2022 Critérium du Dauphiné, June 5 - 12 ***Spoilers***

This years addition seems at first glance to be somewhat light on climbing in the high mountains. So a 32km ITT could well define the overall GC. As seems to be the trend these days, the mountain battle looks to be focused at the very end of the race and in particular, the final climb of this uninspiring edition.

Stage 1:

Stage 2:

Stage 3:

Stage 4:

Stage 5:

Stage 6:

Stage 7:

Stage 8:

Top competitors

VAN AERT Wout
ROGLIČ Primož
VINGEGAARD Jonas
BILBAO Pello
MAS Enric
TEUNS Dylan
O'CONNOR Ben
STUYVEN Jasper
GAUDU David
LAPORTE Christophe
HAYTER Ethan
HAIG Jack
KELDERMAN Wiclo
CARUSO Damiano
MCNULTY Brandon

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,916
    Will be interested to see stage 3 having stayed in the area for a week's holiday with the bike. Very, very few Brits go to that part of the Massif Central but there' some nice riding and great views.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    Stage 6 should be very pretty. Vercors is a hugely under-appreciated area to ride a bike, although it's an (understandable) shame they don't turn off at Cognin les Gorge and go over the Gorge du Nans

The descent to the valley down Presles would have been interesting

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,461
    Its strange that in historically their pre Tour tune up race, ineos aren't even trying to appear to be trying to win it
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,715
    edited June 2022
    gsk82 said:

Its strange that in historically their pre Tour tune up race, ineos aren't even trying to appear to be trying to win it

I have my doubts that they are targeting a TdF GC win as well.

Which means they'll go and win it. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 659
    edited June 2022
    gsk82 said:

Strange indeed. That team looks like a race off to join the 7 already selected, participating in the TdeS.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    gsk82 said:

Thomas tends to favour the Tour de Suisse though
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,096
    I think most of Ineos' Tour team - Martinez, Thomas, van Baarle, Rowe, Pidcock, Yates - are riding the Tour de Suisse this year.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    andyp said:

I think most of Ineos' Tour team - Martinez, Thomas, van Baarle, Rowe, Pidcock, Yates - are riding the Tour de Suisse this year.

It's the much harder of the two races, this time around. Two big mountaintop finishes and a number of medium hill stages. Both races have similar ITTs, with the ToS favouring the final stage.
  • blazing_saddles
    Kirby is on duty.
    Tough to listen to him repeating over and over who is likely to feature for the stage.
    Especially having already endured him, trying to catch up with last week’s Tour of Norway.
  • blazing_saddles
    Groenewegen dropped on the final climb
  • The early start/finish caught me out.
    Van Aert wins after Hayter effectively leads him out.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,916
    Trek did a good job of shelling many of the other sprinters on the final climb and the Ineos ensured they couldn't get back on the flat. Ineos had words with Jumbo who wouldn't help do any of that work.
    Ultimately Ineos needed one more man at the end so Hayter didn't need to go quite so soon but WvA was comfortable winner.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,461
    Is there much hope of this race been anything other than Roglic and WVA riding away from everyone?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    The green jersey for WvA makes a lot more sense when you realise other teams will be so obliging...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Highlights on ITV4 at 7pm each day.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Followed by the Women's Tour at 8pm from Tuesday (10pm on Monday). BST
  • blazing_saddles
    Today’s stage doesn’t make for great viewing. Slowly dragging uphill means to kms are ticking down with equal slowness.
    Bike Exchange obviously brought a team to tow Groenewegen around in a group of his own.
    He looks overweight and out of condition.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,442
    I wish someone would point out to Carlton that 'town planners' don't determine when roundabouts or traffic calming measures are installed.
  • Oh great it's a "crusty knoll" day
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,207
    Only watched the last 5 km or so, looked like a miscalculation from the bunch - and also from Le Gac.

Vuillermoz takes the overall lead and the stage. Apparently the first French rider to lead the GC since 2007.
  • Pross
    Good finish, I couldn't work out why Smith and Kirby were so convinced the break were going to make it as the gap was certainly still closable with 2k to go. Le Gac panicked first but if he hadn't I think they may have got caught. I would suggest Ineos definitely messed up as they certainly looked like they were trying to make the catch with 1k to go, not sure if Jumbo were bothered about the stage or not.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Kirby is certainly obsessed with roundabouts.
    Good interview with Froome before the stage.
    Vuillermoz was certainly delighted with his yellow jersey. Not sure he should have got the combativity as well though.

Pretty depressing 2 days for the BE team.

• Pross
    Being lumbered with Kirby after the excellent Giro commentary team is just highlighting his failings.
  • Pross said:

Being lumbered with Kirby after the excellent Giro commentary team is just highlighting his failings.

"...you might say"

It's just dismal
  • feelgoodlost
    feelgoodlost Posts: 311
    'Meanwhile...'

Once you notice it, it drives you up the wall.
  • Tipping point reached after 30mins commentary as Carlton mentions over half the peloton as potential winners
  • blazing_saddles

Tipping point reached after 30mins commentary as Carlton mentions over half the peloton as potential winners

That’s the key ramble in Kirby’s one size fits all, meandering monologue, that he passes off as commentary.
    So many words, so little worthwhile content.

Unbearable again today.
  • blazing_saddles
    Carlton, who was lead commentator for the recent Tour of Norway, has, this afternoon, made the observation that Juan Ayuso didn't look to be going very well at said Norwegian Tour.

UAE and Juan Ayuso were not present at the race.

FFS.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,207
    That's a decent excuse for not showing much form there.
  • Pross
    WVA mugged