sunday will be back

'ning

bright start again

ride and cafes, perhaps discover a new cake, followed by cdd, lazing and bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Shropshire highland challenge today, should be fun.

Still rather full of ale from yesterday, but it’s to be expected.

Later is some friends for a bbq
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Windy chilly grey cloudy shizzle.
    Roller sesh in June?! I must protest.

Lasagne, garlic bread, side salad and a couple of glasses of Côtes du Rhône was had. Fantastic. Then cdd highlights (stage 6 too) and Le Mans coverage for a while and slept like a baby.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    sunny ride running in newly waxed chain ready for hols, clouded over a bit now though, no new cakes discovered

perhaps some online shopping, been stocking up on bike bits as a few things seem in short supply/unobtainable

forecast for the coming week looks promising
  • pinno
    What wax are you using SG?
  • sungod
    pinno said:

ufo drip, mainly as it's quick/easy and can be applied even at fairly low temperature

for travel it's ideal, with high heat+distance chains need rewaxing every 1-2 days (every 200km or so), it only takes a couple of mins to put a drop on each link

also used simple wax for initial hot dip, then ufo to re-wax, didn't notice any difference vs. ufo from the start

when the ufo runs out, i may try the silca wax and their drip wax top-up

been using wax c. 3 years now, chains/cassettes do seem to last longer and of course there's no build up of dirt, even riding in lanzarote where even with a dry-ish lube like r&r gold a chain would be black and gritty within a couple of days from the ash
  • pinno
    sungod said:

pinno said:

ufo drip, mainly as it's quick/easy and can be applied even at fairly low temperature

for travel it's ideal, with high heat+distance chains need rewaxing every 1-2 days (every 200km or so), it only takes a couple of mins to put a drop on each link

also used simple wax for initial hot dip, then ufo to re-wax, didn't notice any difference vs. ufo from the start

been using wax c. 3 years now, chains/cassettes do seem to last longer and of course there's no build up of dirt, even riding in lanzarote where even with a dry-ish lube like r&r gold a chain would be black and gritty within a couple of days from the ash
    [You're preaching to the converted]

I use Squirt.
    Didn't like the consistency of the UFO. Found that I had to keep it indoors in a warm place but even then, never came out of the nozzle in a way I could meter it effectively. Seemed to be always having a fight with it. Too viscous or splitting, rarely just right.
    Having done my own hot wax dips but finding affordable and pure enough wax or at least, good elements that would make it economical as opposed to simply buying Molten was tricky.
    I suppose you could buy in bulk but as it was experimental, I didn't want to end up with a heap of stuff that I didn't want.
    I did buy some Molten wax (5 years ago?) and that initial 200 miles was amazing.
    However, I have found that just Squirt is more than adequate if I use it sparingly and often
    When I take the chain off, I apply it whilst the chain is still warm in my hands (not hot) from 'cooking' it and this for me works well as a base.
    I did a couple of fettling jobs and asked for payment in Squirt wax, so I have enough to keep me going for a while before I start playing with something else.

Do you add PTFE Teflon powder and do you use a rice cooker?

• pinno
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Morning folks,
    Traditional slow start is being enjoyed. Might make the coffee in a minute. Day of pottering and getting ready for holiday, it's gone from not being for ages to being in 4 days. I must have nodded off for a month.
    I use Squirt through the summer but found it washes off too easily in winter. New chain about now, clean and Squirted, then revert to wet lube about October. Replace at .75% worn and get 3 chains to a cassette.
    I've been looking at 11 speed hub gears for a winter/hack bike. Narrowly missed a new hub for £145 off the bayofshite.
    Looks nice out, EPO and daughter heading into the shops so peace and quiet for me.
  • sungod
    pinno said:

sungod said:

pinno said:

I use Squirt.
    Didn't like the consistency of the UFO. Found that I had to keep it indoors in a warm place but even then, never came out of the nozzle in a way I could meter it effectively. Seemed to be always having a fight with it. Too viscous or splitting, rarely just right.
    Having done my own hot wax dips but finding affordable and pure enough wax or at least, good elements that would make it economical as opposed to simply buying Molten was tricky.
    I suppose you could buy in bulk but as it was experimental, I didn't want to end up with a heap of stuff that I didn't want.
    I did buy some Molten wax (5 years ago?) and that initial 200 miles was amazing.
    However, I have found that just Squirt is more than adequate if I use it sparingly and often
    When I take the chain off, I apply it whilst the chain is still warm in my hands (not hot) from 'cooking' it and this for me works well as a base.
    I did a couple of fettling jobs and asked for payment in Squirt wax, so I have enough to keep me going for a while before I start playing with something else.

the original ufo used turn to sludge or solidify if too cool, once warm it went clear and became very runny, it also needed the chain to be warm enough, which in uk was tricky most of the year

the ufo v2 is water based and thicker, can be applied at much lower temperatures, but it needs shaking really well - if there was any left in the nozzle/top of the bottle, it needed to be forced back down into the bottle to mix in, other than that i never had a problem with controlling the application

i'd just used paraffin wax, warmed in an old billy in a pan of hot water, never tried additives

btw that ptfe powder, at 1.6 μm i think it'd be small enough to cross from lungs to bloodstream, once it's in you it's probably staying there, assuming purity is ok it's not toxic, but fine particles might have other biological effects, i'd use a decent mask or 'wet' it with alcohol/whatever to avoid it being wafted around
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166
    Been out with hounds who are now suitably knackered. Having our future Ukrainian house guest round this afternoon to sort out a few things in advance of next weekend.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    POIDH 😊

Yet another day of Sorting Stuff, Packing Stuff and thinking why tf have I got this Stuff? Getting there, slowly slowly.

