Giro 2022 - Stage 10: Pescara – Jesi 196 km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
Stage 10: Pescara – Jesi 196 km
Tuesday, May 17th, 11:20 BST

The stage is clearly divided into two parts. It begins pan-flat along the Statale Adriatica, in the Marche region. What follows is a long section of rolling terrain, with a succession of mild and steep ascents or even ‘walls’, (Recanati GPM4, 3.4 km at 6.9% features 500m at 13.8% in the middle) with no pause for recovery.

The course then takes in consecutive ascents to Civitanova Alta (up to Crocette di Montecosaro), Recanati, Filottrano, Santa Maria Nova and Monsano. Past Monsano, the finish will be just 9 km away. The second intermediate sprint in Filottrano, hometown of Michele Scarponi.
The last time that the Giro visited Pescara was in 2013, when Adam Hansen soloed to victory from the breakaway. It has been three years since Jesi saw the pro-peloton when, 2019, the Tirreno-Adriatico visited the town.

Recanati: GPM4, 3.4 km at 6.9%
With a max gradient of 18%.

Final kms
The route drops down quickly on wide roads into Jesi, with approximately 1,400 m to go. A right-hander leads into the home straight, on an average 2% incline. The finish line lies on tarmac.

What to expect:
The second half of this stage is probably too tough for the sprinters, although maybe the likes of Caleb Ewan could just hang in. However the likes of Mathieu van der Poel,Diego Ulissi and Biniam Girmay will be more heavily fancied.

Favourites 10th stage 2022 Giro d’Italia

***** Mathieu van der Poel, Biniam Girmay
**** Diego Ulissi, Magnus Cort
*** Caleb Ewan, Andrea Vendrame
** Simone Consonni, Vincenzo Albanese
* Arnaud Démare, Fernando Gaviria, Giacomo Nizzolo

Pescara

The first thing we invite you to do when you arrive in the city is to climb the Ponte del Mare, a light jewel placed where the Pescara river embraces the sea. It's oldest part has its roots in the foundations of the sixteenth-century fortress that presided over the river. In the background to the city are the Gran Sasso and the Majella.

Gastronomy

When it comes to the old and the new of food in Pescara, you are spoiled for choice. As a key Adriatic port city, it comes as no surprise that seafood figures prominently, while the surrounding areas supply a huge variety of cured meats, cheeses and other typical products.

Spaghetti Vongole

Jesi

Jesi (40,000 inhabitants) situated partly on a plain and partly on a hillock to the left of the Esino river, half way from the Adriatic Sea and the Marche Apennines. Jesi is the most important city in the river Esino valley, embracing about 20 hamlets. UNESCO has defined it as an ‘exemplar city’ thanks to the exceptional preservation of its oldest structures.

Gastronomy

The flagship pasta dish is a regional version of baked lasagne, the vincisgrassi. Once called “princisgras”, it is made from a 1784 recipe by renowned, Macerata-born chef, Antonio Nebbia.

Other regional favourites are the coniglio in potacchio, roast rabbit seasoned with garlic, sage and rosemary, and the oca arrostita, roast goose, traditionally eaten at harvest time.

Beverages

But in this land of ours, art also manifests itself in that succulent nectar, straw yellow in color, known as the Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Noone is going to chase a break ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    This is the Monsano climb that is 8.5km from the finish:

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    Monsano must be good for a MSR type attack, plus the riders should have a bit in the legs after the rest day. Anyone using a dropper would be a prime suspect for attacking. You'd need a good 20-30 seconds going over the top I would think.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Pescara is lovely - fantastic town, food, beach and people, utterly wonderful riding all around. Home of IronMan Italia for a bit. Also 1Euro pizza man is there so that's a winner.

Fly in straight in on EasyJet and have a mega holiday.

V recommended.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2022
    In case anyone was in any doubt about how great the weather is....

The weather looks to be getting hotter throughout the week and little sign of any rain into next week.

The flag is dropped and immediately it looks as if more teams are sniffing the breakaway.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Must be annoying when you are giving your all to attack and you look over your shoulder to see the peloton keeping pace whilst more or less freewheeling like the one guy trying to bridge a few minutes ago.
  • mididoctors
    Ambitious by lotto
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244

Ambitious by lotto

They need a good Giro as it is a real mess behind the scenes.

https://www.velonews.com/news/road/senior-lotto-soudal-manager-quits-tim-wellens-wants-to-leave/
  • kingstongraham
    :D

• mididoctors
    Ambitious by lotto

Ambitious by lotto

https://www.velonews.com/news/road/senior-lotto-soudal-manager-quits-tim-wellens-wants-to-leave/
    Thanks., Not clear exactly what's going on there. TdG stage ain't bad what's the relegation battle looking like now? . Israel and bike exchange look more desperate I thought?
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2022

Tom steels energy ..very 1997
  • Ambitious by lotto

Ambitious by lotto

Thanks., Not clear exactly what's going on there. TdG stage ain't bad what's the relegation battle looking like now? . Israel and bike exchange look more desperate I thought?

Still a thousand points or so from safely even with some decent scoring recently compared to BEX

https://lanternerouge.com.au/2022/05/09/lotto-starts-its-comeback-and-bikeexchange-prays-for-yates-relegation-battle/

• mididoctors
    Trying to remember what Israel has done all season .
  • mididoctors
    Still plugging that strain gauge
  • mididoctors
    dear gcn please stop
  • mididoctors
    Strain 9.6
  • dear gcn please stop

Yep - adds absolutely nothing.

And really not selling it as something I need either (which I'm guessing is the intention)
  • blazing_saddles

Tom steels energy ..very 1997
    Mmm, yes. That was the example that came to mind.
    Robbie McEwen just talking about it. He is very surprised that no action was taken, but because there is a fixed penalty, they chose to sweep it under the carper.
    The fixed penalty being what happened to Tom Steels: booted off the race. I don't think he would have got away with it at Le Tour.

Lopez is a very, very lucky boy.
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2022
    GCN are pretty guilty for promoting expensive tech onto the cycling sport public .
  • blazing_saddles
    Dan Lloyd brings up what happened to Michael Schär at the Ronde last season.
    The UCI really are a law unto themselves.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    Lets be fair to the UCI. They've been accused of many things, consistency though has never been one of them
  • blazing_saddles
    Carapaz has been on the ground at some point
  • mididoctors
    Ouchie
  • mididoctors
    Caleb... Finished ...he is going to pack
  • mididoctors
    Caleb needs to get his head right
  • mididoctors
    Stiff climb
  • kingstongraham
    Someone wants to make that hard in the peloton, it's going to blow it apart.
  • blazing_saddles
    This is a real grind
  • mididoctors
    Go on cav
  • mididoctors
    Tough stage ... Riders going out the bike ..67 k.to go