Oltre or Aria ?

broachboy
broachboy Posts: 429
edited May 2022 in Road buying advice
So as a frameset only option, is the extra cost for the Oltre worth it ?

I can't find any type of comparison reviews between the 2
Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Depends what you want, they’re different frames designed for different things.
  • broachboy
    broachboy Posts: 429
    Yeah I thought the same thing, but after contacting Bianchi they said that they're both race framesets :neutral:

Not sure what to say really?

I guess it would be used for pleasure riding, training, local road race scene & sportives.

I kinda feel that the Aria 'looks' like an Oltre thats been on a diet :D

Is the over engineered Oltre worth it ?
    Regards

Andy B

Colnago Active 2004

Guerciotti Alero 2008

Cinelli Vigorelli Road 2018

Colnago C60 PLWH 2018
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You will be fine on either. The extra price of the Oltre will not result in an increase in your performance - so on that basis, buy the cheaper one.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    or the one that you like the look of best.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    I've always liked the look of the Aria.. much cleaner lines than the Oltre. Saw one in a bike shop in Italy in black with celeste flashes and it looked absolutely stunning.

As the "midranger" I am sure not technically as good a frame as the Oltre (doesn't have countervail etc.) but I'd put up with that for the looks alone.
  • MattFalle
    Will he notice the difference?

If he goes for the cheaper bike if he like the looks more he could sell the wheels unused then use that wedge, together with the balance saved, to buy some new bangin' hoops and ped-als and 'bars and stuff.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,624

You will be fine on either. The extra price of the Oltre will not result in an increase in your performance - so on that basis, buy the cheaper one.

If that's the test we all applied to equipment purchasing, the bike industry would be well and truly fecked.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    Don't know where you ride but I found an Aria I hired in Italy to have a very firm/uncomfortable ride. Not sure I'd fancy one on UK roads.
  • imposter2.0
    mrb123 said:

Don't know where you ride but I found an Aria I hired in Italy to have a very firm/uncomfortable ride. Not sure I'd fancy one on UK roads.

Not sure what tyre pressures you were running, but I ride one on uk roads, and it’s fine.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

mrb123 said:

Not sure what tyre pressures you were running, but I ride one on uk roads, and it’s fine.
    Well I never realised you and muncher were so like minded. However I suspect yours might be the right size. :)
  • imposter2.0
    webboo said:

mrb123 said:

Well I never realised you and muncher were so like minded. However I suspect yours might be the right size. :)
    Haha - mine is a hand me down - my son's old race bike. I think Muncher actually rides an Oltre (the expensive one with full EPS) - and yeah, I don't have half a mile of seatpost showing.. ;)
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

webboo said:

mrb123 said:

Haha - mine is a hand me down - my son's old race bike. I think Muncher actually rides an Oltre (the expensive one with full EPS) - and yeah, I don't have half a mile of seatpost showing.. ;)

Do you carry a backpack?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MattFalle
    Ben6899 said:

webboo said:

mrb123 said:

Do you carry a backpack?
    40kgs luggage inc a suit?
  • imposter2.0
    Ben6899 said:

webboo said:

mrb123 said:

Do you carry a backpack?
    Backpacks are for wimps. I usually just tow a shipping container behind me...