Look Keo Blades

Anyone using these have issues with them not hanging correctly when unclipped? Looking at buying some Max Carbon but the Blades are going for not much more. However, I've found that some light pedals don't hang because there is insufficient rear weight bias, so clipping in isn't as easy as it should be.

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Mine are fine - the bearings in one pedal have become slightly rough but they've had a decent amount of use.

My only gripe is they seem to come with a lower spring tension now I prefer mine to take a bit more to clip out of.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I was under the impression that they came fitted with lighter 'springs', but had the 12nm ones in the box too.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I’ve got 3 pairs of the Blades & 1 of them were quite “stiff” from the box, they wouldn’t spin freely.

However after about 500 miles of use they are now absolutely fine.

FWIW I never had any trouble clipping in.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Anything that makes them better than the normal jobbies for the extra scheckles?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ibr17xvii
    I’ve never had any other Look pedal so can’t really say.

YMMV of course but for me I just found the clipping in & out easier than when I had Ultegra pedals.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    MattFalle said:

Anything that makes them better than the normal jobbies for the extra scheckles?

Best price on the Keo Max Carbons is £72, but I can get the Blades for £84. It's about a 30g weight saving and 0.001W of aero benefit (estimated).
    My Times don't always hang properly although they aren't stiff anywhere, I just put it down to the lack of rear weight bias. If the Blades were similar I'd just get the Max, which I've had before.
    I think I can't be ar5ed with the Speedplay inflated prices and cleat malarkey to go that route.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    me-109 said:

I was under the impression that they came fitted with lighter 'springs', but had the 12nm ones in the box too.

Yes mine are stronger than that - they used to have (from memory) something like 15 and 20 as options too.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    me-109 said:

MattFalle said:

Best price on the Keo Max Carbons is £72, but I can get the Blades for £84. It's about a 30g weight saving and 0.001W of aero benefit (estimated).
    My Times don't always hang properly although they aren't stiff anywhere, I just put it down to the lack of rear weight bias. If the Blades were similar I'd just get the Max, which I've had before.
    I think I can't be ar5ed with the Speedplay inflated prices and cleat malarkey to go that route.
    Tbh, £12 and 30g - yeah I'd go for that 👍👍

Agree totally re Speedplay faff.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ibr17xvii
    me-109 said:

Depends what model you get. The lower end ones come with 8nm & 12nm tension - the higher 12& 16 although you can get 20nm as well.

I’ve always used 16nm.