Looking for a Non-Folding bike with 20inch wheels

Hi, I'm new to cycling and wondered if I could get some help with a question.

I live in a flat and so I'm looking for a bike with 20 inch wheels. I've owned a bike with normal sized wheels in the past but getting it up and down the stairs was difficult and I kept bashing the tyres off the walls by mistake!

All the bikes with 20 inch wheels I've seen so far have been folding bikes but I'm a bit wary of getting one of those incase it snaps! So just wondered if anyone can recommend anything?

Thanks very much

Comments

• Last non-folding 20" wheel bike I saw was a very cheap ebike from Halfords which at the time was £349 but with pandemic I think it has shot up.

If you buy a cheap 20" folding bike but never fold it the centre hinge will not wear down as much.

The hinge on steel frames in my opinion are more long lasting than the aluminium but then it will weigh a bit more.
  • karlmcr
    karlmcr Posts: 16
    orbea katu ... If you can find one.

• Buy a Brompton and I'll mig weld the joint permanently shut
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Just get a folding bike. IT WILL NOT SNAP, unless you buy one made of cheese.

It will also be much easier to take up and down stairs.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Height, age, and specs are key factors to look for when buying a bike, so you can get the most efficient and comfortable 20-inch bike. Tires can be in the form of solid foam, compressed air, hard plastic, honeycomb rubber, or solid rubber. Pneumatic tires are widely used in children's bicycles because of their more cushioning and excellent traction.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 606
    If I was regularly carrying a bike up and down stairs I'd get a Brompton.

Or a ground floor flat. Guessing the Brompton would be marginally cheaper?
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,844
    https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/16185428/polygon-zeta-compact-urban-bike-16185428 look interesting, how they ride is another matter.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kennethclark7102
    kennethclark7102 Posts: 8
    edited May 2022
    Height, age, and specs are key factors to look for when buying a bike, so you can get the most efficient and comfortable 20-inch bike. Tires can be in the form of solid foam, compressed air, hard plastic, honeycomb rubber, or solid rubber. Pneumatic tires are widely used in children's bicycles because of their more cushioning and excellent traction.