Giro 2022 - Stage 6: Palmi – Scalea 192 km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited May 2022 in Pro race
Stage 6: Palmi – Scalea 192 km
Thursday, May 12th, 11:35 BST

The route is undemanding, and winds its way on a wide roadway along the ss. 18 trunk road, with just a few tunnels along the course. The long yet mild climb leading from Mileto to the Razza airport in Vibo Valentia (GPM4, 3.8 km at 4.2%) is the only impediment along the route.

The stage running almost entirely along the coast. After starting in Palmi, the riders will head north throughout the day. The coast itself is not entirely flat, but there are no serious climbs.

Final kms.
The route enters urban Scalea for the stage finale, which is raced on wide, straight and well-paved roads, with one last roundabout at the ‑3 km mark. The home straight is on tarmac road.

What to Expect.
There seems little chance on anything other than a bunch sprint, here, so expect a low quality break to form from the flag drop, with the peloton happy to sit up. Then it will be Thomas de Gendt and Pieter Serry holding the leash.

Favourites 5th stage 2022 Giro d’Italia

***** Caleb Ewan, Mark Cavendish
**** Arnaud Démare, Fernando Gaviria
*** Biniam Girmay, Phil Bauhaus, Matthew van der Poel
** Giacomo Nizzolo, Cees Bol, Alberto Dainese
* Edward Theuns, Simone Consonni, Davide Cimolai, Magnus Cort, Andrea Vendrame

Palmi

The city of Palmi is set on a hill on the southern Tyrrhenian coast of Calabria . The many panoramic points allow you to enjoy the view of the Strait of Messina, the Aeolian Islands and Capo Vaticano.

Protected on one side by Mount S. Elia, which is the most protruding spur towards the sea of the Aspromonte chain, founded at the end of the 14th century, Palmi was the birthplace of many illustrious men. We also find cliffs overlooking the sea through which the “Tracciolino”, one of the most evocative nature trails in the Mediterranean, winds its way.

Scalea

Scalea is one of the oldest cities in Calabria. Scalea is located on a stepped hill dominated by the ruins of the Norman Castle and is characterized by its narrow and winding alleys. On the coast, there is the Ajnella cliff, full of caves and small bays, while the beach extends for kilometers to the south and it is interrupted only by the imposing reef on which it rises Talao Tower.
Scalea today is a renowned tourist center developed on the edge of the long beach that attracts thousands of tourists from all over the world every summer. Located in the north-western part of Calabria, Scalea is situated in the heart of Riviera dei Cedri. A flap of land that extends for about thirty kilometers along the Tyrrhenian Seaside through the Pollino National Park, that represent the west gate of the largest National Park in Europe. The territory includes beautiful littoral towns such as Praia a Mare, San Nicola Arcella, Scalea, Santa Maria del Cedro, Diamante and Tortora, but also characteristic hill and mountain villages including Orsomarso, Santa Domenica Talao, Verbicaro, Buonvicino, Aieta, and Papasidero.

Gastronomy

The gastronomic tradition of Scalea is based on modest recipes and dishes, handed down from generation to generation; however, they are often revisited in a modern way. The main element of the Scaleota cuisine is the blue fish: from marinated anchovies to stuffed ones, up to rosamarina. “Spaghetti alla scaleota” flavored with anchovies, tomato sauce and crispy stale bread passed in red pepper and enriched with hot pepper is a must in the menus of restaurants and trattorias.

On the scaleoti’s table cannot miss the wine made in Verbicaro and the one made in Buonvicino, and, as digestives, the classic cedar and the limoncello liqueurs.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    On the basis that I've got everything wrong so far, I'm going to call this one a snoozefest and hope I'm still rubbish at prediction.

Worth noting that Cav and Ewan, after being in some difficulty on the climb on stage 5, eventually rolled in about 10mins down.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    What wind there is (gusting up to 14 knots but generally more like 4 or 5) is likely to be cross-head in the first half and headwind in the second half. Going to be dull barring some miracle.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 707

The location of this photo is not stated by Blazing. It shows Orsomarso, one of the hill villages which Blazing mentions in his text about Scalea. The village is about 10 km inland from Scalea, when heading towards the Pollino National Park (which Blazing also mentions). So it is not along tomorrow's stage route,

I have stayed at Scalea, and the area inland of Scalea, like Orsomarso and beyond, and also the area NW of Scalea, the Cilento National Park, are two of my favourites areas in Italy. Some very good cycling is possible in both areas, akin to Majorca in geography, but quieter (although Cilento may not suit everyone, much of its landscape, especially near the coast, being karst-like).
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    Got to love live interviews :D
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Another day for the great Bais/Tagliani duo?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Long roll out
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    No one attacks
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    Could be a long day.
  • JimD666

Long roll out

Could be about 190km long....

Zero interest in a breakaway at the moment
  • mididoctors
    Waiting for the hill ?
  • mididoctors
    Lol
  • mididoctors
    Mollema mucking about
  • mididoctors
    Stars and water carriers vibes
  • mididoctors
    They should all stop and raid a bar
  • kingstongraham
    5 minutes behind the slowest schedule so far.
  • JimD666
    Wander of for lunch and missed all the action!

The breakaway has formed. Diego Rosa (EOLO) has gone up the road on his own. Currently has about 4 minutes.

That's going to be a very lonely ride
  • mididoctors
    Only 140k to go
  • mididoctors
    JimD666 said:

The breakaway has formed. Diego Rosa (EOLO) has gone up the road on his own. Currently has about 4 minutes.

Did they draw a straw or pass round a hat for donations ..... They a wildcard team getting a phone call from the race organisation?
  • JimD666

JimD666 said:

Did they draw a straw or pass round a hat for donations ..... They a wildcard team getting a phone call from the race organisation?
    Rock Paper Scissors between EOLO and Drone Hopper I think.
  • kingstongraham
    Leader about 15 minutes down on slowest schedule now.
  • mididoctors
    Woo hoo only 93k
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2022
    Cross head wind wasn't helpful either as an incentive
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312

Bit of a shame they only manage to put riders in breaks on days where they are pretty much guaranteed to get caught. I was expecting Drone Hopper to seed the breakaway on Etna as well, since they have Cepeda who came third or fourth on Etna in the Tour of Sicily and he had already lost time and probably too much even for the young riders classification. Figured a win on Etna would be worth more. Best laid plans and all that. Yes, I'm salty about it.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • kingstongraham
    m.r.m. said:

Bit of a shame they only manage to put riders in breaks on days where they are pretty much guaranteed to get caught. I was expecting Drone Hopper to seed the breakaway on Etna as well, since they have Cepeda who came third or fourth on Etna in the Tour of Sicily and he had already lost time and probably too much even for the young riders classification. Figured a win on Etna would be worth more. Best laid plans and all that. Yes, I'm salty about it.
    Tagliani got a little moment in the sun today.

Today it was most definitely that they didn't manage to put riders in the break - they could have sent the whole team up the road if they wanted.
  • kingstongraham
    Wish I could roll along like that at 36.3 km/h.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834

The Diesel Dan juggernaut says hi. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kingstongraham
    Poor bugger's been out there on his own for over three hours.

Currently half an hour down on the slowest schedule.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

You probably could in a bunch that size with no hills (maybe not for the full distance though).
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

Poor censored 's been out there on his own for over three hours.

Currently half an hour down on the slowest schedule.

Poor sod's spent the day on a chasse patate without any actual patate. Painful.
  • mididoctors

On that road you could sit in . Might find it stressful ..