BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

I have to laugh at the old racist trope. For those making these claims what percentage of the population do they think are actually racist. I mean proper racist where they want to treat another race as inferior. Not just old people falling foul of the miss use of language.

I seem to remember when asked, between a quarter and a third consider themselves racist.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-people-admit-racially-prejudiced-white-black-asian-muslims-brexit-more-leave-voters-remain-survey-a7973751.html
    How many of the 44% do you think would go out their way to be racist to others. If we are saying that not marrying someone who is a Muslim is a racism then you should be worried about all the BAME people that share the same view of white people.
    What, like refusing foreigners the right to live and work in the UK?

So is the argument it is OK to hold racist views as long as you don't go out of your way to do so?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Stop posting on this John. You’ve not thought it through and you’re gonna embarrass yourself.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

I have to laugh at the old racist trope. For those making these claims what percentage of the population do they think are actually racist. I mean proper racist where they want to treat another race as inferior. Not just old people falling foul of the miss use of language.

I seem to remember when asked, between a quarter and a third consider themselves racist.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-people-admit-racially-prejudiced-white-black-asian-muslims-brexit-more-leave-voters-remain-survey-a7973751.html
    How many of the 44% do you think would go out their way to be racist to others. If we are saying that not marrying someone who is a Muslim is a racism then you should be worried about all the BAME people that share the same view of white people.
    Why do you think BAME people can not be racist?

Try and see racism as a spectrum
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Pross said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

What, like refusing foreigners the right to live and work in the UK?

So is the argument it is OK to hold racist views as long as you don't go out of your way to do so?
    The article was about racial prejudice. Prejudice is all around you from not giving someone a job because you don't think they dress correctly to tall people not wanting to marry short people. Go and have a chat with some ginger kids FFS. The argument is everyone is inherently prejudiced in many areas of their lives. The key is to call out proper racism where people are treated unfairly. Not ask stupid question such as hey white guy do you want to marry a Muslim. You would literally get the same sort of percentages the other way. It proves nothing and just continues the argument into the gutter where we then let actual racist acts go because a good percentage of the population can't be bothered with others over reach into their lives.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Stop posting on this John. You’ve not thought it through and you’re gonna embarrass yourself.

Try and come up with a sensible differential between a prejudice and racism. I am sure when you were selecting you future other half you had no prejudice against their personality, interests, appearance, wealth and lastly probably race.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    I can't make you take the advice, I can only suggest it.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,690

I can't make you take the advice, I can only suggest it.

It's almost as if John is trying to argue that racism suddenly comes out of nowhere, and being prejudiced against someone because of their race, just a little bit (or maybe a little bit more than that) isn't racism.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,133
    Can Boris claim non-dom?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    edited May 2022
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

Just passing on the data, John. It's there if you want to look.

https://www.bsa.natcen.ac.uk/
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    So, trade war with the EU, and no trade deal with the US. Anything else the Brexit bunglers didn't tell us?

Britain will never cave to US pressure over the Northern Ireland Protocol and negotiations over post-Brexit trading arrangements for the country, even if it costs the UK a free trade deal with Washington, the Government has warned....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/05/20/uk-refuses-cave-us-pressure-northern-ireland-protocol/
  • rjsterry
    Can't believe everyone is taking these 🤡s seriously. Every time they have threatened to take unilateral action they have eventually quietly backed down when they think no-one is looking.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    It seems to be the Tories are just spamming as many fronts as possible to retain borrowed votes from non-traditional Tories.

The fact they are trashing anything and everything in the process means they truly are taking their traditional supporters for granted. That may come to bite them.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878
    As Nancy P is in town, it is presumably an opening shot only in the discussions that will take place this weekend, and not a lot more.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    Hiliary Benn

he thing to understand is the protocol was drawn up to deal with the fact there is not going to be and never will be a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic.”

He told Mark Carruthers on Sunday Politics: “It makes sense to reach agreement as to which of the goods are not at risk of travelling on to the Republic of Ireland.

