Giro 2022 - Stage 5: Catania – Messina 174 km ***Spoilers***

13»

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Demare
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    MVDP sat up for some reason.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645

Too hectic
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,208
    Hard earned win by FDJ then, chased on then went to the front to kill Cav's chance of getting back
  • mididoctors
    Electric gear issue for gavira?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Hard earned win by FDJ then, chased on then went to the front to kill Cav's chance of getting back

Yeah they deserved it as much as any other team who made the race today
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508

Too hectic
    McEwen thinks he lost some spokes or similar.

• mididoctors

Too hectic
    McEwen thinks he lost some spokes or similar.

Bl00dy hell
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

Finishing well early

Yup, popped in for an idea of how far it was to go and saw the result... 😭

Biniam needs to sharpen them elbows...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,124

Electric gear issue for gavira?

Looked like his bike started jumping around as he crossed the line too. Lucky he got control of it before it hit demare properly.
  • ddraver
    I don't think it was the bike doing that...

(possible whoosh..?)
    - @ddraver
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,899
    So after I was fairly sure that the hill in the middle wouldn't do much.....Cav and Ewan roll in 12 minutes after Demare crossed.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,198
    The day Girmay gets out of the box is going to be special. He looks like he's got some serious power to put down at the moment
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    For the first time English language Cycling Content has the best sprinter of the previous generation. Why are they not using him during the live coverage? I like the Blythe McEwan Sky Sports post-match analysis, but it's not the best use of his skillz.

Millar calling a sprint live is one of the best things in Sport to watch. Why are ES doing this to themselves?!
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Client literally called at 800m to go ffs.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422

surely you were "at the loo" and called client back after the finish?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218

There are times when things are time critical and times when they are not.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873

Nah, the only time something is truely critical is if they are about to die or something is about to explode.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Well, that worked out well for Alpecin...
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • kingstongraham
    ddraver said:

(possible whoosh..?)

Indeed. The twat almost took out the winner.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,899
    I do love the BBC's reporting of sports it really has no clue about...

"Britain's Mark Cavendish, looking to win his second stage of this year's Giro, was heavily fancied but fell away with several kilometres to go."
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    ddraver said:

For the first time English language Cycling Content has the best sprinter of the previous generation. Why are they not using him during the live coverage? I like the Blythe McEwan Sky Sports post-match analysis, but it's not the best use of his skillz.

Millar calling a sprint live is one of the best things in Sport to watch. Why are ES doing this to themselves?!

McEwan was commentating earlier on, along with Blythe - they switched over to Hatch and Kelly so that Blythe could go get ready for the breakaway. Not sure if McEwan was on that too.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586

ddraver said:

(possible whoosh..?)

Indeed. The censored almost took out the winner.
    I didn't think the finish was that close. 🤔
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver

ddraver said:

McEwan was commentating earlier on, along with Blythe - they switched over to Hatch and Kelly so that Blythe could go get ready for the breakaway. Not sure if McEwan was on that too.
    well exactly!
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439

The poo you "needed" is a prime example of time critical.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited May 2022
    JimD666 said:

I do love the BBC's reporting of sports it really has no clue about...

"Britain's Mark Cavendish, looking to win his second stage of this year's Giro, was heavily fancied but fell away with several kilometres to go."

Indeed.
    Their headline is even worse: "Cavendish Caught as Demare wins Giro Stage 5."

Their whole sports news section is an agenda driven joke.

We all know that Wimbledon is the one and only sports event that they will never relinquish.
    So, despite headlines everywhere regarding the crisis the All England is facing the ATP stripping all ranking points from the Grand Slam, turning it into a glorified exhibition event, there not one word on the BBC website.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    ddraver said:

ddraver said:

well exactly!
    I guess the trade off is whether you want those two on the Breakaway doing the analysis or commentating on the finale...
  • kingstongraham
    pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

(possible whoosh..?)

Indeed. The censored almost took out the winner.
    I didn't think the finish was that close. 🤔
    He only got close a few metres after the line.