Long reach calipers

Evening folks.
Just picked up a 2013 Synapse frame and gone to built it up this evening and found my Ultegra Calipers wont fit it. Any recommendations for something 105 level and up?
I'm using 105 5700 Brifters

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited May 2022
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    ^^these! Got them to replace the non shimano brakes that came on the synapse frame from that year and they work well. Not quite as nice as normal reach brakes - I find them a little on/off but 1. That’s probably down to how I’ve set them up, and 2. i can get guards on easily so that sort of makes up for it!
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    You can get offset brake shoes to extend the reach of standard calipers. Mate uses them with proper 105 calipers and says they’re better than the long reach brakes he had been using. Like these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165061290383
  • davecara
    davecara Posts: 104
    Thanks for the input folks, I've picked up a pair of Miche ones for 40 quid from my lbs, they'll allow me to get out at least for now.
    I'll see how they go and replace them with either some shiney new 105 ones of i'll try those offset shoes out :)
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    TRP RG957 long reach brake calipers are the best that I have found. Shimano ones are just too flexible.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    rwoofer said:

TRP RG957 long reach brake calipers are the best that I have found. Shimano ones are just too flexible.

I have no experience of Shimano but I got TRPs based on similar comments. They are much better than the Condor branded ones they replaced but don't expect similar performance to short reach brakes. I'm regularly surprised by the difference every spring.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.