Giro 2022 - Stage 7: Diamante – Potenza 196 km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
edited May 2022 in Pro race
Stage 7: Diamante – Potenza 196 km
Friday, May 13th, 10:40 BST

Friday the 13th...............and potentially a date with a stage that could do real damage to an individual's GC hopes.
Although classed as a medium mountain stage, travels from Diamante to Potenza and takes in a whopping elevation gain of 4,510 metres. Montagna Grande di Viggiano, although categorised as a two, is a very tough climb, always very steep and with many two-digits ramps.

Heading North, the only flat kilometres are the first 40. This section leads along the Golfo di Policastro and once the route turns inland the road goes either up or down for the rest of the day. Past Maratea, the route undulates continuously, with milder or harsher gradients. Even after the finish of the official climbs, the route, continues to undulate all the way to Potenza.

Technical Info.
The Climbs:

Passo Colla: GPM3, 9.3 km at 4.5%

Monte Sirino: GPM1, 24.4 km at 3.8%
Not seen in the Giro since 1999, from this side is long and very irregular.

Montagna Grande di Viggiano: GPM2, 6.6 km at 9.1%
Were this climb in the Tour, it would be considered a hard GPM1.

La Sellata: GPM3, 7.8 km at 5.9%
In it's own, nothing special, but after all that climbing, it could be hard enough for a GC hopeful to launch a serious attack.

Final kms.
The final kilometres are raced entirely on urban roads. The route runs uphill across the inner city, with sharp gradients at points, and then descends along wide and well-paved avenues. There is a short tunnel at the ‑2 km marker, leading into the finish avenue. The last 350 m have an average 8% gradient, topping out at 13%. The finish sits on tarmac.

What to expect:
Tough to call. Probably some very good climbers will try to make it into the break, in order to start their campaign for the Maglia Azzurra, but any contender who has already lost time, might also what to get up the road, as this stage might go to the breakaway........or not.

Favourites 7th stage 2022 Giro d’Italia

***** No one, since this is pin in the startlist time.
**** Wout Poels, Bauke Mollema
*** Mauro Schmid, Attila Valter, Alessandro de Marchi, Magnus Cort
** Thomas De Gendt, Alessandro Covi, Lennard Kämna, Rein Taaramäe, Mauri Vansevenant
* Nans Peters, Lilian Calmejane, Valerio Conti, Harm Vanhoucke

Diamante

Diamante is a lovely town in the province of Cosenza. It is located in one of the most picturesque areas in the north tirrenic cost. This area is called “Riviera dei cedri” because of the huge cultivation of citrus. Diamante is a candidate for the Capitale Italiana della Cultura 2024 contest – in English “Italian Capital of Culture”. It has already won the Blue Flag award for seawater quality.

Gastronomy

The typical gastronomy of the town is rich and varied: you can taste fish and sea-food dishes as well as rural dishes. Every dish is always topped with a little bit of chilly pepper, mostly with the one called “Diavolicchio Diamante”, that is a local type of this spice. There are several unique dishes ideal to be tasted by tourists: first of all, one of the most famous dishes is “la Raganella”, the perfect match between sea food and chilly pepper. If you don’t like this spicy taste, there are dishes made of a local variety of citrus, the one called “Liscia Diamante”.

Beverages

Diamante and its long tradition of wines and liquors. Diamante collaborates with Verbicaro, a nearby town, in the production of a wine that boasts the “domination of controlled origin”. Cirella has an important relationship with wine, too. Andrea Bacci, author of the book “de Naturali Vinorum Historia” (1595) named Cirella “Vinipoli”, city of the wine. Some centuries ago, “il Chiarello di Cirella”, a sweet wine, was famous because it was liked by Pope Sisto V. The Association “Cerillae” organizes every year in July and August the festival “Calici Sotto le Stelle”, to enhance every oenological excellences. This event will celebrate its 13th anniversary in 2022.

Potenza

The capital of Basilicata for over two centuries, Potenza is the highest regional capital in Italy at 819 metres above sea level. Elegant and welcoming, the city revolves around its thousand-year-old historic centre, made up of old and new buildings that climb up on the hill, ancient gateways and medieval towers, historic stone staircases and modern escalators, stately palaces and authentic little squares, narrow alleys and cobbled streets.

