thursday applying banach–tarski to pineapple proliferation

'ning

soggy night, but drying out, mild

ride, cafe and wfh, laze, then laze, imbibe bolly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,532
    Yeah, electric storms here last night. Saved me watering.
    PCR, wfw, interview candidate, wfh, start packing.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,667
    Today I will be mowstly applying copious amounts of herbicides, continuing the strimmer action, carting keerap various to the tip before attempting a clear transit of the M6 for the 4th time in a row. Sun's out, wind's dropped, it's nice here 😎
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,406
    Nice little light show in the sky last night before turning in. Hounds paid no attention as lighting isnt small, furry/feathery and edible.

Into the office for the third day on the trot and I'm a bit knackered as I've never really agreed with early mornings. At least the coffee is free at work, but it's a classic case of you get what you pay for...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,315
    The pea and the pineapple paradox... Hmm.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    The toots sports day today will thankfully interrupt a glossing marathon.
    I can vouch for 'Loon - there's a round bright thing emanating from the East. I shall report it.
    No lightning here, pity - damn council cutbacks, though all the rain recently has made the roads a mess, gravel everywhere.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,859
    Early hound walk followed by a nice drive to Swansea on the back roads with lots of people flashing and making gestures which I assume were congratulations on your overtake.

Meetings all day, hopefully a quick run before the drinking starts
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,515
    went very dark here, parked at cafe two just before it poured down, arrived back undrenched, tubs seem to have dodged glass

cafe three stroll uneventful, need to plan lunch

finished gluing new tubs on new wheels yesterday, may give them a go later, then i've got that set ready for hols
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,396
    @sungod

White sugarloaf pineapple!? On the shelf, next to the real pineapple this morning. When did this happen? Any good?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,515
    seanoconn said:

@sungod

White sugarloaf pineapple!? On the shelf, next to the real pineapple this morning. When did this happen? Any good?

prefer proper pineapple, it's got some bite, imho sugarloaf is way too sweet
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

What's that then?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Evening folks,
    Today was my Friday which makes me very happy, lad is back from Italy and had a great time, which also makes me happy. Work is an absolute shitshow so I'm thinking about the happy things.
    Fettled the MTB ahead of a pootle tomorrow, doing our usual of getting a train to Guildford or Godamnitalming and then wobbling back along the Wey towpath. Pub lunch will feature, probably a couple of other refreshment stops for good measure.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,001
    Pi55ed down here last night in Crete, in bloody Crete!
    So today it’s freezing and windy,
    mooched about in town, had lunch and came back for dinner.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666

Pi55ed down here last night in Crete, in bloody Crete!
    So today it’s freezing and windy,
    mooched about in town, had lunch and came back for dinner.

If it makes you feel any better HD, it tanked down here last night as well. Whereabouts in Crete are you?
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,001
    Bali, a place called Filiion resort up in the hills
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    edited May 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

What's that then?
    2nd paragraph. If you can understand it, let me know 'cos I don't.

Banach–Tarski paradox
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to navigationJump to search

"Can a ball be decomposed into a finite number of point sets and reassembled into two balls identical to the original?"
    The Banach–Tarski paradox is a theorem in set-theoretic geometry, which states the following: Given a solid ball in three-dimensional space, there exists a decomposition of the ball into a finite number of disjoint subsets, which can then be put back together in a different way to yield two identical copies of the original ball. Indeed, the reassembly process involves only moving the pieces around and rotating them without changing their shape. However, the pieces themselves are not "solids" in the usual sense, but infinite scatterings of points. The reconstruction can work with as few as five pieces.[1]

An alternate form of the theorem states that given any two "reasonable" solid objects (such as a small ball and a huge ball), the cut pieces of either one can be reassembled into the other. This is often stated informally as "a pea can be chopped up and reassembled into the Sun" and called the "pea and the Sun paradox".

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,667
    edited May 2022
    And transit #4 of M6 completed with no hold ups. 👍 Lucky me. Time for a coldie and a pizza in the oven, no time / energy to be cooking after a looong day.

Edit: just encountered a very busily munching (and sneezing) hedgepig, first time this year actually to see one eating, the food's been going steadily for weeks now. Forza Spike.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

What's that then?

Banach–Tarski paradox
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to navigationJump to search

"Can a ball be decomposed into a finite number of point sets and reassembled into two balls identical to the original?"
    The Banach–Tarski paradox is a theorem in set-theoretic geometry, which states the following: Given a solid ball in three-dimensional space, there exists a decomposition of the ball into a finite number of disjoint subsets, which can then be put back together in a different way to yield two identical copies of the original ball. Indeed, the reassembly process involves only moving the pieces around and rotating them without changing their shape. However, the pieces themselves are not "solids" in the usual sense, but infinite scatterings of points. The reconstruction can work with as few as five pieces.[1]

An alternate form of the theorem states that given any two "reasonable" solid objects (such as a small ball and a huge ball), the cut pieces of either one can be reassembled into the other. This is often stated informally as "a pea can be chopped up and reassembled into the Sun" and called the "pea and the Sun paradox".

Brain too tired tonight...