Camelbak Podiums don't stay put in bottle cages

rwoofer
rwoofer Posts: 222
I've just invested in some Podiums because the dirt versions come with a cap for the nozzle. However I find they are a very loose fit in all three different types of bottle cages I have. One jolt and they are out.

Anyone experiencing the same and do temporary fixes like extra tape on a bottle work long term?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    rwoofer said:

I've just invested in some Podiums because the dirt versions come with a cap for the nozzle. However I find they are a very loose fit in all three different types of bottle cages I have. One jolt and they are out.

Anyone experiencing the same and do temporary fixes like extra tape on a bottle work long term?

Nope. No sizing issues at all using Elite cages on multiple bikes.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I found mine got squeezed out of Elite cages. Have swapped cages and have 3 different types that hold them fine.
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 442
    rwoofer said:

I’ve got Podiums - the road version and have had no issues. I use both Specialized or Lezyne cages.
  • rwoofer
    Elite cages seem to be the problem as I have different version across all my bikes. Problem is the protective caps on Elite bottles keep snapping off, hence the move to Camelbak.

Looks like I'm going to have to experiment with some hacks.
  • wobblebob
    wobblebob Posts: 73
    I've got both the new and old model of podium bottles and a podium chill, have been using them for 5 years with the Elite race cage and never lost a bottle
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,844
    I've been using Podiums for 3/4 years and no issues in various PlanetX cages.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    I've been using podiums (normal/chill/ice) of both old and new style for circa 12 years. Elite cages are tight, and I have to properly seat them each time, but zero losses or near misses even.

Also use them with blackburn and supacaz carbon cages where they are far less snug, and again, zero issues or near ones.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Never had a problem with my Podiums coming out of my bottle cages.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,558
    edited May 2022
    I've had a few ejections (excuse me). Over time, plastic cages can wear with all the road vibration, causing a looser fit. I haven't used any of the new type Elite race cages, but the older ones certainly wore out.
    I like the Tacx deva cages.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,312
    No issue with cube cages - slightly too hard to put the bottle in if anything
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • feelgoodlost
    feelgoodlost Posts: 312
    I have this issue with Tacx cages and Podium bottles. I've popped a little bit of spare bar tape on the insides of the cage and that sorts it. You only need a thin strip here and there.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

I have this issue with Tacx cages and Podium bottles. I've popped a little bit of spare bar tape on the insides of the cage and that sorts it. You only need a thin strip here and there.

This, exactly.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • rwoofer

Thanks. Have some spare and that is what I'll do.

By the way I have some older Podiums and they have the opposite problem, so damn tight it is a struggle to get them out.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    No issue with my podium bottles off-road in any of the cages I've used them in. Though i don't like the podium off-road, the cap is flexible so hard to put back one handed which can be needed when off-road.
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    edited May 2022
    Old Podium, no problems - fitted cage well (old Bonty carbon cage) and form was perfect for grasping with sweaty hands!

‘New’ Podium - a step backwards. Loose in the cage - not lost a bottle, but might use the bar tape hack to be safe - and much harder to grasp and drink from (IMO).