Giro 2022 - Stage 12: Parma – Genova 202 km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited May 2022 in Pro race
Stage 12: Parma – Genova 202 km
Thursday, May 19th, 10:50 BST

Stage 12 of the Giro d'Italia is a race of just over 200 kilometres. After cresting three peaks in the second half of the route the finale is a flat run-in of some 20 kilometers into Genoa. The RCS claim this is a challenging stage across the Apennines. The route ascends steadily with very mild gradients from Parma, along the Taro river valley, entering Liguria through the uncomplicated Passo del Bocco. The route then tackles the Colletta di Boasi and the Valico di Trensasco, which contains difficult gradients, but is far from the finish.

Unfortunately, this stage has been radically altered since the presentation of the 2022 Giro d'Italia, fundamentally changing the nature of a stage. The route formerly included Monte Becco, better known as the Monte Fasce, a climb of roughly 10 km at 7%. However, the descent was later deemed unsafe so removed any possibilty that this might been a GC stage.

Original route:

The Giro visited Genoa for the last time in 2015. It was a flat stage that culminated in a bunch sprint, won by Elia Viviani. At least this time, the finish will not involve the dangers of a large bunch traveling through the city at high speed.

Climb:

Final kms
After taking the motorway, the route crosses the San Giorgio bridge and takes the Genova Ovest exit (passing through a few tunnels), merging onto the Aldo Moro flyover up to the ‑2 km mark. Over the last 2 km, the road is straight, wide and well paved, slightly uphill, and with only one bend at the red triangle. The stage homes in on tarmac road, at approx. 2%.

What to Expect:

A few teams have riders who have been waiting for this one. The climbs are relatively easy, but should prove too much for the fast men to be too interested. On paper a chance for fast strongmen, while a successful breakaway is also an option.

Favourites 12th stage 2022 Giro d’Italia
(these are a bit random after the obvious suspect)
***** Mathieu van der Poel
**** Lennard Kämna, Mauro Schmid
*** Vincenzo Albanese, Arnaud Demare, Valerio Conti, Stefano Oldani
** Alessandro Covi, Attila Valter, Andrea Vendrame
* Giacomo Nizzolo, Davide Ballerini, Edward Theuns

Parma

With a population of 198,292 inhabitants, Parma is the second most populous city in Emilia-Romagna after Bologna.
Parma, is also referred to as “la petite capitale”, is a city in the northern Italian region of Emilia-Romagna known for its architecture, music, art, prosciutto (ham), cheese and surrounding countryside. . It is the capital of the Italian Food Valley and a UNESCO’s Creative City of Gastronomy, for its wealth of DOP and IGP products.

Food

Parma is home to a whopping 12 appellation-protected foodstuffs, including world-renowned protected designations of origin – Culatello di Zibello, Parmigiano Reggiano and Prosciutto di Parma – and protected geographical indications – Coppa di Parma, Salame Felino and Fungo di Borgotaro. As certified by the Ismea-Qualivita Report, Parma is the first province in Italy in terms of economic value generated by DOP and IGP productions. Its territory is a leading producer of pasta, canned tomatoes, dairy and, surprisingly, anchovies: despite not being a seaside territory, in fact, the Parma Food Valley accounts for 70% of Italy’s anchovy production.

Genova

Genoa, a city in Northern Italy and the capital of Liguria, is a unique jewel set between sea and mountains, as well as being the capital of the Italian region of Liguria and the sixth-largest city in Italy. In 2015, 594,733 people lived within the city's administrative limits.
The city, well connected to Milan and very close to the Alps, is one of the main ports on the Mediterranean and hides an heritage of beauty to be explored.

Gastronomy

Genoa is a city worth tasting. Its culinary tradition has ancient roots and reveals the character of the territory and the cleverness of its people who have been able to invent genuine, tasty and attractive cuisine, using simple ingredients. At lunchtime, nothing like stopping in one of the ancient sciamadde (the term comes from “flame” and identifies the ancient street chip shop with wood oven), where you can taste delicious specialties such as farinata, made with chickpea flour and baked in a wood oven, stuffed anchovies, frisceu (tasty salty fritters made with batter) and numerous vegetable pies.

Beverages

Liguria is a strip of land between the sea and the mountains, with terraces overlooking the sea, perched on the slopes: wine-growing in this area deserves the nickname of “heroic” for the passion and tenacity that requires. Wines are the expression of the area. The most representative wines, Vermentino and Pigato, cannot be missed on the table.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    I believe the Passo Del Bocco is the one Wouter Weylandt died.

Doesn't seem like 11 years ago.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645

I believe the Passo Del Bocco is the one Wouter Weylandt died.

Doesn't seem like 11 years ago.

What a lot of racing we all shared in that time .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,058
    Ewan DNS
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    red.rider said:

Ewan DNS

Surprised he's not hung about isn't there another sprint stage in a couple of days.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,123
    edited May 2022
    It looks like it should be a stage where riders want to get into a decent breakaway.

4km at 8% is probably close to the limit for the climbiest of the sprinters, but it could mean a good chase over the last 30km (if the break hasn't disappeared forever).
  • mididoctors
    red.rider said:

Ewan DNS

Something off in his head I think
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Quite short for the longest stage, no?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584

red.rider said:

Ewan DNS

A lack of team support can't help.
    Has he really annoyed them personally or is he getting pushed out for other reasons?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mididoctors
    Decent tussle ....
  • mididoctors
    MvdP trying to force a break
  • kingstongraham
    Strong break, especially if Cort gets across but doesn't look like it's the one.
  • mididoctors
    Brought back ..this may go on for a bit
  • mididoctors
    Lopez looks fatigued
  • kingstongraham
    I reckon there's going to be a split with about 30 riders in front soon.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    pblakeney said:

red.rider said:

Ewan DNS

Has he really annoyed them personally or is he getting pushed out for other reasons?
    Lotto is a total mess at the moment
  • mididoctors

pblakeney said:

red.rider said:

Ewan DNS

TdG showing his professionalism by just getting on with it . What actually is the problem at lotto ?
  • mididoctors
    It might split after the sprint I guess
  • mididoctors
    MvdP strain 11.8
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    46.6 km in 53 minutes!
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218

pblakeney said:

red.rider said:

Ewan DNS

TdG showing his professionalism by just getting on with it . What actually is the problem at lotto ?
    Senior management has collapsed.

Most riders contractually disappear if they get relegated from the WT which looks likely.

Riders lack management support - left to own devices etc
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 2022
    DeadCalm said:

46.6 km in 53 minutes!

On a gradual uphill.
  • mididoctors
    Lopez not enjoying this
  • mididoctors
    50 km or so no break
  • mididoctors

pblakeney said:

red.rider said:

Ewan DNS

Senior management has collapsed.

Most riders contractually disappear if they get relegated from the WT which looks likely.

Riders lack management support - left to own devices etc
    So basically top down ... Who at the top f**ked up
  • mididoctors
    Lopez looking like he is really going a bit deep
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2022

That's one angry peloton
  • mididoctors
    Splitting
  • Big group
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Saw the start, went out for a quick stroll, come back to find them still at it.
    Thought that might be the case
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstongraham
    It is done. Kelderman going to move up a lot on GC.