What bike should I buy?

My 50th birthday is still far, but approaching, so contemplating on a next luxury bicycle...
What bike should I buy with these properties?

budget max 3500, maybe 4000 if I sell a kidney
carbon
endurance
hydraulic disc brake
As light as possible. I love climbing
Mechanical gear, not electronic, Ultegra preferably
Not integrated cockpit, I'm kind of put-off but not having the possibility to fine tune the stem length.
sexy looking of course, preferably single color black or red.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    pep.fermi said:

Mechanical gear, not electronic, Ultegra preferably...

I presume you enjoy replacing cranksets every couple of years. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 308
    No.
    Why?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Canyon endurace has everything you need with only one hitch. It’s £1,500 under budget!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    seanoconn said:

Canyon endurace has everything you need with only one hitch. It’s £1,500 under budget!

Sexy looking?
  • pblakeney
    pep.fermi said:

No.
    Why?

Try a Google search on Ultegra crank failures.
    Well known problem. On this site too.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pep.fermi
    My Ultegra failed after 14yr of use
  • seanoconn

seanoconn said:

Sexy looking?
    Black stealth, very slimming and sexy 👍
  • seanoconn
    Too be honest and possibly controversial….. you don’t need anything more expensive than 105. Few grams heavier than Ultegra but you won’t notice the difference, specially after a good poo. Cheaper to replace parts for 105 down the line also.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    If you "love climbing" & want as light as possible I would go rim brakes every time which admittedly does bring down your options but at your budget you would get a far lighter bike - IMO.
  • wobblebob
    wobblebob Posts: 73
    pep.fermi said:

Have you tried contacting Shimano for a replacement
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    pblakeney said:

pep.fermi said:

No.
    Why?

Try a Google search on Ultegra crank failures.
    Well known problem. On this site too.
    Mine is 10 years old and still turning.

OP - ignore him, the failure rate is very small.
  • pep.fermi
    edited June 2022
    ibr17xvii said:

If you "love climbing" & want as light as possible I would go rim brakes every time which admittedly does bring down your options but at your budget you would get a far lighter bike - IMO.

Makes sense, thanks.
    What I didn't mention is that I'm the worstest descender ever. And disc brakes give me some extra confidence, so I'm slightly less bad (still the worstest).
  • pep.fermi
    wobblebob said:

pep.fermi said:

Have you tried contacting Shimano for a replacement
    No.
    It failed after this many years, I thought it was just normal to get it replaced.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    pep.fermi said:

ibr17xvii said:

Makes sense, thanks.
    What I didn't mention is that I'm the worstest descender ever. And disc brakes give me some extra confidence, so I'm slightly less bad (still the worstest).

Fair enough.

FWIW after I had a major unscheduled look at the tarmac on black ice a few years ago I would put myself in the worst descender category as well.
  • pep.fermi
    edited June 2022
    Looking at Canyon endurance range: difference between 105 and Ultegra is 300€ and 240gr.
    Next level up is different Carbon frame, 500€ more and 320gr lighter.

CF SL 8: 2799€, 8.06Kg, Ultegra
    CF 8: 2299€, 8.38Kg, Ultegra
    CF 7: 1999€, 8.62Kg, 105

The SL also has integrated cockpit which I like less, no chance of fine tuning stem length.

I write €, I happen to be in Germany
  • seanoconn
    pep.fermi said:

Looking at Canyon endurance range: difference between 105 and Ultegra is 300€ and 240gr.

The SL also has integrated cockpit which I like less, no chance of fine tuning stem length.

I write €, I happen to be in Germany <</b>/blockquote>

pep.fermi said:

I write €, I happen to be in Germany

All the higher end models have integrated cockpits which I don’t like either.

Buy the CF 7 and treat yourself to another bike? Maybe a hardtail for bikepacking or gravel bike.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Ultegra and discs.

Oh well, never mind.....

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pep.fermi
    seanoconn said:

All the higher end models have integrated cockpits

How are integrated cockpits supposed to be better?🤔
    Maybe they are, I just don't know...

• As light as possible. I love climbing

Bike weight obviously has an impact, but I find stiffness of the bike and geometry is more important than weight when climbing.

I have a LOOK 785 (rim brake) with 45mm deep carbon rims. It is the stiffest bike I have owned and requires far less power on climbs to achieve the same speeds as my other bikes. One of my local training climbs takes me around 3 minutes to cycle up. On my Caad12, an average speed of 22kmh will require 350 watts. On the LOOK it is around 300 watts for the same speed. A stiffer bike is going to be more efficient and require less effort on climbs.
  • MattFalle
    If you want light as poss, rim brskes with tubs.

Anything else is just putting weight on for no real reason espesh discs.

If braking with rims is sn issue then we generally advise to learn to brake, descend and corner propely.
  • pep.fermi
    MattFalle said:

If braking with rims is sn issue then we generally advise to learn to brake, descend and corner propely.

Yes, this would be best thing to do.
    I spent already the last 40yr trying to learn how to descend. So far failed. :'(
  • pep.fermi
    edited June 2022

As light as possible. I love climbing

One of my local training climbs takes me around 3 minutes to cycle up. On my Caad12, an average speed of 22kmh will require 350 watts. On the LOOK it is around 300 watts for the same speed. A stiffer bike is going to be more efficient and require less effort on climbs.
    Very interesting, thanks a lot.
    Though this much difference seems a little too much.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited June 2022
    Without googling, aero trumps weight at surprising gradients, figures of ~4/7% ring a bell (one for pro-esque, one for mortals). Can't recall which is which, I'd guess higher for pros as they will typically have higher W/Kg and therefore go quicker.

Edit: A quick google found this article https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/at-what-point-does-aero-become-more-significant-than-weight-316952
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Very interesting, thanks a lot.
    Though this much difference seems a little too much.

Good spot, the LOOK figure should read 330 watts! The power difference seems to be around 6-8% between the two.
  • katani
    katani Posts: 132

Without googling, aero trumps weight at surprising gradients, figures of ~4/7% ring a bell (one for pro-esque, one for mortals). Can't recall which is which, I'd guess higher for pros as they will typically have higher W/Kg and therefore go quicker.

Edit: A quick google found this article https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/at-what-point-does-aero-become-more-significant-than-weight-316952

The founder of a company that makes deep section wheels confirms aero trumps lightweight. I am deeply surprised.
  • pblakeney
    edited June 2022
    The trouble with all these lightweight and aero aero bikes getting tweaked to maximise performance is a lump of a rider climbing aboard and riding high up on the hoods.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

The trouble with all these lightweight and aero aero bikes getting tweaked to maximise performance is a lump of a rider climbing aboard and riding high up on the hoods.

This.

While throwing dhapes with mad pedalling techniques and having had two pints and a pie for dinner beforehand.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    Personally, I would go for three and a half thousand bags of sand and keep the kidney.