Touring on carbon? Heavy Rider!

So I am booked in for a gravel ride around Isle of Wight mid July with 1 nights camping. its a organised gravel ride and as such its not just roads, some bridleways and some off-road single track.

I only have 1 bike now - My Carbon On One Free Ranger. Its a gravel specific bike and based on my research is a rebranded Carbonda 696, Given the same frame is used bike Ridley and Bombtrack for their gravel offerings to name just 2 I am happy that its well put together.

The bike is clearly designed for taking a rack (it has rack mounts) and Planet X said and I quote "it should be fine" for my 95kg weight plus luggage but just a bit concerned.

All in total system weight would be around 110-115kg (me + Bike + Camping gear + Water bottles). I reckon I will have say 15kg of 'stuff' split between my rear rack and front bar bag.

I have over the years done what I can to make the bike more robust, I swapped out the stock wheels for a set of Mavic gravel specific 'All Road Disc' wheels (28 spokes front and back) and I am running 42c tyres at 45-50psi (not currently tubeless). I also have heli-taped the downtube/BB/fork bridge.

I have upgraded the stock disc pads to Swiss Stop green so I am confident that the wheels and brakes can take the steep gravel downhill bits when fully loaded but just concerned about the frame handling the weight/terrain.

Should I be concerned about the total weight?

Comments

• mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Forgot to add the wheelset has a total weight limit of 120kg as per Mavic's website
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    Should be ok, 15kg of luggage is heavy for 1 night though.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mr_eddy
    Thanks for input - I am more at ease now

Yep probably closer to 10kg of luggage. My tent is a old school dome tent and weighs 2.8kg plus about 0.8kg for the rack, add in 2 x 750ml water bottles (I am going in mid-July) and I am up to about 5kg already. say another 2-3kg for light sleeping bag, change of clothes, power bank, set of lights etc. If I can keep it all under 10kg then total will be closer to 110kg
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    edited June 2022
    Can you get away with a bivvy for the night? 330g so saves almost 2.5kg

https://alpkit.com/products/hunka

A light sleeping bag is also under a kilo.

If it's all just for 1 night though not worth buying a load of kit.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    Any value in getting a pair of 650b wheels, to increase tyre width from the apparent 700x50 max? Mainly for the higher load bearing rear wheel.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mr_eddy
    Thing is this is a 'on the cheap' getaway so keeping costs as low as poss so really don't want to buy new kit especially if its to be used rarely.

I already have a decent tent etc and the wheelset I have was only bought 2 months ago so don't want to buy another set of wheels (and disc rotors, tyres, cassette etc)
  • Where are you camping? Many campsites rent out pods etc - then you don’t need tent or a sleeping mat. Much more fun for the riding.