand barrier.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    webboo said:

I would have DQ Balsomo for todays sprint. Started off on the left and went right across the front of the bunch to get on Vos wheel. Who was on the right hand barrier.

Sprinters can move laterally across the road within the rules, as Balsamo did today. She didn't impede anyone or interfere with the sprint of any of the other riders so the result stood. Correctly.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The rules say you should not deviate from your chosen line once you have launched your sprint. Given there was no one in front of her at the point she went right, you might say she had launched her sprint. If anyone had been matching her speed in the middle of the road she would have taken them out.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    You can't relegate people for potentially impeding someone, either they do or they don't. She clearly didn't, the result stands.
  • davidof
    edited July 2022
    Yesterday's stage

https://youtu.be/QxaEdfd9siQ

and today the women are covering 113km from Cala Gonone to Olbia. It is along the coast again. Downhill for the first 20km then relatively flat apart from a small climb around 78km.

What can I tell you about Cala Gonone? Cala Gonone is an Italian seaside town in the municipality (comune) of Dorgali, on the island of Sardinia. The town population is around 1200. It is a popular tourist destination.

Olbia is also on the coast but had 60,000 residents. Situated on the NW of Sardinia It links to Italy via the ferry terminal.

Today's live coverage kicks off at 12:45 CET

https://youtu.be/le5ydd-9Wks

Riders to watch in general

BALSAMO Elisa Trek - Segafredo
    VOS Marianne Team Jumbo-Visma
    KOPECKY Lotte Team SD Worx
    LONGO BORGHINI Elisa Trek - Segafredo
    BRAND Lucinda Trek - Segafredo
    VAN VLEUTEN Annemiek Movistar Team
    LUDWIG Cecilie Uttrup FDJ Nouvelle-Aquitaine Futuroscope

From the UK

SMITH Abi EF Education-TIBCO-SVB
    BARNES Hannah Uno-X Pro Cycling Team

Instagramme
  • davidof
    Stage 4 Cesena to Cesena

Cesena is an Italian town in the Émilie-Romagna 15km from the Adriatic sea. and the fishing port of Cesenatico. The two towns are linked by a canal built in the 14th century.

Today's stage is a 120km loop with 4 principal climbs, Monteleone, Col del Barbotto, Bertinoro and an unclassified climb at 110km. This should shake out the GC and GPM.

https://youtu.be/dlkKtwlpkJ0
    Instagramme
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Vos is certainly sprinting well.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    Nice to see they're on time starting....
  • davidof
    JimD666 said:

Nice to see they're on time starting....

:smiley:
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    edited July 2022
    Todays stage from Carpi to Regio Emilia

The 5th stage of the Giro Donne is predominantly flat. So we are likely to see another sprint finish at the end of the 126.1 kilometres long race from Carpi to Regio Emilia.

The only part of the route that’s offers some variation is 45 kilometres before the finish with a slight climb for 15km before descending again.

Three riders battled it out in the first two sprint stages – Elisa Balsamo, Marianne Vos, and Charlotte Kool. The first two both took a win, the latter did not.

The first three riders on the line gain time bonuses of 10, 6 and 4 seconds.

https://youtu.be/FAwKW3cprrQ

Carpi

The name "Carpi" is derived from carpinus betulus, a hornbeam tree particularly widespread in medieval times in the Po valley region. In Prehistoric times it was a settlement of the Villanovan Culture.

The foundation by the Lombard king Aistulf of St. Mary's church in the castle (Castrum Carpi) in 752 was the first step in the current settlement of the city.

The town has one of the largest squares in all Italy, the Piazza dei Martiri. It is surrounded by the castle, the cathedral, the town hall and a 52 arches long portico.

The area was hit by the earthquakes of May 2012.

Reggio Emilia

or just Reggio to the locals.

The old town has a hexagonal form, which derives from the ancient walls, and the main buildings are from the 16th–17th centuries. The commune's territory lies entirely on a plain, crossed by the Crostolo stream. Reggio began as a historical site with the construction by Marcus Aemilius Lepidus of the Via Aemilia, leading from Piacenza to Rimini (187 BC). Reggio became a judicial administration centre, with a forum called at first Regium Lepidi, then simply Regium, whence the city's current name.

