Recommended couriers?

Can anyone recommend someone to transport a frame from Southampton to Wirral?

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Royal Mail/Parcel Force

Wrap it up, put it in a box, take it to the post office.

job jobbed
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    I have found Evri (formerly Hermes) to be better value for large but not very heavy items (i.e. most things you would sell bike related).

Parcel force will charge your frame as a large parcel, even though I suspect it will be less than 3kg boxed - Evri have much larger maximum size so you may be able to get away with a medium. Can save up to £15 on some things. Never had any issues with them, used many many times.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I've had very good results going through Parcel Hero, both times has ended up being parcel force, but marginally cheaper than going direct.

They used to be on tcb, but sadly no more it would seem.

Just used them to send a non bike related parcel over to Italy, again via Parcel force.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • davecara
    davecara Posts: 104
    MattFalle said:

Royal Mail/Parcel Force

Wrap it up, put it in a box, take it to the post office.

job jobbed

I've had a non cycling friend collect it for me from the seller (in Southhampton) and need it sending up to me.
    I'm sending an empty bike box down to him along with bubble wrap/tape etc
  • davecara
    Found a decent deal with Paisley Freight, £55 and they deliver a load of packaging and then bring it to me door. Loads more money than ParcelForce but they take the strain and i dont have to get off my backside :)
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121

I have found Evri (formerly Hermes) to be better value for large but not very heavy items (i.e. most things you would sell bike related)..

+1
    I used Hermes for sending/collecting my frame for repair and it was OK, although it took longer than expected to get back to me for reasons known only to Hermes - but I've had the same problem with Parcelforce/DPD/DHL.

• manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208

I have found Evri (formerly Hermes) to be better value for large but not very heavy items (i.e. most things you would sell bike related).

People in the logistics trade (me) don't use Evri (formerly Herpes). You should see how they handle parcels, I have and it ain't a pretty sight.
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 409
    Another for paisley freight here
    Sent a few and had no issues at all
  • Paisely Freight - DPD local effectively but great service every time I've used them
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    edited May 2022
    I shipped a frame using parcelforce.
    Covered it in foam and made sure it couldn't move within the box.

Cost about £15/18 for next day delivery and I dropped it off at my local post office.
    Pretty sure there is a load of 15% off codes for parcelforce too
  • davecara
    All sorted now, Paisely kept me informed when they were dropping packaging off and when it was coming to my door. Service was spot on.
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    I just sold my bike and buyer arranged collection with shipley for a Levo for £46 from Wakefield to Oxford. I thought was really good.
    So Far!
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 440
    edited May 2022
    Parcelforce were v efficient for me when sold a bike for future reference for anyone else selling. I used some Ikea cardboard, the stuff that is rolled and incredibly strong to pack out the box.