Bike Attire questions

I’m starting to spend more time going out on my bike (cyclocross) around roads and gravel pathways. Maybe 10 miles 4-5 times a week so wanted to get some correct gear,,,

I purchased a cheap pair of DHB waist shorts from Wiggle and a cheap zip jersey from PlantX (to replace my running t-shirt that I have been wearing).

The fit of the shorts are snug but seem ok.

However the fit of the jersey top leaves me with not a very good look. I purchased the correct size for my chest but as I am carrying a little extra weight around my belly its tight and not very flattering. It hugs in all the wrong places whereas my old running T-shirt was a bit baggy so felt more comfortable.

What is the view here. Is this normal and what do people who carry a little extra weight do about it? Or have I just gone and got a bad top!

For reference here are the products I purchased:-

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-shorts-2

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCAHSSJBLK/carnac-mens-haute-short-sleeve-jersey---black

TIA

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    From the jersey description it sounds like you would have preferred the relaxed fit jersey.

"The Carnac Haute Cycling Men's Jersey features Carnacs sport fit. This cut is more streamlined and fitted than the relaxed fit jersey but is not worn as close to the body as race fit jerseys."
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Give it some stick on the the bench press to get that chest sticking out more. Or spend less time looking in the mirror.
    Most of us would like to look like Mathew Van Pole on a cross bike but it’s not going to happen.
  • I think most people worry that they look like a plum when they first put on some lycra. Took me about a year of wearing regular shorts and a loose fitting cycling jersey before I got some proper gear. It is largely just a fear of other people's perception of how you look but you quickly get over it, I wouldn't give it much thought.

If, on the other hand, you are talking about poor fit and the clothing being physically uncomfortable, then that is a different issue...
  • Thanks all.

Pblakeney, I hadn’t spotted that reference to relaxed fit so thanks. However I can’t see any relaxed fit ones on their website… :-(
  • Any recommendations on reasonably priced ‘relaxed’ jerseys?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Doesn't bother me on the bike particularly. Well documented that non-cyclists barely see us as human anyway.

Only time a feel self conscious is when I'm tramping through a garden centre to the cafe, on a group ride. Or if my wife has some friends round when I'm off for a ride.

Then I'm acutely aware of how very silly I look.
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 409
    Bib Shorts will hold you in a bit ,least it does me
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 409

Any recommendations on reasonably priced ‘relaxed’ jerseys?

Fat lad at the back do as does Cycology ,get some funky cool stuff from the latter
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    If it bothers you size up or relaxed fit.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    Buy a few stretchy base layer thingys from Planet X. They’re are great for holding in the lumps and bumps b
  • Watch out for pro/race fit unless you are pro or race shape!
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Agreed that bib shorts are way better than waist shorts. They hold your (and my) gut in a bit, don't bag out and keep your back warm. Custom jerseys often come in "race fit" and "club fit". Club fit is looser, so maybe look for a jersey in the shops with similar dimensions? Like others have said, Lycra is pretty unforgiving, so not many people look good in it. Keep riding and you'll get fitter.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • bonk_king
    bonk_king Posts: 277
    I find the best thing about looking a complete twonk on a bike, is that your helmet and glasses give you a good degree of anonymity. Whilst riding no one knows who the hell you are!

Cafe stops could take away that anonymity for a short while and may leave you feeling self conscious if you are all tarted up in lycra carrying a bit of timber.

The best thing is though, through regular riding your frame will sort itself out and in next to no time you will begin to feel better and less self conscious.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Very few people look good in Lycra, however until someone finds something comfortable, aero and good looking which means you need to ensure you have the settled opinion that inflicting the view of yourself in Lycra to the general public is something that can’t be avoided.

Besides most people are used to mamils they don’t notice so it’s all in your head

That’s what I tell myself after coming from a mtb background and now a committed and enthusiastic Lycra wearer. Besides with what’s going on in the world , a pie eater in Lycra (me) should be the last of anyones worries and if it’s not, well, I’m not minded to engage in conversation

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu