Servicing a Joe Blow Max HP track pump?

This morning, after ten years of faultless performance, my Joe Blow Max HP track pump started binding when pumping. Then it got very stiff as though something was binding inside the barrel, then it suddenly went free but now no longer pumps air. It felt like the end of the valve/washer/whatever came off the connector rod. I Googled the problem and got nothing. If only my track pump was a different model to the "Max HP" then it would be easy.

I could not find any service manuals, nothing on You Tube etc. Some promising threads on other bikes sites also proved to be unhelpful.

Surely the Joe Blow Max HP is serviceable? Does anyone out there know how to fix this?

After ten years it doesn't owe me anything, but I am loathe to chuck it in the bin if it can be easily fixed.

Comments

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Thanks @masjer I had no difficulty finding service kits, the problem was dismantling the track pump so that I could get to the O-ring in question.

No matter where I looked, I could find no solution. The closest I got was with a different model of the Joe Blow track pump. It had tiny holes at the bottom of the top collar where the lugs were that contained the hose when stored. The tiny holes contained even tinier Allen screws that when withdrawn allowed the top collar to be removed. My top collar also had tiny holes, but no screws! I used a torch and a magnifying glass to find there was nothing inside the holes or at the bottom. At that point I asked for help.

Anyway, I now have the answer!! (Thanks to another forum). It's a two-man job (well my wife and I). :)

Using two tiny Allen keys (or other small diameter items), insert into the two tiny holes simultaneously. Then get another person to pull firmly on the top collar. Pressing on the keys pushes two detents out of the way allowing the top collar to be pulled off.

Once the collar was off, I could withdraw the connector rod and I could see that the O-ring had come off. I cleaned it all up, regreased and reassembled and it works just fine now. But I ordered a service kit anyway, so I should be good for another ten years. :)
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    That sounds like a fiddle! Good job and a nice cheap fix.
  • gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99
    How many would have given in and just got a new one!!
    Good work Steve.
  • steve_sordy
    masjer said:

That sounds like a fiddle! Good job and a nice cheap fix.

No fiddle! I held the track pump between my legs, inserted the prods and asked my wife to pull my end off. It came off easily and I was well satisfied. <3

The P&P cost more than the service kit.
  • steve_sordy
    edited May 2022
    error

Inadvertent paste, can't find out how to delete, only to replace with "error".
    Anyone know how?