Computer Nerds - Help!

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,348
Hi all,

I got a second hand Surface Go tablet from CEX but it has arrived with a City of London Police log in that I obviously don't have details for.

I've reset the Computer, no luck and reinstalled windows from a USB drive but still no luck.

Even though it seems to start fresh (enter region etc) The windows software won't let me enter a windows account that isnt a Police account.

Is this fixable by me?* It's a bloomin faff to have to send it back! :angry:

Thanks

(* kinda hope not tbh)
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    edited May 2022
    Heavy caveat. Sounds odd. One possible guess is that windows has linked the machine with the police somehow. You could try installing it and when it asks for wifi, decline to provide it. Then you should be able to install windows with a local account. No idea what happens when you give it internet access again....

• PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    I would send it back, it is obviously nicked and if you have given it internet access, it will show up on the police's systems (including where it is located).

When you connect it to the internet, Microsoft is probably seeing the device's serial number as registered under the City of London's Office365 account and so auto sets it up again.
  • ddraver
    Hmmm, ok

retrying a USB install having deleted the partitions this time (which is a level way above where I start to get scared!). No internet too - looks better!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Yep! That's got it...

Sorry PoPo
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    ddraver said:

Yep! That's got it...

Sorry PoPo

Translation?
  • ddraver
    It worked, I think it was deleting all the old partitions that did it rather than your internet tip but thanks.

Something to remember if you're ever reinstalling windows totally fresh (which, you know I do ALL the time...)
    - @ddraver