Missing the bike rides now the weather has perked up.

• beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,521
    Went for a short ride this morning, got a decent tow (I asked, they were fine with it) into the wind off a strong young couple. When we turned back for home they left me grovelling. Turned myself inside out, and eventually caught them up just before they turned off, so I could say thanks through my shattered lungs.

Then a long dog walk on the common.

Loafing for the rest of the day.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Another bleak day. Slow start after a bit much vino last night at friends place down the road. Not sure going was such a great idea anyway given the weather.

Did absolutely nothing today of significance.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

POIDH 😊

That might be just a bit creepy - although we are not into 'distraction' territory...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Back slightly tweaked after a ferocious spell of pace bowling. 6 for 20. BBQ, booze, life isn’t too bad.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    sungod said:

pinno said:

sungod said:

pinno said:

I use Squirt.

the original ufo used turn to sludge or solidify if too cool, once warm it went clear and became very runny, it also needed the chain to be warm enough, which in uk was tricky most of the year

the ufo v2 is water based and thicker, can be applied at much lower temperatures, but it needs shaking really well - if there was any left in the nozzle/top of the bottle, it needed to be forced back down into the bottle to mix in, other than that i never had a problem with controlling the application

i'd just used paraffin wax, warmed in an old billy in a pan of hot water, never tried additives

btw that ptfe powder, at 1.6 μm i think it'd be small enough to cross from lungs to bloodstream, once it's in you it's probably staying there, assuming purity is ok it's not toxic, but fine particles might have other biological effects, i'd use a decent mask or 'wet' it with alcohol/whatever to avoid it being wafted around
    Noted.

In 2009 before the Caledonia etape, I was wrongly diagnosed with exercise induced asthma.
    I coughed all the way up Schiehallion.

Wind the clock forward having met a guy at a climate challenge fund who drove a FIAT across Europe on cooking oil (way before Hugh Fearnley Whittinbottom did it). IMpressive to drive a FIAT van that far alone.
    He was extracting Dyson Hoover motors to make bicycle powered dynamos bolted to a turbo trainer frame.
    I said casually that I came across 2 Dysons on our can/cooking oil collection travels, stripped them and made one good one for the van at the yard.

He said "I hope you wore a mask" and then the penny dropped.

• pinno
    seanoconn said:

Back slightly tweaked after a ferocious spell of pace bowling. 6 for 20. BBQ, booze, life isn’t too bad.

...and you have thrashed them at table tennis too!
  • pinno
    edited June 2022
    I stripped my very rough looking Pinarello Alu frame...
    first camera munched the memory card, so I have no before pics.

Need colour scheme suggestions.

• beansnikpoh
    seanoconn said:

6 for 20! Hat.
  • seanoconn

seanoconn said:

6 for 20! Hat.
    Cheers. I was quietly pleased. 2 eleven year olds and a wife that bats like a girl. 2 innings 😎
  • seanoconn
  • pinno
    May I say that you are a shameless basket Seano?

@beansnikpoh what wine club are you in?
  • seanoconn
    You may 👍😎
  • pinno
    seanoconn said:

You may 👍😎

Fair enough.

I don't rate your coaching skills though.
  • beansnikpoh
    pinno said:

May I say that you are a shameless basket Seano?

@beansnikpoh what wine club are you in?

I'm in no club. The Wine Society is worth joining.
  • beansnikpoh
    seanoconn said:
    Genius.

Both you and the Fast Show.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Went for a walk.
    Was a long way and was hilly.
    Lost an expensive thing on top of a mountain 🙁

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    pinno said:

I stripped my very rough looking Pinarello Alu frame...
    first camera munched the memory card, so I have no before pics.

Need colour scheme suggestions.

Probably boring and predictable but here is the traditional, and the vintage alu.
    I'd go traditional. Failing that, forgo Pinarello and go complete custom.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    edited June 2022
    @pblakeney

It was in Banesto colours.

Can't go red with 'fake' chrome polished alu rear chain stays or 3/4 rear triangle 'cos of the black carbon forks. Don't think it will go.

May however, go with a metallic burgundy with single 'chrome' chain stay.
    Whaddya think?

I have access to some Vauxhall colours which in Hicote double acrylic are good to use and produce good results.

+ lacquer of course :smile:
  • Stevo_666
    thistle_ said:

Went for a walk.
    Was a long way and was hilly.
    Lost an expensive thing on top of a mountain 🙁

Oops - phone or something else?