Giro 2022 - Stage 11: Santarcangelo di Romagna – Reggio Emilia 203 km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
Stage 11: Santarcangelo di Romagna – Reggio Emilia 203 km
Wednesday, May 18th, 11:20 BST

This stage could rival last Thursday's for boredom.
A pan-flat stage across the lowlands of Emilia-Romagna, along the Via Emilia on straight and mostly wide roads. As the stage passes through several urban areas, roundabouts, traffic islands and street furniture will be found along the route.

The route detours just once, looping to the North, just after Bologna. Stage 11 is one of the longest races on the Giro. The race between Santarcangelo di Romagna and Reggio Emilia adds up to 203 kilometres.

Final kms
The final kilometres are on wide and well-surfaced roads, with roundabouts, traffic dividers, pedestrian islands and speed being the main obstacles. The home straight is 350 m long, on 7‑m wide tarmac.

What to Expect:

Boredom. Few will fancy getting into the break, as the sprinter teams will be all over this stage.
That should be done with as soon as the flag drops. Then nothing for about 5 hours. The speed will go up and we will then probably have a crash or two, as riders struggle to regain focus.
Buncho sprinto.

Favourites 11th stage 2022 Giro d’Italia

***** Caleb Ewan, Mark Cavendish
**** Arnaud Démare, Fernando Gaviria
*** Phil Bauhaus, Cees Bol, Mattheu van der Poel, Biniam Girmay
** Giacomo Nizzolo, Simoni Consonni, Alberto Dainese
* Ed Theuns, Sacha Modolo, David Cimolai

Reggio Emilia Parmigiano Reggiano Food Stage

To give this stage it's full title. Yes, to try and alleviate some of the inevitable boredom, the RCS have Christened this stage "The Food Stage".

Following the birth of the Wine Stage in 2014, this year’s Corsa Rosa will see the first ever Food Stage, linked in 2022 to one of the Italian excellences recognized all over the world, Parmigiano Reggiano. The stage, to which the name of the well-known Italian cheese is combined, is the Santarcangelo di Romagna – Reggio Emilia Parmigiano Reggiano Food Stage.

However, it's not just the world famous cheese that is being celebrated but the stage dedicated to food of Sant’Arcangelo di Romagna and Reggio Emilia.

Santarcangelo di Romagna

Walking through the town’s lanes, you will find lots of restaurants, trattoria, taverns and piadinerie where you can enjoy truly mouth-watering, delicious cuisine from the local area. There are also many shops where you can buy locally produced food, typical to the area. One interesting aspect of the local cuisine is the onion; many years ago, Santarcangelo was famous for its onions cultivated “from water”, so much so that the people from Rimini mocked them, calling them “Zvùléun”, “Cipolloni” or “Big Onions”.
This type of onion is still grown and is very tasty when eaten raw with radicchio, seasoned with local extra-virgin olive oil, coarse salt, Sangiovese wine vinegar and a grilled sausage in a steaming hot piadina. This is considered Santarcangelo’s typical ‘street food’ and is popular during the San Martino Fair.

According to an old legend, hundreds of years ago, the town’s Franciscan monks were great produces of red wine. One day, the convent organised a banquet in honour of a distinguished guest, offering him the best red wine from their cellar, as they were keen to make a good impression. The guest immediately wanted to know the name of this excellent wine.
After a moment of uncertainty, one of the monks suddenly stood up and exclaimed, “Sanguis Jovis” or “Sangue di Giove” (Jupiter’s Blood) thinking of the wine’s intense red colour and the name of Jupiter Hill, where Santarcangelo’s old town and the convent were located.

Over time, the two words joined together to become “Sangiovese”.

Reggio Emilia

The creativity of the Reggio Emilia cuisine has mainly developed in the first courses: the king of first courses, that is cappelletto in broth; tortelli: filled with pumpkin, typical of the Po River plain, or green, with a filling of chard and spinach; green lasagna, rice bomb and homemade tagliatelle, which in the mountains area are served with mushrooms sauce. For starters: Erbazzone Reggiano, the most characteristic culinary production of Reggio Emilia, deserves a special mention; it is a salted pie made with spinach or chard, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and onion.

Not to be missed are Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, properly called the King of Cheeses, and two drops of Reggio Emilia Traditional Balsamic Vinegar: refined flavours for demanding tastes.

Since ancient times, the Romans knew the oenological vocation of the Reggio Emilia land and appreciated the Lambrusco vine. The clusters of that vine still give birth to a sparkling wine, which has always accompanied the first and second courses of traditional Reggio Emilia cuisine. For lovers of white wines, the Colli di Scandiano and Canossa Spergola PDO will surprise. At the end of the meal, a glass of Nocino (nut liqueur) is never missing: it is an ancient liqueur linked to popular tradition, prepared with walnuts collected on St. John’s night.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I bloody love a good Roman road
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,308
    If Girmay is DNS I'm going to cry
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • It's very Giro to have an arrow straight stage with a twisty sprint run in
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,223
    Has this got scenery to match last years stage 13 for lack of interest?

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    What a pity for Girmay - hope his eye recovers well.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,919
    Team have confirmed he's withdrawn

https://intermarche-wantygobert.eu/news/binigiro/
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    Reports of a strong cross tailwind all day. Polish the klaxon
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kingstongraham
    Just seen that on Pcs. Dare we dream?
  • I'm gonna have to watch the whole darn thing now, aren't I?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    RichN95. said:

Cross tail wind will just make it fast?
    Cross head is surely echelons?
  • kingstongraham
    I'm no Wincy Willis, but if it is ESE, then it's cross tail for the first half, but after bologna it becomes a cross wind.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    Looks almost like a straight tail wind to start . You don't want a mechanical
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham

Looks almost like a straight tail wind to start . You don't want a mechanical

If its a tagliani stage, it won't matter for the first couple of hours.
  • mididoctors
    Thought more would give it a go ..
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Strain of 7.1
  • kingstongraham
    Well, if anything's going to happen, it's going to happen soon.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

RichN95. said:

Cross tail wind will just make it fast?
    Cross head is surely echelons?
    No, cross tail is best for provoking it. The reason is because the peloton is moving, which adds a headwind component.

The apparent wind - eg the wind that they feel - is the combination of both, and the effect when the wind is coming from cross-tail is that it shifts so that it feels like it's coming from the side instead. A cross-head just becomes more of a headwind once you start pushing into it.
  • kingstongraham
    Took Porte 8km to make it back to the peloton after his bike change.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    JimD666 said:

Team have confirmed he's withdrawn

https://intermarche-wantygobert.eu/news/binigiro/

My son had a similar injury earlier this year with a football hitting him in the eye. Really that needs 2 weeks with no major activity so entirely normal that he has had to pull out.

Still I know a girl who has lost two front teeth from a champagne cork hitting them
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Echelons starting and Ewan is in the wrong place at the wrong time
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    Yes but what's cees bols strain
  • mididoctors
    Everyone is too aware ..going to take multiple tries
  • mididoctors
    Fairly tail wind now
  • Fairly tail wind now

Or 'reverse headwind' as it's now called

(one for the 12th Man fans)
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    A sigh goes through the peloton as QS hit the front and give it a tweak...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    No Luke Rowe in the peloton equals no-one to force the echelons
  • mididoctors
    Fairly tail wind now
    Pross said:

No Luke Rowe in the peloton equals no-one to force the echelons

You need fenix and DQS to want to play too I think ..
  • mididoctors
    Crashy vibes
  • kingstongraham
    Ewan didn't sound happy there being left to ride on his own yesterday.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Good road captaincy by Swift.