UCI MTB (XC, DH, Enduro, Marathon) season 2022

andyrac
andyrac Posts: 1,123
edited March 2022 in Pro race
With the season now in full swing, time for a new thread.

Sadly it looks likely to be the final year of free World Cup coverage on Red Bull TV, who've done so much for the sport.

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/uci-mtb-world-cup-calendar

The DH World Cup starts this weekend in Lourdes, France; we've had a few DH races in France, and Portugal.

The XC World Cup starts in a few weeks in Petropolis, Brasil. We've seen a few XC races in Spain, Italy, France, and the usual names look in good form.

Also, currently the Cape Epic MTB race is taking place ( the TdF of MTB-ing), and live on You Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpr8fMJTBl3WLYIogQzGiOQ

Enduro World Series calendar:

https://www.enduroworldseries.com/races/1/2022/

All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I've tried this before. If Tom ain't riding they ain't caring...

Good effort tho 👍
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    andyrac said:

With the season now in full swing, time for a new thread.

Sadly it looks likely to be the final year of free World Cup coverage on Red Bull TV, who've done so much for the sport.

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/uci-mtb-world-cup-calendar

The DH World Cup starts this weekend in Lourdes, France; we've had a few DH races in France, and Portugal.

The XC World Cup starts in a few weeks in Petropolis, Brasil. We've seen a few XC races in Spain, Italy, France, and the usual names look in good form.

Also, currently the Cape Epic MTB race is taking place ( the TdF of MTB-ing), and live on You Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpr8fMJTBl3WLYIogQzGiOQ

Enduro World Series calendar:

https://www.enduroworldseries.com/races/1/2022/

Thanks a lot for the reminder. I'll be in France by Sunday so hope I'll be able to watch the Lourdes DH. I just love the DH.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • ddraver
    PFP & Sabine take the first (?) stage of the Cape Epic
    - @ddraver
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    edited March 2022
    How Ad served is the coverage on Red Bull TV? Ads every few minutes or none until after the race has completed?

Edited due to total inability to spell
  • ddraver
    edited March 2022
    None at all

(...or, the whole thing is one giant ad for Red Bull)
    - @ddraver
  • JimD666
    Ta :) It's people peddling. As long as no Ad's I'll watch it :)

Though I can't abide BMX for some reason :/
  • andyrac
    As already said, the only 'adverts' are for other RB content , and the race coverage continues so you don't miss anything.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andyrac
    ddraver said:

Good effort tho 👍

Sadly you're correct. Neither him nor MvdP have announced plans for any MTB so far, so who knows when they'll return.

Maybe the move to Discovery/Eurosport will be a good thing; as it will be in the same place as road cycling coverage.

I was rather surprised how so few people, including cycling journalists didn't know what a 'dropper post' was after Sanremo.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    andyrac said:

ddraver said:

Good effort tho 👍

Sadly you're correct. Neither him nor MvdP have announced plans for any MTB so far, so who knows when they'll return.

Maybe the move to Discovery/Eurosport will be a good thing; as it will be in the same place as road cycling coverage.

I was rather surprised how so few people, including cycling journalists didn't know what a 'dropper post' was after Sanremo.
    I didn't know what one was, but having spent time mountain biking, I can appreciate why it is a useful invention.
  • ddraver
    Like the discussion in the rugby thread right now, I think it's fair to say that not many cyclo-pundits have ridden a bike in the last 20 years...
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epyfGRm-WTE&ab_channel=RedBullBike

Highlights of the first World Cup DH, in Lourdes, France.
  • ddraver
    G'wan Tahnee!!
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-course-preview-for-the-first-round-of-the-xc-world-cup-in-brazil.html

Course preview.

There were a few races over the weekend; Neff won by over 6 mins, and U23 World Champion, Martin Vidaurre Kossmann won the Men's Elite race.
    However a few big hitters were missing. They'll be there on Friday - minus MvdP, Pidcock, Koreztky & Vader......

Looks like Evie has still got an issue with her back - maybe needs a word with MvdP.
  • JimD666
    Watched the DH and enjoyed but looking forward more to the XC stuff. Prefer races rather than TT's :)
  • andyrac
    edited April 2022
    First Short Track (XCC) tonight from Petropolis, Brazil;

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/events/uci-mountain-bike-world-cup-petropolis
  • andyrac
    Riders dropping like flies; whether Covid or other illnesses....now Evie is out with a stomach issue.
  • ddraver
    PFP out too...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited April 2022
    Brazil's got some crackin' photographers...

- @ddraver
  • andyrac
    Nino wins, to equal Absalon's World Cup record of 33 wins - and no comments.....
  • ddraver
    Poor Julian, he's lost PFP and his record. Bad few months... 😋
    - @ddraver
  • JimD666
    Finally finished catching up with the DH and the XC. Never really watched much of it before but have to say I rather enjoyed. Looking forward to the rest of the season 👍
  • andyrac
    The next race is this weekend in Albstadt, Germany; a climber friendly course. Entry lists are out.

In the men's Elite, Koreztky, Gaze and Pidcock are all entered. And CX racers Iserbyt & Soete are as well. Blanka Vas is entered in the women's Elite.

I actually think the women's U23 could be a fabulous race; 5 of the top 10 from the CX U23 Worlds are entered; Pieterse, Van Empel, Burquier, Munro & Harnden.
  • JimD666
    Fingers crossed I may get to catch up with the MTB on Monday evening.
    Weekend days wiped out by the Giro, the nights by Dunkirk and Monday daytime by the Challenge Cup. Only a couple of days behind will be a minor miracle :)
  • andyrac
    The Short Track (XCC) is on Friday afternoon/ evening about 4 o'clock.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,599
    This thread about to get busier thanks to a certain T Pidcock
  • andyrac
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    I guess spoilers aren't allowed in this thread?
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Tom Pidcock wins not a bad for the Brits in the cycling world.
  • ddraver
    Where has Bec McConnel come from...?
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    Where - Australia.... ;)

However, she's been a 'nearly woman' getting 2nd/3rd places but never quite cracking the win. She was also 2nd in the last two XCO races of last year. I think changed coaches over the winter, and her training.....maybe that was all she needed.

After winning the sprint v PF-P in the XCC on Friday, Pauline was heard to ask "Where did you get those legs from?" I think she expected to outsprint her, as most probably did.

Mona needs to work on her starts, they're awful; she's giving 30 secs away at the start. You can get away with it at U23, but not Elite.