Tubeless or not?

navrig2
navrig2 Posts: 1,844
I have just taken delivery of a new gravel bike. It was built to order and I specified that the tubeless ready wheels should have tubes installed.

Is there any way of confirming that the wheels are tubed just by inspection?

I don't want to unseat the tyres unnecessarily.

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Just ask the shop. That wpuld be my first stop.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • navrig2
    The shop will say they provided what I ordered. However that would also have been the case with the MTB I bought a few years ago and which was provided tubeless when I ordered tubed.

I found out a few miles from home when I had a puncture which did not self seal. (I had a nasty off & injury which resulted in the MTB sitting unused for over 6 months by which time the sealant/gunk had set in the bottom of the tyre.)
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Would the type of valve tell you whether it’s taped or not.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Tubeless will have threaded valve stem and lock nut tightened down. Tubed may not have these.
  • It depends, I would ask a local bike shop
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Post a picture and it might be clear one way or the other.
  • navrig2
    oxoman said:

Try letting a bit of pressure out of the tyre and remove locking ring on valve, if it pushes in and feels spongy then it's a tube. If it feels like it's stuck then it's probably tubeless.

Good thinking Oxoman, cheers.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    what did the shop say when you called them?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Stick a pin in it. When you pull it out if it’s followed by sealant it’s probably tubeless.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Leave a wheel with the valve at the bottom for a hour so that any sealant pools at the bottom. Take the valve core out and poke a piece of stiff wire or something similar down the valve stem . If you can see any sealant on the end of the wire you are tubeless.
  • navrig2
    edited March 2022
    MattFalle said:

what did the shop say when you called them?

I didn't call them given the logic in my post above.

However I did try @oxoman's suggestion and I am confident that tubes are installed.
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 416
    Spin the wheel ,remove the core it will be wet with sealant .
    I would say if it was tubeless there would be core removers supplied with it too