“If you take supermarket deliveries, they only sell in shops in Northern Ireland, so what actually is at risk to the integrity of the single market?

“I have become convinced the idea there should be export health certificates on a cake, sandwich, or a cut of meat crossing the Irish sea to be sold in Derry, Belfast or Strabane really isn’t necessary.”

Mr Benn added: “Even the proposals Maros Sefcovic has put forward, while they would be less than the full application of the protocol, they would actually provide more checks than are happening at the moment, as we have these grace periods.”
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    ddraver said:

and as ever...

:D I guess that means you can't back it up, so leftiebollox it is then - as ever in your case. Better luck next time ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    And it'll take a bit more than your predictable efforts to keep this thread alive and kicking....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ddraver
    edited May 2022
    Sorry, what?

We've moved on dude. Keep up
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

And it'll take a bit more than your predictable efforts to keep this thread alive and kicking....

The DUP and Tories are managing that quite well by themselves.
  • Stevo_666
    ddraver said:

Sorry, what?

We've moved on dude. Keep up

Moved on from what? Posting irrelevant pics of sea lions whenever anyone asks a question? :)
  • rjsterry
    In for your regular weekly visit?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

In for your regular weekly visit?

Yep, keeping an eye on it in case the last rites are needed. And to put someone right who appears to have a sea lion fetish.
  • rjsterry
    OK. See you next week, then.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    edited May 2022
    I'm not sure what's come over the Telegraph, but a remarkably non-Sinn-Fein-bashing bit of reporting:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/05/24/sinn-fein-tell-tory-mps-stop-pandering-dup-northern-ireland/

Sinn Fein told Conservatives on Tuesday to “stop pandering to the DUP” by threatening to rip up the Northern Ireland Protocol at a historic meeting in Parliament.

Mary Lou McDonald, the party leader who has predicted a referendum on Irish reunification in the next decade, accused Boris Johnson of using the row over the Brexit treaty to distract from partygate and the calls for his resignation.

"We've made the case very clearly that Boris Johnson needs to stop playing games, stop using Ireland as either a bargaining chip in this confrontation with the European system, or indeed as a distraction in his domestic affairs," she said before meeting Tory MPs.

Michelle O’Neill, the vice-president of Sinn Fein, said that most people in Northern Ireland support the Protocol, which created the Irish Sea border and introduced customs checks on British goods.

“The British Government needs to stop pandering to the DUP,” Ms O'Neill, who led Sinn Fein to a historic first majority in the May 5 elections to the Northern Ireland Assembly, told the BBC.

“The DUP’s voice does not reflect the wider view at home,'' she said, pointing to the pro-Protocol majority in Stormont after the elections which will make her first minister if power-sharing is restored.

The DUP, which lost its majority, claims the Protocol, which prevents a hard border on the island of Ireland, is pushing up the cost of living and driving a wedge between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.

It has refused to enter power-sharing in Stormont, and has blocked the appointment of a new Speaker to the Assembly until the Protocol is removed or replaced in UK-EU negotiations.

Ms O’Neill said the Northern Irish economy was outperforming the rest of the UK as a result of the Protocol, which gives Northern Ireland unique access to both the UK and EU markets.

“There's a lot of noise here in Britain in terms of the fact that the Protocol isn't working, but that's not the reality,” she said.

“Threatening to bring forward legislation to undermine international agreements, and take unilateral action, doesn't serve our purposes well.”

I must admit, I'd not foreseen the day when Sinn Fein would be perceivable as the voice of reason. But here we are.
  • ddraver
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,437
    ddraver said:
    moving investment and manufacture to the larger market, plus the advantage of frictionless cross-border supply chains within eu, seems sensible
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    It's what we voted for.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    It has nothing to do with Brexit.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    I guess it is because they want to be closer to the Russian market when it reopens.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,133

It has nothing to do with Brexit.

Article says: By 2027, half of the parts content going into EVs and hybrids will need to be sourced locally — either from the EU or UK — to qualify for tariff-free trade.