Refurbished Colnago C40 frame SOLD

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,369
edited June 2022 in All eBay listings
In metallic cherry red - Saronni Colours.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195117395752
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    You never know….
    What’s the chances of EasyJet or B.A. losing my bike next month?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Its absolutely gorgeous - as per the other Colnago this should be a must if people are looking fora frameset.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Please forgive my ignorance but what is so wonderful about this frame? I can see a nice paint job but the construction looks like an early attempt to make a frame out of carbon fibre. What am I missing?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    edited June 2022
    lesfirth said:

Please forgive my ignorance but what is so wonderful about this frame? I can see a nice paint job but the construction looks like an early attempt to make a frame out of carbon fibre. What am I missing?

It is an old but iconic frame. The genesis of which was still seen in the C60.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/icons-of-cycling-colnago-c40-191841
    https://www.thewashingmachinepost.net/colnago/millar_c40.html
    "The ultimate accolade comes from every pro who rides or has ridden one. Would they recommend it? Yes! Would they buy one with their own money? Yes!"
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    lesfirth said:

Looks like you're missing heart, soul, style, class, a knowledge of something fairly iconic and the desire not to ride the same bike as a bunch of clubbies.

Thing one is probably not for you.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    lesfirth said:

That's like saying what's all the fuss about the E-type Jaguar? Just looks like an early attempt to make an aerodynamic sports car.

C40 will be more flexible and heavier than a superbike today. It will be less aero and won't have clearance for 32c tyres and you can't have disc brakes. It won't take oversized this or that or integrated the other. The bb will screw in and I'm afraid you will be able to actually see the headset.

If this sort of thing bothers you, buy a Trek or Specialized and leave the auction to people with taste.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,369
    lesfirth said:

Carbon tubes fitted into carbon lugs in a traditional manner without fillet brazing. It's exactly that but an 'attempt' it wasn't, it was an accomplishment.
    However, it set a standard that was pretty unrivalled for nearly a decade and since the end of that era, almost every bike in the Pro peloton is CF.

5 Paris Roubaix's and over 1000 pro wins.

https://cycling-obsession.com/colnago-c40-ultimate-guide/

How many individual frames have web sites dedicated to it and i'm not talking about Wiki pages?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Thank you for enlightening me.
  • MattFalle
    Pleasure anytime.