2022 Tour de France Stage 1 Copenhagen > Copenhagen 13.2KM CLM ***Spoilers***

mididoctors
mididoctors Posts: 16,646
edited June 2022 in Pro race
13.2 km against the clock, flat, urban, lots of corners. some sections flanked by the sea. Questionable that it's technical enough for the likes of MvdP. last KM consists of three 90 degree turns and then a straight charge to the line. Good bike handlers may shine here. riders looking to be close to the jersey even if not in the running for the win will need to take advantage of the course and/or take risks

favorites

***** Ganna ,
**** Wout van Aert
*** Bissegger, Geriant Thomas Roglic
** Kung, Matthew van de Poul
* Asgreen . Jonas Vingegaard

I will jazz it up a bit more coming hours

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited June 2022
    I am so grateful that you have picked up the baton. Thanks a million and then some.

The good news is that I am in Covid recovery mode and while I was due to be out all day today, I am still isolating. The bottom line is that I too have just managed to put together a thread along the usual lines, although a little briefer.

So, I can transfer my stuff to this thread, or post mine separately and let one thread take over.
    Btw, on preview, I think my maps are bigger.

Anyhow, you decide and let me know. We will do as you wish.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    We're off! Thanks both! :)
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • blazing_saddles
    edited June 2022
    OK, bianchi_dave has made the call. Time for a dump.....

Ganna is the overwhelming favourite, but Wout van Aert shouldn’t be far, above all if wet.
    (PCS ITT Rankings)
    1 Küng Stefan
    2 Roglič Primož
    3 Ganna Filippo
    4 van Aert Wout
    5 Asgreen Kasper
    6 Bissegger Stefan
    7 Pogačar Tadej
    8 Vingegaard Jonas
    9 van der Poel Mathieu
    10 Cattaneo Mattia
    11 Cort Magnus
    12 Thomas Geraint
    13 Bjerg Mikkel
    14 Vlasov Aleksandr
    15 Latour Pierre

Grand Départ Copenhagen Denmark 2022

A country of approximately 5.8 million people, Denmark is known as one of the greenest and happiest countries in the world. Cycling plays a vital role in that status. In Denmark, cycling is a part of everyday life.
    Nine out of 10 Danes own a bicycle and there are approximately 12,000km of bike routes and bike lanes across the country. Every week day, cyclists in Copenhagen cover the equivalent distance of 400 editions of the Tour de France – that’s about 1,440,000km. Thanks to the 673,000 bikes in the city and the fact that 44% of all trips to places of work and education are done by bicycle, it’s no wonder that Copenhagen has been named the world’s best cycling city.

COPENHAGEN AND CYCLING

It is mainly thanks to the World road championships that the Danish capital has established itself as a world cycling centre. The city of the Grand Départ hosted the very first edition in 1911, which was only open to amateurs, and has since awarded the rainbow jersey on five occasions between 1931 and 2011. In the latter year, Copenhagen crowned Mark Cavendish, the greatest sprinter in the history of the Tour de France, and revealed a now confirmed hopeful, Arnaud Démare.

The first title awarded under the eyes of the Little Mermaid went to the Italian Learco Guerra, who also won the Giro (1934), Milan-San Remo (1933), eight stages of the Tour de France and 31 stages of the Giro. In 1937, Éloi Meulenberg, who also won nine stages of the Tour, became world champion in the city, before his compatriot Rik Van Steenbergen won the title twice in 1949 and 1956. Many riders were born in Copenhagen. Among the older ones can be mentioned Rolf Sorensen, winner of two stages and Yellow Jersey of the Tour de France, Soren Lilholt, former junior world champion, Johnny Weltz, winner of a stage in the Tour in 1988, or Anders Lund, the current coach of the Danish team. In the current peloton, Mikkel Bjerg, three-time U23 time trial world champion, and Casper Pedersen, winner of Paris-Tours in 2020, are also natives of Copenhagen.

Right, I am probably going to get hammered for what comes next, but.....

Food and Drink.

Smørrebrød

What initially was a Danish farmer’s lunch is now Denmark’s traditional dish, a local delicacy. The open-face sandwich consists of a slice of rye bread, with fish or meat, vegetables and sauce on top. Almost every restaurant in Copenhagen serves a version.

Marinated or pickled herring

Marinated and pickled herring has held a place on the Danish food menu since the Viking era. Denmark has a long list of fish dishes, but herring is the most popular – most often served on rye bread or accompanied with bay leaves, onion salad and eggs. Find out why this dish has survived throughout the years and is still served all over Copenhagen.

Copenhagen: Capital of craft beer.

Copenhagen’s beer lovers were the first in Europe to embrace the beer revolution and the city has gradually developed into the perhaps most interesting beer destination in Europe with an open-minded and quality-based attitude towards the fine art of brewing beer.

