Giro 2022 - Stage 9: Isernia – Blockhaus 189 km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
Stage 9: Isernia – Blockhaus 189 km *****
Sunday, May 15th, 11:35 CET

Here we go, the second weekend ends with the Giro's first 5 star rated stage, across the Apennines, with a 5,000 m elevation gain and includes a double ascent of Blockhaus. The Blockhaus was first included on the 1967 Giro d’Italia with Eddy Merckx powering to his first stage win in a Grand Tour. The fun begins right at the starting town of Isernia, where the riders will immediately climb the first climb of the day.

The road will keep undulating until the town of Pretoro, at 54 km to go. The riders will head south towards the Majella massif, where they will tackle the first ascent of the Passo Lanciano (GPM1, 10.3 km at 7.6%) The descent is along a much steeper road, but it is not very technical. At 27 km to go, the road will rise yet again gently (around 4-5%) up until Roccamorice, where the final intermediate sprint is located and the final climb of the Blockhaus starts. (GPM1, 13.6 km at 8.4%)

The Climbs:

Rionero Sannitico: GPM2, 10.1 km at 6%
A good climb split in two by a short flat section that lowers the average gradient.

Final kms
The last 13 km go up steadily on narrow road, with several hairpins. Gradients are over 9% for almost 10 km, with peaks reaching as high as 14%. There is a very short countersloping stretch 500 m before the finish. The home straight (200 m long, on 6-m wide tarmac) has an uphill gradient of approx. 8%.

What to expect:

Expect the serious contenders for the Maglia Azzurra to show their hand as there are a lot of points available throughout the stage. However, Blockhaus being one of the toughest climbs in this edition, ( In 2017, this finish defined the race) we can also expect a full on GC battle, which should bring to the fore the real contenders and relegate the pretenders.

As for the sprinters, with that punishing climb coming so early in the stage, they face a battle for survival that I am afraid for some may prove too much.

Favourites 9th stage 2022 Giro d’Italia

***** Simon Yates
**** Mikel Landa, Richard Carapaz
*** Romain Bardet, Pello Bilbao
** Wilco Kelderman, Richie Porte, João Almeida, Hugh Carthy
* Wout Poels, Jai Hindley, Thymen Arensman

Isernia

Isernia set in a landscape of mountains with snow-capped peaks until the end of April. Today the historic center of Isernia, hit several times by earthquakes and wars, still retains many peculiarities, making it unique in some respects: archaeological sites, fountains, squares, alleys, churches and local crafts.

Gastronomy

The food and wine tradition of the Province of Isernia and its capital is characterized by simple and genuine dishes of peasant origin. Numerous dairies with centuries-old traditions transform cow, sheep and goat milk producing both fresh and seasoned cheeses, such as the famous stracciata di mozzarella, caciocavallo, manteche, pecorino and ricotta.

Caciocavallo

The territory is rich in truffles, especially the “white prized” one that can be tasted in autumn. Among the typical dishes we find pasta alla chitarra, cavatelli with water and flour, potato and flour gnocchi with tomato and pork and pappardelle with wild mushrooms.

Beverages

The enological identity of Molise is “Tintilia”, a vine rediscovered about 15 years ago, now in the production of rosé, red and red reserves. Tintilia is a native grape of Molise, for centuries considered by the local population to be the grape of qualitative excellence. The Pentro di Isernia wine, red DOC whose production is allowed in the province of Isernia exclusively with Montepulciano and Sangiovese vines, deserves a particular mention.

Blockhaus

This climb, whose name is apparently suggestive of a German scenery, is actually located almost at the very centre of Italy, nestled in the Maiella massif, in the Abruzzo region.
The name ‘Blockhaus’ – meaning ‘stone house’ in German – is thought to come from an Austrian commander who was stationed atop the mountain, where a stone fortress was standing, with a squad of riflemen to fight banditry in the early years after the Unification of Italy.
The Blockhaus first featured in the route of the Giro d’Italia exactly one hundred years later, on 31 May 1967, marking one of the greatest moments in the history of cycling. The hero of the day was a young man from Tielt-Winge, in the Flanders region. Aged less than 22, and on his maiden Giro, he was already twice a Milan-Sanremo winner.
That day, many said ‘Victory on the Blockhaus went to a sprinter’, as to emphasize that the ‘others’ – the climbers, the front-runners – played a waiting game.
They still didn’t know that what they had just witnessed was bound to change cycling, forever.
They still didn’t know that the young man who had just conquered the summit of the Blockhaus would eventually become the greatest rider of all time – Eddy Merckx.

Zilioli attacked at two kilometres out. Merckx, the only one who managed to hold his wheel, ultimately took his first Giro stage.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    Lopez to hang on to the jersey ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Always assumed Blockhaus was up near the Austrian border because of the name.
  • blazing_saddles

This was the result 5 years ago, when they last tackled this climb. Notorious for the police bike taking out GC hopefuls, Kelderman, Thomas and Landa.

However, that stage looked like this:

With most of the GC men currently around 2 minutes off Lopez, I would say it's unlikely he will still be wearing pink, tomorrow evening.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130
    Someone's definitely leaving the gc battle tomorrow.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130

Nope.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593

Someone's definitely leaving the gc battle tomorrow.

Whoever I pick as PTP the way things are going.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    Maybe they will have a weather issue with the descent of Passo Lanciano...

• mididoctors
    Short ride.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Active start ..riders everywhere
  • mididoctors
    Bilbao has a off
  • mididoctors
    Race unsettled
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Bilbao looking a bit roughed up there, just another 175km to suffer it today 😢
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    The only way the camera can find Bilbao is if he has a crash.
    Young Buitrago had been looking good too.
    So, amazingly Landa is Bahrain's only non-crashy GC bloke.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Ineos come to the front with 100k to go, gap starts to fall. Think they want a shot at the stage
  • mididoctors
    This gap looks inadequate
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Under 4 mins isn't going to be near enough, especially if any gc teams want to make it hard on Passo Lanciano
  • mididoctors
    Well at least ineos want to race I guess
  • mididoctors
    Peters going for the Kom
  • mididoctors
    Ineos putting the hurt on.. reduced Peloton
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Interesting line on that corner
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    One of the leaders has crashed on the descent. Now standing.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    Lucky the gap was there, but he totally messed up the line into the corner.
  • He was lucky there, probably found the best spot to crash
  • blazing_saddles
    Rosa not the greatest of descenders. He's being caught by the chase group, who in turn are being caught by the peloton.

Kelderman bike change.
  • mididoctors
    Kelderman picked a fine time
  • blazing_saddles
    The Maglia Rosa is slipping down the bunch
  • Hatch already reduced to a stream of hyperbolic nonsense
  • blazing_saddles
    Dumoulin and Ciconne out the back door already
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2022
    Yates dropped!!!!!
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Yates dropped!