Narrow short nosed saddle with rise at the back?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new saddle because my current saddle (Giant Contact SL Forward) is giving me a bit of genital numbness. It is the perfect saddle in all other ways and does not give me any chafing issues or pain. What I like most about the saddle is the narrow (130mm) width and the big rise up at the back of the saddle. This allows me to really easily rotate my pelvis forward and gives me something to push against. I've never got on well with saddles that have a cutout because I don't sit completely symmetrical on the bike.

Last week I tried out a Specialized Power, which features the same kind of profile with a big rise up at the back. The problem with this saddle is that it is way too wide for me even in the narrowest width. I get a lot of issues in the groin area. I then tried a Selle Italia SLR Boost TM which has the same narrow width, but lacks the saddle profile that I prefer. The saddle was comfortable when climbing and sitting upright, but I could not get comfortable on the flats and downhills because I could not achieve a comfortable forward pelvis rotation. With the Giant saddle I can get a nice straight back but with the SLR Boost my back got stuck in a very rounded position.

Are there any short nosed saddles out there that feature the same saddle profile as the Giant and are 130mm in width? Preferably without a big cutout. A pressure relief channel like on the Giant and SLR TM suits me best.

Thanks in advance for all recommendations!

Comments

• This is the saddle profile I am looking for
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Charge Spoon, although might be more like 143 wide.
    Sure Fizik do something curved.
    Try some manufacturer websites- Selle Italia, Selle Royal, Fizik...
  • me-109 said:

Charge Spoon, although might be more like 143 wide.
    Sure Fizik do something curved.
    Try some manufacturer websites- Selle Italia, Selle Royal, Fizik...

I have looked on all the main manufacturers websites to find a saddle like this in 130mm width, but it seems they do not offer anything like that. Most are around the 142mm width which is too wide for me.
  • mr.b-campag
    mr.b-campag Posts: 384
    You might want to look at SMP as well. Some of their saddles are 138mm and they have a very unique shape that apparently often works for people who are having issues with their saddles (though it is very important to get the angle they are fitted at correct). Take a look at Steve Hoggs' website if you're interested.
  • katani
    katani Posts: 132
    edited June 2022
    Selle SMP Vulcor is 126mm wide and curves upwars towards the back. But it has a big cutout. I have the Dynamic in a 138mm width and its the best saddle I have ever owned for riding in an aggressive position.
  • You might want to look at SMP as well. Some of their saddles are 138mm and they have a very unique shape that apparently often works for people who are having issues with their saddles (though it is very important to get the angle they are fitted at correct). Take a look at Steve Hoggs' website if you're interested.

I tried two SMP saddles some time ago. I had the same problem as with the SLR Boost that it locked me in to a position where my back would be very rounded. Couldn't achieve a comfortable forward tilted pelvis.
  • mr.b-campag
    Fair enough. Maybe an older model Specialized Toupe (at least some of them didn't have a cut out) in 130mm, angled down appropriately?
  • mr.b-campag
    Fwiw I do wonder if the OP might benefit from seeing a good bike fitter to fix this (funds permitting obv.)
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 409
    edited June 2022

The Fizik Curve has a high rise back one .I think its tge Bull version
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Have a look at PRO stuff - my Stealth is 130mm wide like you like, slight kick up at the back but has a cut out unfortunately, but they may do one without.

V comfy.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    Just out of interest why do you need a short nose saddle? Are you restricted to UCI rules regarding set back?
  • Just out of interest why do you need a short nose saddle? Are you restricted to UCI rules regarding set back?

I thought getting rid of the nose would alleviate some of the pressure I'm experiencing when in the aero position
  • Fwiw I do wonder if the OP might benefit from seeing a good bike fitter to fix this (funds permitting obv.)

I think I've had about 5 bikefits in the past two years. I had a lot of saddle issues with chafing and sores that were not solved by these fits. Now I finally found a saddle where I don't get that kind of pain, but I do get numbness...
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    edited June 2022
    OP I second the comment above on maybe getting a bike fitting.

If you can't find the type of saddle on the shelf, perhaps look at the custom made ones. Apparently you get one that's perfectly moulded for your rear.
  • redvision said:

OP I second the comment above on maybe getting a bike fitting.

If you can't find the type of saddle on the shelf, perhaps look at the custom made ones. Apparently you get one that's perfectly moulded for your rear.

I've already had 5 in the past 2 years. I had a lot of saddle issues with chafing and sores that were not solved by these fits. Now I finally found a saddle where I don't get that kind of pain, but I do get numbness...
  • joeyhalloran
    Unless your sitting right on the nose of a traditional saddle, chopping the nose off won't help. I ride a 'traditional' saddle and can see the ~3cm of saddle that short nose saddles are missing when I look down, removing that won't make the saddle any more comfortable as I'm not actually interacting with that part of the saddle (and really not should anyone).
  • Unless your sitting right on the nose of a traditional saddle, chopping the nose off won't help. I ride a 'traditional' saddle and can see the ~3cm of saddle that short nose saddles are missing when I look down, removing that won't make the saddle any more comfortable as I'm not actually interacting with that part of the saddle (and really not should anyone).

I can also see about 2,5cm of the saddle sticking out at the front. The feeling I have is that when I go in to the aero position and twist forward a lot my sensitive area gets "squashed" on the nose. With a short nosed the saddle there would be a bit more clearance. Don't know if that is correct but that was just my theory.
  • mr.b-campag
    edited June 2022
    Thinking about it a friend of mine had similar issues TTing and used a spongy wonder saddle (yes they really are called that) which allowed him to ride in an aggressive position. They look a bit sh!t, but if that is what it takes for you to ride without pain then probably worth a look?

Edit - I just asked him about it and he said this was the best thing he found in the end:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/saddles/rido-r2-saddle-with-cromo-rails-black/
  • joeyhalloran
    I think the ISM adamo is the only saddle that really removed the part you would sit on when rolled forward.

https://youtu.be/RNLQY6gBZsg

This might be worth a watch.

I'm not saying short nose saddles don't work, and for any readers on a short nose that are comfortable good for you. However they aren't a magical bullet, its still saddles are a personal preference and it just means short nose saddles aren't for everyone. I've tried about 5 short nose saddles and found the same as you, they're all too wide. I use a 143 specialized Romin and find with the swept up back I can 'lift' my self up at the back which is comfortable even when very low in the drops. I could never find a short nose that let me do this.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Tbf, i thought it was a load ofbollox (no pun intended) but when i changed the normal SLR on the S3 to the PRO it actually works and makes sense.

Still to be won over if it would work as well on a "normal" bike but honestly can't see why not.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.