Gastronomy

Basilicata’s traditional cuisine features a broad variety of specialities: From strascinati, homemade pasta served with tomato sauce or in other delicious and unmissable recipes, to flavourful cheeses, produced by traditional methods, such as Pecorino cheese of Filiano (PDO), Canestrato of Moliterno (PGI), ricotta, scamorza and caciocavallo (gourd-shaped cheese), and to pork sausage, such as the “lucanega” variety, already known in ancient Rome. Matera bread (PGI). Other delicious specialties include: black, oven-dried olives from Ferrandina area.

Beverages

In Basilicata, when you sit down to eat, you combine the flavour of unique specialties, seasoned with a drizzle of “Vulture” DOP Extra Virgin Olive Oil, with a delicious, full-bodied, intense and smooth wine. In fact, one of the best wines in southern Italy comes from the hills of Vulture: Aglianco del Vulture DOC.
The origins of this fine wine, which today is counted among the best in Italy and Europe, date back to the times of Magna Graecia. The vineyards are located on the slopes of Monte Vulture, an extinct volcano that gives the wine its unique and distinctive character.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,776
    Any of the GC teams going to attack ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,207
    I've a feeling the start might be a bit different from today.
  • That's a brute of a stage.
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,066
    edited May 2022
    There are only two stages with more elevation gain than today (4730m) (Blockhaus (5080m) and Mortirolo (5268m))
  • kingstongraham
    It's an interesting call to make monte sirino the cat 1 climb - they could easily have swapped that around with the Montagna Grande di Viggiano. Including the previous climb to the sprint and descent in the middle, that is 13.5km at 7.4% with the last 6km at 9.6% which is undoubtedly a tougher climb.

I guess they want to try and encourage the KOM contenders to go for it earlier?
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    That's quite a long section of 15% on Viggianio, is that 1 km? That's going to hurt a lot. Will the sprinters go up the road early in order to get over the first climb ahead of the bunch?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    edited May 2022
    Morkov not starting? Disaster for Cav if true.

Seemingly confirmed. Developed a fever overnight.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,431
    Never heard of that Aglianco Vino - will give it a try
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,096
    DeadCalm said:

Morkov not starting? Disaster for Cav if true.

Confirmed by the team.

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,096
    I'm not sure it is a disaster, as Van Lerberghe is seen as Morkov's eventual replacement so he now has the opportunity to show what he can do.

Big shoes to fill, mind.
  • kingstongraham
    Not sure why MVDP is getting interested today - surely tomorrow is an ideal stage for him.
  • mididoctors
    TdG doing his thing 6 secs ..numerous attempts to join him
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Bike change for the pink jersey... Still looks pretty fast in the bunch.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,552

Not sure why MVDP is getting interested today - surely tomorrow is an ideal stage for him.

Gets bored easily.
  • kingstongraham

Gets bored easily.
    I guess if he could get to the finish in a breakaway, you'd pick him to win with that last 350m. But I can't see him making it over the big hill.
  • TheBigBean

Gets bored easily.
    I guess if he could get to the finish in a breakaway, you'd pick him to win with that last 350m. But I can't see him making it over the big hill.
    I picked him in PTP, but I'm not sure why.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Gets bored easily.
    I picked him in PTP, but I'm not sure why.
    He is bookie's favourite on Oddschecker:

But it is wide open to be fair.
  • mididoctors
    MvdP is not going to win this stage or finish in the top 3
  • TheBigBean
    Carapaz and MVDP are trying to bridge across to a largish group on the descent. Punchy move.
  • TheBigBean
    Carapaz won't be popular with the other riders.
  • mididoctors
    They won't ride with carapaz
  • TheBigBean

Of course not. Nor is going to go solo with 136km to go. He's crushed some dreams though.
  • mididoctors
    Group caught ...formolo slips off
  • mididoctors

Of course not. Nor is going to go solo with 136km to go. He's crushed some dreams though.
    Yeah .that's cycling I guess
  • TheBigBean

No need to annoy people for no reason though.
  • kingstongraham
    Be a kick in the teeth to some of them when they get to the "climb starts here" sign.
  • mididoctors
    The giro tracker is garbage
  • kingstongraham
    Half the race already dropped from the peloton.
  • mididoctors

Half the race already dropped from the peloton.

No info on the gaps .
  • mididoctors

No need to annoy people for no reason though.
    It was a poor tactic . Never going to work ..