The economy of the province of Reggio Emilia was for a long time based on agriculture. One typical product, known worldwide and imitated, is Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Another is Lambrusco wine. Reggio Emilia produce also the "Balsamic Vinegar" a condiment for salad but also cheese, strawberries and many other dishes.

Instagramme
  • davidof
    Stage 6 Sarnico Bergamo

Stage 6 of the 2022 Giro d'Italia Donne sees the riders race in the Lombardy region and they start in the small town of Sarnico and finish in the city of Bergamo on the same straight as the classic Giro di Lombardia. The race is 114km centered around the Grumello del Monte, with the ascent of 3rd category 100 vertical meter climb of San Pantaleone repeated 5 times. Should make for good roadside spectating and this climb should break up the race.

https://youtu.be/J_k52rs8z1w
    Instagramme
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Caught the stage on tour rest day . Rare to see a break go away like that in women's racing . Crushed the race a bit
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited July 2022
    Is it just me that doesn't think there's been much in the way of climbing so far?
    I know that as is the RCS's way, given the next 3 up are climbing stages, but I think they could have held one earlier in the race, just to spice things up a bit.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • davidof

Is it just me that doesn't think there's been much in the way of climbing so far?
    I know that as is the RCS's way, given the next 3 up are climbing stages, but I think they could have held one earlier in the race, just to spice things up a bit.

Sardinia would have been good for climbs, rather than pottering along the coast
    Instagramme
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Have to say, the stage intros here are great, but I'm struggling to follow with the TdF on... Stage recaps/reports would be fantastic! 😉
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • davidof

Have to say, the stage intros here are great, but I'm struggling to follow with the TdF on... Stage recaps/reports would be fantastic! 😉

I didn't post any as people don't like spoilers in a single thread.
    Instagramme
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    davidof said:

F*** "people", give us the lowdown! 😉
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

davidof said:

F*** "people", give us the lowdown! 😉
    Annemiek van Vleuten's reign of terror continues unabated, basically. Third stage saw her tow Mavi Garcia to the line, with Marta Cavalli left a bit further back, and a gap of five minutes opened out to literally everybody else - and that's more or less how it's stayed since.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Cheers 👍
  • davidof
    Hilly 113km stage today from Prevalle to Passo Maniva close to Lake Garda. After three laps in Prevalle the riders head for the Passo Maniva. The first 65 kilometres are as flat as can be. The route then starts to ascend ever so slightly and after the riders move through Lavone the gradients go out to 3 to 4%. The climb to the finish is 9.7 kilometres long and averages 7.8%.

The first three riders on the line gain time bonuses of 10, 6 and 4 seconds.

only Mavi Gacia and Marta Cavalli are close to Van Vleuten with Longo-Borghini at 5 minutes.

Racing starts at 12h45

https://youtu.be/VbX98SjUTH8
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    edited July 2022
    After yesterday's hockey stick stage another hilly day in the saddle from Rovereto to Aldeno with a couple of big climbs but a downhill finish over 105km of cycling. After the first flat section there are two very hard GPMs. First the Bordala Pass (14.7 kilometers at 6.3% with ramps over 20%), then, after the second climb that leads to Lake Cei, with 8.2 kilometers at 7.7% followed by a descent, with some technical sections, to the finish line. Can Annemiek stay on her bike?

https://youtu.be/bta2fLqXao0

Instagramme
  • mididoctors
    This races calender position is problematic to say the least
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2022
    Been watching the highlights on GCN . Racing looks more professional in the women's peloton compared to 10 years ago
  • davidof

This races calender position is problematic to say the least

yes, I've only been able to watch one stage of the TdF this year due to the clash
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    davidof said:

then, after the second climb that leads to Lake Cei, with 8.2 kilometers at 7.7% followed by a descent, with some technical sections, to the finish line. Can Annemiek stay on her bike?

well, what did I tell you?

https://youtu.be/5AZrXO-bKFg

Instagramme
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    "Annemieks gone down and gone down harrrrrrr no shes back up..."

😁😁😁
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver