Will 29in hard tail fit inside a mini R56 (2007 on)

02gf74
02gf74 Posts: 1,168
As per title, does anyone own or know someone who owns a mini hatchback, R56 model (2007 model) - is it possible to get a 29 mountain bike (ideally a FS XC) in the back?

I realise the rear seats need to be folded down and front or both wheels removed,obviously the wheels would need to fit too.

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,564
    I had one for a while. Fun car to drive! (Cooper S model)

Didn't try an actual bike, because it frankly never occurred to me one might fit. The space between rear wheel arch tubs is narrow, and length from tailgate to the back of the front seats is pretty short. Even wheels off I doubt you'd (easily) get a frame/fork with bars and saddle still fitted in lengthways, especially without damaging the interior. An XC 29'er with fork still fitted has a wheelbase of roughly 1200mm between front and rear axles. Turn forks to lay the bars flat and you'll add 300mm length to that dimension.

(Front axle to crown length) + (headtube and headset stack) + (stem and spacer stack height) will be somewhere between 650 and 700 mm across.

The side mouldings are all plastic and scratch up easily. The "headroom" in the back seats is already low, and that's before you fold the seat backs down. With those down, It would be tight to fit one wheel/tyre standing up on one side, let alone two. That means the wheels would have to sit on top (or underneath) the frame.

There's actually decent room in the car for front seat passengers, and the back space will take suitcase and small boxes ok, but anything irregular and bulky like a bike frame would be a PITA to even fit through the hatch without damaging something.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    thanks for that - i did do web search search and got anwers saying yes and no.

there has to be some room for rear passenger feet - I am am wondering if the frame can be put in through the door into that space perhaps? ... but seats would need to be upright so probably no room for the wheels.

Still hoping somebody has one and tried to fit a bike for a definitve yes or no (it does sound like no).

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,647
    I'd be amazed if it couldn't fit in there. I've managed to get bikes (albeit usually road bikes) in some pretty small cars, such as a 1980s Fiat Panda.

You may have to remove or lower the seatpost and saddle, and potentially turn the bars 90degrees, but I doubt it. With the wheels off, a bike just isn't that large.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Yes it will.

Wheels off, turn bars lob it in.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    As an alternative to turning bars. Mark them up with a sharpie pen and take the bars out of the stem.
  • MattFalle
    mully79 said:

As an alternative to turning bars. Mark them up with a sharpie pen and take the bars out of the stem.

Why?

Turning bars as in leaving everything as is and, errrr, turning them like you are going around something.

Turning, not removing or undoing anything.

Why would you possibly want to undo anything?

#weird
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,647
    MattFalle said:

mully79 said:

Why?

Turning bars as in leaving everything as is and, errrr, turning them like you are going around something.

Turning, not removing or undoing anything.

Why would you possibly want to undo anything?

#weird
    Fork rake will limit how far up against passenger seat it can go. If you turn the bars, the bars will then hit the driver seat. Could be fine. Might mean the boot can't close. If the latter, by some means you need to be able to turn the forks independently of the bars.

Minis aren't that small though. Shouldn't be necessary.
  • MattFalle
    I reckon it'll be fine.

If I can slip a bike with no wheels in the back of an Aygo, a Mini, albeit a far, far far inferior car, will take it via the rear door no problemo.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I thought you meant loosening the stem and turning the bars :p
    Turning the bars with a modern 780mm handlebar isn’t that much of a space saver.