• mididoctors
    hurrah BS is back we're saved
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    There are people on here who like cycling and like rocks and like posting about rocks while watching cycling

This seems written for you

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/06/the-tour-de-france-rocks-a-fascinating-look-at-the-geology-of-le-tour/
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited June 2022

There are people on here who like cycling and like rocks and like posting about rocks while watching cycling

This seems written for you

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/06/the-tour-de-france-rocks-a-fascinating-look-at-the-geology-of-le-tour/

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Asgreen has said he's not back to the form he wanted to be after his crash, so doesn't think he's got much of a chance of getting yellow.

Be great if he could though.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,602
    A lot of the GC guys and favourites for the stage are starting early as the forecast is for rain developing throughout the day

I think WVA and MVDP will go well, TP not so much out of the cyclocross guys

I am more excited for the Tour this year than I usually am, and I can't put my finger on why
  • RichN95. said:
    I take it teams are expecting worse/slower conditions later on
  • blazing_saddles
    That's bad news for Danni Martinez and Primoz Roglic as they will be riding into Bob Jungel's viral load.....
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    edited June 2022

That's bad news for Danni Martinez and Primoz Roglic as they will be riding into Bob Jungel's viral load.....

Good for the train lead out of Ineos though. 😉
    Is this the new reason for being at the front? Just to stay in the race.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mididoctors

RichN95. said:
    want to get to bed?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

More chance of rain later

Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    Mobile phones, computers and medicines? You can them on my kitchen table.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Outside tip: Mads P.
    Goes pretty well on a short TT, in great form, and has been training for the course. Definitely not a favourite, but expect a solid ride to set up a chance of yellow after stage 2.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Oh and tomorrow is going to be insane. Expect massive, massive crowds.
  • RichN95.
    Jakobsen’s leaving this COVID positive a little late.
  • blazing_saddles

Outside tip: Mads P.
    Goes pretty well on a short TT, in great form, and has been training for the course. Definitely not a favourite, but expect a solid ride to set up a chance of yellow after stage 2.

I read elsewhere that Mads P (as good as possible) copied the course at home, and did an endless amount of laps on it.
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

Just imagine if he tests positive tomorrow.................
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    edited July 2022
    Weather alert!
    Summer storms moving in over the afternoon. Nobody sure exactly when they'll hit, earliest predictions say 4pm CEST (first rider start time) latest say 7pm (last rider start)

Rain will be very heavy (some places in DK forecast 10-20mm) and wind will pick up (Westerly)
    When it hits we can expect wind speed around 20-25km/h gusting to 40-45

All the big guns going early

https://www.tissottiming.com/2022/tdf/en-gb/default/Stage/1/home

Key parts of the route: Kastellet and Langelinie (the old Fort and the little mermaid area) - very narrow with lots of turns.
    Amalienborg (Queen's Palace) - cobbles, it was exiting this that Cancellara overcooked it in the World's in 2011.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    edited July 2022
    ddraver said:

Excellent tiktok-ing from ITV..

Shaq 7.1", Yao Ming 7.6", you've guessed he was another pro basketball player and Kevin Hart.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    https://www.wunderground.com/weather/dk/copenhagen reckons wet roads in ~2 hours from 1430 best. :#
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Copenhagen’s beer lovers were the first in Europe to embrace the beer revolution and the city has gradually developed into the perhaps most interesting beer destination in Europe with an open-minded and quality-based attitude towards the fine art of brewing beer.

I went to Copenhagen Beer Celebration (CBC) in 2017... It was absolutely fantastic, one of the best weekends of my life, I would love to go back... Have been a couple of times for work as well and it is brilliant :smile:

Lots of Mikkeller bars but my favourite is Warpigs in the old meatpacking district - a heavy metal and barbecue brewpub...
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2022

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/dk/copenhagen reckons wet roads in ~2 hours from 1430 best. :#

There's going to be rain, but reports differ.

Your link

BBC weather

• skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498

I went to Copenhagen Beer Celebration (CBC) in 2017... It was absolutely fantastic, one of the best weekends of my life, I would love to go back... Have been a couple of times for work as well and it is brilliant :smile:

Lots of Mikkeller bars but my favourite is Warpigs in the old meatpacking district - a heavy metal and barbecue brewpub...
    The Mikkeller stouts used to be so far ahead of the game. Magnificent.
  • blazing_saddles
    Just an early warning in regards to the favourites for the stage bit.
    I won't be putting it into the stage threads cos I reckon doing them in advance is unlikely to be viable, given the Covid situation. Besides, everybody wants different riders added, which might be better left to the actual stage thread discussion.