sunday où sont les étés d'antan

'ning

nippy, brr

ride and cafes, laze, bubbly

yesterday's gd'i eventually entertained, but probably won't bother with final tt bore stage
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,144
    oxoman said:

Last nights entertainment failed, even though I'm not a scouser you've got to feel for them.

Feeling bad now for decorating a red fan's desk at work with blue stuff on Friday night now after he said the desks were all a bit plain and boring. Not that much though.

Nothing planned for today again apart from a car MOT.
    Going to go for a run, calling it an experiment.

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    Football was indeed shite, not even remotely entertaining.

Good sleep in the camper van but don’t feel man flu free enough to do the planned offas recce

So head back and early pub I imagine
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    oxoman said:

Morning all. Shite sleep as calf cramped up in early hours. Pummelled into submission and worked off.
    Last nights entertainment failed, even though I'm not a scouser you've got to feel for them. Breezy and chilly start today. Enjoy folks.

Got a text from junior (in Liverpool)) this morning to say that the bins outside their flat had been burnt out over night, probably disgruntled Scousers. Luckily it didn't spread and she's out of there next week. Talk about sh***ing on your own doorstep...

Usual Sunday routine ahead.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_
    Stevo_666 said:

Got a text from junior (in Liverpool)) this morning to say that the bins outside their flat had been burnt out over night, probably disgruntled Scousers. Luckily it didn't spread and she's out of there next week. Talk about sh***ing on your own doorstep...

I think that's just a normal saturday night party thing up north, or many just around here.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Morning. Looks like my ride London cop out has turned out to be a lucky break (Peter Walker reporting emergency vehicles and an air ambulance). New wheels arriving later so will do tyre swaps etc. off up to the dead uncle’s house for the first time in a fortnight soon.

Exciting day!
  • thistle_
    johngti said:

Morning. Looks like my ride London cop out has turned out to be a lucky break (Peter Walker reporting emergency vehicles and an air ambulance).

Hope it's not too serious, and hope it's not that @homers_double guy.
    There was a local charity sportive cut short last year (or the one before?) because someone died about 2 km from the finish line, heart attack I think :disappointed:

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    thistle_ said:

johngti said:

Morning. Looks like my ride London cop out has turned out to be a lucky break (Peter Walker reporting emergency vehicles and an air ambulance).

Hope it's not too serious, and hope it's not that @homers_double guy.
    There was a local charity sportive cut short last year (or the one before?) because someone died about 2 km from the finish line, heart attack I think :disappointed:

I believe the route basically avoided narrow nasty lanes so the probability of it being a heart attack or some other medical issue is high-ish. Could be a nasty crash on a faster part of the course (he was 50 miles in). Either way, thoughts and prayers etc ☹️
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Never nice to read that sort of thing. Chances of being HD?

More Stuff Sorting, packing, disposing, etc. So. Much. Stuff.

Good news that #1 daughter made her connecting flight from Seattle to Las Vegas, had a sub 2 hour window to get through border control, customs, check in. Surprised she made it. Less good news is she posted a picture of her $62 chicken burger and bottle of water meal at her hotel on The Strip. They saw her coming with that price.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    edited May 2022
    $62 ?!?!

Well, profligate sister whom I emailed 4 weeks ago about booking a table and didn't get back to me, decided to book us in to this yuppified gaff at the 11th hour.
    1 white wine and 3 soft drinks, main course, pudding for us for... £84 and it was pants. They paid £160 something.
    I like eating out but the food has to be better than what I can cook at home. Then she decided on a £20 tip and wants a tenner from me after we had previously agreed to a fiver.
    We arrived at 6pm (on time) and left at 8.25.
    Mrs P had cold, congealed pasta with chewy chicken.
    I had slightly over cooked sea bass where the flesh was stuck to the skin and couldn't be consumed with a mash timbal - slightly lumpy and bland. The accompanied asparagus tips were chewy and the orange demi-glace was too sharp.
    I didn't go for the 'Eton mess' pudding on account of the meringue rather than sponge so opted for a safe chocolate ice cream that turned out to be minimal in size.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

oxoman said:

Morning all. Shite sleep as calf cramped up in early hours. Pummelled into submission and worked off.
    Last nights entertainment failed, even though I'm not a scouser you've got to feel for them. Breezy and chilly start today. Enjoy folks.

Maybe they were chilly.
  • pinno
    Anyhoo, sister has gone for another year.

