sunday do the alligator

'ning

mild, but cloudy, chance of soggy

maybe ride, definitely cafes, laze to gd'i mountains, bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Tired and walking is a slight issue but otherwise feeling great.

Today is potentially a little jog with the kids if they remember my drunk offer.

Then pack up and head south so we can get to the pub 😎
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    edited May 2022
    Up too early to walk the hounds before it gets a bit warm for them. Fitted in a bike ride last night just as the sun was going down, saw a couple of wild deer who scarpered pretty sharpish. Let's see how much the leg aches today.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    only got rained on a bit, but wet road stabbed rear tub, tube bulging through the cut, grr, prepping now to fit a new one while watching gd'i

will no one think of the tubs, bring back summer
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,520
    Solved my derailleur cabling woes.

Extinguished the bike, retrieved from bowling green, bent it back into shape. I'd been putting too much tension on the cable before securing it with that nut thing. So when it was at lowest tension, it was half way up the block. So as I applied more tension, the cable just ratcheted round and round and ate itself.

Now it goes from 11 to 1 nicely...

You learns from your mistakes!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Soggy overnight.
    That delays grass cutting plans.

Benny Beans caught a mouse. He carried around like a trophy and played with it. He seemed slightly miffed because it eventually didn't try to run away. Being dead isn't conducive to running away.
    Now he's totally hooked and back to where he caught it.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    One of ours caught a squirrel this morning - slight caveat that it was already dead. Not nearly as interesting interesting as when they're alive and moving. At least he didn't try to eat it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    Bloody hot.
    Slightly pink.
    Bombed the women/standard.
    Shading with beer.
    Will venture out for another hour of crispness.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Afternoon folks,
    Traditional slow start was enjoyed. Followed by a bit of pottering. Went by the old dear's new place to measure up for wardrobes, old place has almost completely gone. Went for a walk in the Isabella Plantation with the EPO, thought the rain would keep the masses away. Unfortunately not. It seems if people plan for a picnic out with the kids they can't change their plans, or even attire, once the decision has been made. Several groups of people with lots of grumpy kids looking like drowned rats. Not a waterproof or umbrella between them.
    Might go and tinker in the garage after my coffee.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Yo. Been a lovely weekend following a nottooshit week. Celebrated Mrs GTi’s 40th by taking her up that there London. Phantom of the opera yesterday afternoon, meal at kerridge’s bar and grill last night, stay in a hotel, nice bit of cake at lunchtime. Last night’s meal was amazing (as it should have been - most I’ve ever paid for a meal out!), still stuffed now.

Anyway, brownie points earned allowed me to get some mitts and a jumper from the Rapha shop so that’s a result. And just bought some time pedals, which I’m going back to as my poor knees haven’t coped well with my shimano experiment. Fun times!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318

Afternoon folks,
    Traditional slow start was enjoyed. Followed by a bit of pottering. Went by the old dear's new place to measure up for wardrobes, old place has almost completely gone. Went for a walk in the Isabella Plantation with the EPO, thought the rain would keep the masses away. Unfortunately not. It seems if people plan for a picnic out with the kids they can't change their plans, or even attire, once the decision has been made. Several groups of people with lots of grumpy kids looking like drowned rats. Not a waterproof or umbrella between them.

@veronese68 Planning a picnic Tuesday evening in the Isabella. Are the Rhododendrons still looking good? Is Broomfield hill car park open?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Spent what turned out to be most of the day so far round at #1 daughter's place, pressure washing (in the rain) her patio, it's one of these modern ceramic tile ones, and tidying out her midden of a garage. Have a load of junk stacked on back of rumblewagon so trip to the tip first thing.

Pour a coldie, sit down, Giro on catch up.
  • beansnikpoh
    edited May 2022
    seanoconn said:

Afternoon folks,

@veronese68 Planning a picnic Tuesday evening in the Isabella. Are the Rhododendrons still looking good? Is Broomfield hill car park open?
    After the rhodos come the azaleas, which are also gorgeous. Yes, Broomfield carpark is open, but you can only get to it turning right at Kingston gate and going up dark hill. You can't go up Broomfield in a car.

A blue badge for your frozen shoulder and tweaked back will get you in the carpark where the bogs are. Turn off at Ham Cross.
  • beansnikpoh
    And lo, once the new gear cable is in place, H and L screws properly dialled in, gears indexed, derailleur and jockey wheels cleaned reasonably diligently, sticky piston unstuck (there was a sram pdf guide I downloaded) both brakes bled; the deity of cycling proclaimeth that no new bike is required. All clicks have vanished, the gears behave themselves, and even the horrendous racket my front brake makes in the rain seems to have diminished. I even had all the bits in my bike box, so it cost me nowt.

Mind you, I did knacker 2 gear cables completely, but they're not that expensive.

Which day were we riding V?
  • beansnikpoh
    edited May 2022

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318

And lo, once the new gear cable is in place, H and L screws properly dialled in, gears indexed, derailleur and jockey wheels cleaned reasonably diligently, sticky piston unstuck (there was a sram pdf guide I downloaded) both brakes bled; the deity of cycling proclaimeth that no new bike is required. All clicks have vanished, the gears behave themselves, and even the horrendous racket my front brake makes in the rain seems to have diminished. I even had all the bits in my bike box, so it cost me nowt.

Mind you, I did knacker 2 gear cables completely, but they're not that expensive.

Today you have joined the ranks of the fettling kings. Admired by men, irresistible to women.

You man, fix bike good. Respect.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • beansnikpoh
    seanoconn said:

Today you have joined the ranks of the fettling kings. Admired by men, irresistible to women.

You man, fix bike good. Respect.
    Took me all weekend. I think the kids are OK, mind you, I've not seen them for a while.... ;) I will be showing Mrs B³ my work and explaining it in detail. I fully expect to get lucky tonight.

Also drove over to MiL's and mowed and strimmed her front and back lawn. Took feckin' ages, like a jungle it was. Uprooted a couple of teazles and other weeds.

They should just move somewhere that they can cope with themselves....
  • veronese68
    seanoconn said:

Afternoon folks,

What B³ said. Some of the flowers have gone over, but there are still loads of others of course. I'm not Percy Thrower so I can't be sure, from what B³ says the Rhododendrons have passed and Azaleas are blooming marvellous.
    I'd come and join you but we've got after work drinks in Twickenham on Tuesday.
  • veronese68

Excellent, hope you had a celebratory beer. I had to fit a tyre for a neighbour as her thumbs weren't up to it. Removed bottom bracket from green bike, cleaned threads and reassembled. Hopefully that got rid of the creaking. Put pedals and chain on the old school roadie in the hope of the seat post arriving this week. Hopefully it won't rain tomorrow, I didn't clean my bike to try to help the weather.