XT RD installation set up challenges

Hi all, really hoping someone can help with an issue I am having, it maybe a novice mistake but any help would be appreciated.

I’m upgrading my 2018 Anthem 2 from SLX to XT, I picked up the gear and got new spank wheels with a microspline freehub. I’ve assembled all ok but as I tried to set RD to fit the low and high limit there is not enough adjustment to reach the 51t!

I’ve also noticed the RD seems to be far more forward on the hanger than my SLX was, not sure if that’s relevant. But the b screw only allows it to move a small amount and not enough to bring it lower than needed!

Any help is appreciated and wondering if there is a different hanger for the XT setup?

Cheers Martin

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Which version have you got? XT M8100 GS only copes with 45T max
    https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-xt-m8100/RD-M8100-GS.html
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited May 2022
    Sounds like the issue is regarding your new XT direct mount derailleur being fitted on a standard non direct mount derailleur hanger?

Pics would help.
  • Parts are

RD-M8100-SGS 1X12 MAX51
    SL-M8100-IR 12S
    CSM8100051 XT 12S 10X51
    KMC 12S CHAIN

I have not changed the hanger it’s the same as I used for my SLX, does the XT require a different hanger maybe! If so can anyone guide me to the right place to pick one up?
    Cheers
  • Sorry pics attached

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Dinner plate rear 52 sprocket has always been a bit extreme. Are you trying to set it up without the cable and chain on ? I’m not sure that it can be easily done that way with a 52t due to the extreme angles etc.
  • Sorry pics attached

• mully79 said:

Dinner plate rear 52 sprocket has always been a bit extreme. Are you trying to set it up without the cable and chain on ? I’m not sure that it can be easily done that way with a 52t due to the extreme angles etc.

Not really took off to show photos, I am thinking maybe I have the wrong RD for my bike frame and need a direct mount version of the XT RD?

Can anyone guide me. cheers
  • reaperactual
    With the additional pics it looks like a suitable direct mount derailleur on the correct direct mount hanger so I'd say you can rule that out and it's not the cause of
    your issue.

What model was the old SLX mech? I guess very similar, didn't have a b-link connection and that worked okay with the current hanger?
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    B screw will need winding all the way in to tilt the derraileur back to make the 52T. in the pic there's loads more adjustment in it but I cant see what its screwing on to in the pics. Try taking the derraileur off completely and have a think.
    Ive had a derraileur that could sit completely in the wrong place due to the quirky hanger shape. (ie45 degrees out of position)
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    That does look like it might be a direct mount hanger, but it's not a direct mount mech as Shimano gave up on them. The easiest fix if that is the case is to get a standard mech hanger.
  • With the additional pics it looks like a suitable direct mount derailleur on the correct direct mount hanger so I'd say you can rule that out and it's not the cause of
    your issue.

What model was the old SLX mech? I guess very similar, didn't have a b-link connection and that worked okay with the current hanger?

Hey many thanks for guidance.
    The SLX is a bit different, the hanger went in between the RD mounts, I’ve shown a pic here with the SLX in the foreground.
    Cheers
  • Oops
  • whyamihere
    Yep, the SLX is direct mount. Source a new hanger.
  • reaperactual
    edited May 2022
    Your old SLX is an M7000 model, I have the same one except with a standard hanger and b-link installed:-

Your b-link has been removed to convert it for use on your direct mount hanger.

I was totally unaware that Shimano have done away with direct mount compatibility on the new derailleurs. 😯 It's the first time I've heard that.

That being the case I agree with @Whyamihere, you now require a standard hanger which would reposition the whole derailleur to within the low limit adjustment range.
  • reaperactual

I have not changed the hanger it’s the same as I used for my SLX, does the XT require a different hanger maybe! If so can anyone guide me to the right place to pick one up?
    Cheers

Don't see a specific standard hanger for your Anthem 2 here so maybe drop them an email.

https://www.giantbikespares.com/component_finder.php?type=dropout&year=2018
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Doesn't it just need the b-link piece rather than a replacement mech hanger?
  • whyamihere
    me-109 said:

Doesn't it just need the b-link piece rather than a replacement mech hanger?

Nope. Shimano's newer mechs have gone back to the standard mounting, they don't have a b link any more, so need to be fitted onto a standard mech hanger to sit in the correct place.

It's a crappy move by Shimano, there are frames which were only produced with a direct mount hanger and so have no upgrade path, as only Shimano ever produced compatible mechs and they've now dropped them.
  • martinlee247IfflDtwm
    edited May 2022
    All done after a new hanger installed and working a dream, many thanks for all the help, here it is 😬😬
    Cheers

• reaperactual
    edited June 2022
    Nice! Just need to get it muddy now. 😃
  • Cheers, Roger that