Decided to pedal again after yesterdays breezy cool pedal and it was... breezy cool. The only difference was a bit of sun.

• Stevo_666
    thistle_ said:

Stevo_666 said:

I think that's just a normal saturday night party thing up north, or many just around here.
    Didn't think it was that unusual tbh, but Mrs. 666 was fretting a bit after the event.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

oxoman said:

Maybe they were chilly.
    Scousers having a house warming party?
  • pinno
    Why does Domenico Pozzovivo look so damn incongruous on a bicycle?
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533

North pole route due to volcanic ash in Russia. Bloody long flight.

Bubbly was administered at intervals to stay awake throughout flight to try and get back on UK time. My eyes look like piss holes in the snow...
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522

Bubbly was administered at intervals to stay awake throughout flight to try and get back on UK time. My eyes look like piss holes in the snow...

imo better to down a few, then embrace one's inner tabby and sleep all the way, get home, sleep again, it's an acquired skill

what did you get yourself? mrs s is still miffed that i got a gucci garden jewel-eyed cat money clip and she didn't, but as i explained, i was the one who had to fly, so it's only fair

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • beansnikpoh
    sungod said:

imo better to down a few, then embrace one's inner tabby and sleep all the way, get home, sleep again, it's an acquired skill

what did you get yourself?
    mrs s is still miffed that i got a gucci garden jewel-eyed cat money clip and she didn't, but as i explained, i was the one who had to fly, so it's only fair

The new Sony WH1000XM5 headphones. JPY is weak vs GBP, plus tax free meant a discount of £100 against buying here.
  • thistle_

sungod said:

what did you get yourself? mrs s is still miffed that i got a gucci garden jewel-eyed cat money clip and she didn't, but as i explained, i was the one who had to fly, so it's only fair

The new Sony WH1000XM5 headphones. JPY is weak vs GBP, plus tax free meant a discount of £100 against buying here.
    No cheap Di2?
  • Stevo_666

That is the long way. Around the world in 8 days? How many hours was the flight?
  • Stevo_666

sungod said:

what did you get yourself?
    mrs s is still miffed that i got a gucci garden jewel-eyed cat money clip and she didn't, but as i explained, i was the one who had to fly, so it's only fair

Noticed that exchange rate opportunity - just bought a watch from Japan; quite bargainous, even after adding after adding import VAT.
  • beansnikpoh
    Stevo_666 said:

That is the long way. Around the world in 8 days? How many hours was the flight?
    I hadn't thought about it like that, but, yeah, I circumnavigated!

16 hours of bum numbing....fcuk that in economy...
  • beansnikpoh
    thistle_ said:

sungod said:

No cheap Di2?
    I didn't look, no time, but there's a 5k lap around the imperial palace near where I was staying/working. I went for a walk yesterday morning. Lots of very "serious" cyclists whizzing round on v nice bikes.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

16 hours in economy - breach of human rights, surely?

I'm with sg - drink and sleep. Never stayed awake when I used to do my APAC trips, even when it was to Aus via Changi.
  • beansnikpoh
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

16 hours in economy - breach of human rights, surely?

I'm with sg - drink and sleep. Never stayed awake when I used to do my APAC trips, even when it was to Aus via Changi.
    I was in business thankfully, but I was empathising with the poor sods that weren't!

I slept 7 hours on the way out as it was a night flight. Couldn't sort myself out for 3 days.

I've been awake 24 hours now on 2 30 min power naps, going to bed at 10, hoping to ping awake at 7, bright and breezyish.

I watched a shyte ton of episodes of Ozark that I'd downloaded, and rewatched The Pianist for the first time in nearly 20 years, which is a quite superb film. Not exactly what you'd call entertainment.
  • pinno
    oxoman said:

Officially pixxed off. Dragged one of the crew on the ride today from Berwick to Warkworth and the only section we didn't drag him and left him behind he's beaten me and a mate doing 17 plus across Holy Island causeway. His garmin is getting mashed tomorrow.

Should have wrangled tides and left him stranded.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,007
    Thanks for the concern but I’m alive and well. Spent today wandering around Portobello road and Notting hill, long drive home and a decent cup of tea in bed. Might post some pics tomorrow
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno

Thanks for the concern but I’m alive and well. Spent today wandering around Portobello road and Notting hill, long drive home and a decent cup of tea in bed. Might post some pics tomorrow

Did you bump into Julia Roberts?