Giro 2022 - Stage 8: Napoli – Napoli 153 km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
Stage 8: Napoli – Napoli 153 km
Saturday, May 14th, 12:35 BST

This challenging and intense stage, raced entirely on urban roads, sets off passing over the finish line. Past Bacoli, the riders will cover the Monte di Procida circuit (19 km) four times. The lumpy route adds up to 149 kilometres. Italy's third largest city hasn't seen the Giro visit since the Grande Partenza of 2013. Then, the 1st stage was a criterium race and Mark Cavendish turned out on top.
This years stage is also a city criterium, only much hillier.

The riders will start in the city, then head west along a wide counterclockwise loop.

The route climbs up the Posillipo hill, heading to Bacoli and taking a loop along the coast. After approximately 50 kilometres, they reach the circuit in Monte di Procida, which is to be repeated 4 times. The circuit is 19 km long and features a categorized climb, Monte di Procida (GPM4, 2.1 km at 6%)

Final kms
The stage gets back to Napoli using the most of the same roads as before, consisting of some rough terrain and a small climb topping at 8 km to go
The last 3 pan-flat kilometres run eastwards along the Via Dohrn and Via Caracciolo. At the last km, the route takes a U‑turn at a roundabout, and returns along the Via Caracciolo all the way to the finish. The home straight (900 m) is on tarmac.

What to Expect.
The Naples stage at this Giro includes a series of short and sharp hills. Which makes it perfect for riders with good credentials in the hilly Classics. There will be very little to be gained for GC riders, so the breakaway will likely be given enough leash to succeed.

Favourites 8th stage 2022 Giro d’Italia

***** Mathieu van der Poel, Biniam Girmay
**** Magnus Cort, Diego Ulissi
*** Andrea Vendrame, Valerio Conti, Jhonatan Narváez
** Mattias Skjelmose, Vincenzo Albanese,
* Ben Tulett, Mauri Vansevenant, Attila Valter

Napoli

Naples holds a remarkable historical and artistic heritage, and an endless cultural legacy, in a stunningly beautiful natural setting at the foot of the Vesuvius, overlooking the sea.
The age-old history of Naples goes back to the first Greek colonies in the area of modern-day Castel dell’Ovo. The settlers later founded a new city, nea polis in Greek, which is where the place name Napoli comes from. Its province-level municipality is the third-most populous metropolitan city in Italy with a population of 3,115,320 residents, and its metropolitan area stretches beyond the boundaries of the city wall for approximately 20 miles.

Gastronomy

Neapolitan food relies heavily on the use of french words. For instance gâteau, made with potatoes or the famous meat ragoût, croquets also made with potatoes, are just some examples. The reason is that once the rich neapolitan families used to have in their houses french chefs called monzù (from the french word monsieur) that introduced french terms into the neapolitan gastronomic culture.
The most famous food is pizza. According to the tradition it was prepared for the first time by the end of the XIXth century in honour of Margherita of Savoy, queen of Italy. So the most important version of pizza with tomatoes, basil and mozzarella is called Margherita.

“Pastiera” is very appreciated. It is filled with wheat, ricotta cheese, sugar and eggs and it is the typical Easter cake. But it is also eaten during the whole year as well as babà and sfogliatelle, typical of the local bakery too.

Beverages

Coffee is one of the symbols of Naples. In Naples there is the custom of “caffè sospeso”: when you take a coffee in a bar you can pay for an other coffee than is destinated to an other customer who will ask for. In this way is offered to a person who can not afford the price of the coffee.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    Looking forward to this one.
  • blazing_saddles
    MvDP kicks off early

• Large break slowly pulling out the gap, currently up to 2'30" coming up to the first intermediate sprint
  • Trek pulling in peloton due to presence of G.Martin
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    This is going to fly by
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    MvdP never shy of putting in the effort
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Did this group go from the gun?
  • mididoctors
    Wout poels is putting in the km
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Large break slowly pulling out the gap, currently up to 2'30" coming up to the first intermediate sprint

That'll be good for Thomas in the De Gendt GC if it stays away ..
  • Did this group go from the gun?

MvdP more or less did and was on his own for a bit until the break coalesced around the 10-12 km mark
  • mididoctors

Did this group go from the gun?

MvdP more or less did and was on his own for a bit until the break coalesced around the 10-12 km mark
    Cheers
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,194
    Woah. MvdP goes. Girmay chasing
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • 46km left, MvdP's had enough and goes on the attack!
    Schmid, Girmay, Poels back to his wheel but pulling the break apart
  • blazing_saddles
    46kms out and MvDP blows the break to bits
  • mididoctors
    Lotto are going to be annoyed if they don't make the selection here after all the work TdG did
  • Back together up front. Bardiani rider has a go while they look at each other
  • blazing_saddles
    Back in the bunch and the bus begins to form
  • mididoctors
    Cav suffering at the back ..really digging In
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Break coming back together, minus about half, but it's all just attacks and counters now
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Five including de gendt now in front by about 15"

Not sure how organised the chasers are.

Think MvdP might have been his own worst enemy
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Lotto are going to be annoyed if they don't make the selection here after all the work TdG did

Think he's reasonably happy now
  • mididoctors
    Lottocou

Think he's reasonably happy now
    Great counter by lotto ...
  • mididoctors
    All in TdG..
  • mididoctors
    They need to ride ..TdG can't do it all
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Gap keeps wavering between 15-35"

• mididoctors
    Strongest guys from behind breaking away
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Girmay then Schmidt blew the chasing group up. Now 5 Inc mvdp & Poels and they're working together
  • blazing_saddles
    TdG is having one of his days.
    Even the cream of the break can’t close him down.
  • mididoctors
    TdG hurting every ones legs
  • No_Ta_Doctor

TdG is having one of his days.
    Even the cream of the break can’t close him down.

He really is. Burying himself for his teammate