Giro 2022 - Stage 18: Borgo Valsugana - Treviso 151 km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
Stage 18: Borgo Valsugana - Treviso 151 km
Thursday, May 26th, 12:40 BST

The sprinters get their final outing of this Giro, as the peloton enjoys a welcome rest from the climbing. The route between Borgo Valsugana and Treviso is just 152 kilometres long without featuring major obstacles. The Muro Di Ca del Poggio is tough, but short and a long way from the finish.

The stage travels East, the South, away from the mountains.
In Treviso, the riders will be met with a circuit of approx. 11 km, to be covered only once. The last Giro finish in Treviso dates back to 2013. Mark Cavendish took the spoils ahead of Nacer Bouhanni and Luka Mezgec.

The Climbs:

Le Scale Di Primolano: GPM4, 2.3 km at 5.7%

Muro Di Ca' Del Poggio: GPM4, 1.1 km at 12.3%

Final Kms.

The final circuit is played out on wide and flat roads, with the exception of a slightly narrower sector, from the ‑4 km to the ‑2 km marker, and of a sharper corner with 3 km to go. Over the last 2 km, the road opens up, with just a final bend 1,200 m before the finish (on tarmac).

What to expect:

The remaining sprinters teams to chase the break. In the eventuality that non of the main sprinters remain, the possibility of a successful breakaway increases by some margin.

Favourites 18th stage 2022 Giro d’Italia

***** Arnaud Demare, Mark Cavendish
**** Fernando Gaviria
*** Simoni Consonni, Alberto Dainese, Phil Bauhaus
** Giacomo Nizzoli, MvDP
* Edward Theuns, Vincenzo Albanese

Borgo Valsugana

The village is the only example in Trentino that is crossed by the river Brenta. The houses climb on the slopes of Mount Ciolino where stands the Telvana castle with its towers and, below, the convent of the cloistederd nuns. The medieval character of Borgo has remained almost intact. Borgo Vals. is located in the center of the Valsugana, crossed by the beautiful cycle path of 80 km that connects Lake Caldonazzo to Bassano del Grappa. Summer in Valsugana means the beach on the Lakes of Levico and Caldonazzo or a spa relax thanks to the thermal spa of Levico and Vetriolo.

Treviso

Treviso is the historical capital of the Marca Trevigiana. Lying at the confluence of the Sile and Botteniga rivers, it is referred to as a “waterworld city”. Its many springs create a dense network of streams and canals that run across and around the city. The old town centre, located along the right bank of the Sile, dates from the Roman age.
Treviso was bombed during both World Wars, and especially on 7 April 1944. On this fateful day, 159 Allied bombers destroyed 80% of the town’s buildings, taking a toll of at least 1,600 civilian casualties.

Food

Pasta e fasioi is a staple of local cuisine. It is served as a thick soup made with creamed borlotti or Lamon beans, and ditalini pasta. Sometimes, a light mirepoix, or pork rind or cheek lard are used for added flavour. Traditionally, it is served on a layer of raw radicchio tardivo, and sprinkled with pepper.

The most highly regarded typical products include tiramisù, radicchio and Prosecco, along with Casatella Trevigiana DOP (cheese) and asparagus.

Tiramisù is a layered dessert made from sponge fingers soaked in coffee, and a custard-like cream made with eggs, sugar and mascarpone cheese. The first known recipe, invented at Le Beccherie restaurant, dates back to 1962. The name of this dessert comes from the local vernacular expression “tirame su”, a reference to the uplifting effects of its ingredients.

Beverage

Prosecco is the signature produce of the Alta Marca Trevigiana, and especially of the hills around Valdobbiadene. Here, halfway between the Dolomites and the Adriatic Sea, in a mild microclimate and on favourable soil, the finest Glera grapes are made into a balanced, characterful wine. Prosecco is an excellent pre-dinner sparkling drink. Covering a wide sweetness scale, from ‘brut’ to ‘dry’, it caters to a variety of different tastes.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    Not that it matters much, but according to the roadbook, the final circuit has been increased by 5kms.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    Lots of sharp turns. Accidents?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,308
    Almeida has covid and won't start 😢
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,564
    That's a (PTP) disaster for me.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,221

Shame.

At least he was keeping his distance from the top 3 for the last couple of days.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728

Pretty much everyone I have picked for PTP has dropped out.
    Demare's turn today. You have been warned.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,801
    God I hope that does not spread to the GC ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Shame.

At least he was keeping his distance from the top 3 for the last couple of days.
    Socially distanced chasing
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    They are off .... Labouring attacks by every one
  • mididoctors
    QS and FDJ all over everything
  • mididoctors
    I would ban that blocking
  • kingstongraham
    Seems fairly leisurely in the break today - everyone knows it's not going anywhere.
  • mididoctors
    Rui Costa came to the front of the peloton and cut one min off the gap . Not clear why exactly
  • davieb78
    davieb78 Posts: 97

I wonder if this might open up the racing more? Landa now pretty much guaranteed the podium so could be tempted to attack earlier on Saturday? Probably not!
  • blazing_saddles
    Sounds like the circuit is going to be wet, with rain forecast.
    Still time for another GC hopeful or two to crash out.

Could be last man standing.
  • blazing_saddles
    Doesn’t look to be 150 riders in the peloton
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 2022

Doesn’t look to be 150 riders in the peloton

Just checked the live stats for Leemreize - 1.7km behind Cavendish. Don't know how many are back there.
  • blazing_saddles
    Split confirmed and Maglia Bianca Lopez is out the rear by 75 seconds
  • kingstongraham
    Where's all this rain?
  • mididoctors
    They are making a fight of it
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,918
    Been catching up with Tour of Norway....Sprinters stuffed it up?
  • blazing_saddles

Where's all this rain?

More hysterical pessimism from the commentary team.

The break has this now.
  • mididoctors
    Still a min gap at 8 k to go
  • mididoctors
    They are all knackered
  • mididoctors
    Good point by hatch there ..rare
  • kingstongraham
    Break still working really well. Need to keep this going for another 4km.
  • blazing_saddles
    Magnus Cort, surely?
  • Magnus Cort, surely?

With that strain?!?!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,564
    Not over yet. Could lose 20s in the final km.