my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Early walk and finish packing for work stuff few days
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Hazy sunny slightly nippy.
    Today I will be mowstly planting Cornflower 'Amethyst' and creocoating* and weeding.

*Creoseal or Creocoat are the options since the EU banned the sale of Creosote.
    Did they work out the lifespan of wood that was Creosoted vs the lifespan of the wood with the modern gubbins 'cos I am positive that the latter much is less and you end up using more of it.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Early start, easy journey, now avec coffee and waiting for friends to show up at Eurotunnel.

Operation Brock on M20 between J8-9, lots of miles, had precisely zero HGVs waiting.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    Morning. Repeat of last two days. WFW. Really fing busy this week. And next.
    Commute by bike again. It's really fing cold for end of April. Was 4degrees when I left this morning. Back in winter gear.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    'ning

Less cold up here today.
    Going to try running again at lunchtime.
    Gym later.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    tlw1 said:

work stuff few days

Hopefully not eating into the weekend...

Up early, manged to sneak past snoozing hounds without setting them off. Busy morning on the old corporate hamster wheel, fortunately the Kingdom of Far Far Away has pretty over a whole week off starting tomorrow so might get a bit more peace for a bit. I'll just chuck a few grenades back over the wall to give them something to think about while they're away o:)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,521
    Last day for now of working from the countryside. Driving back at 5:30, hopefully back in London for 9. Took the doggo out for her before-bed ablutions last night. Absolutely silent at 10 p.m. Eerily silent. Also, it's a dark sky conservation area here, so tripped over a hump in the road.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    Site meeting sorted, lunch was typical service station fayre. Lets hope MrsHD has something better for dinner.

Gym later followed by an early night - riding beckons on Friday morning.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • thistle_

Last day for now of working from the countryside. Driving back at 5:30, hopefully back in London for 9. Took the doggo out for her before-bed ablutions last night. Absolutely silent at 10 p.m. Eerily silent. Also, it's a dark sky conservation area here, so tripped over a hump in the road.

They should put a ton of streetlights up to stop that sort of thing. You could've been killed.
  • beansnikpoh
    thistle_ said:

They should put a ton of streetlights up to stop that sort of thing. You could've been killed.
    I know right...

Also, more sirens, trains, popping turbo chargers, shouting drunks and general traffic noise required.

It was a clear night last night, and the person whose house we are staying in has a telescope. I couldn't work it, but the thought was there.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

you're gonna miss it B3 - the silence is addictive. just being away from people - #sheerjoy

give you 6 months until you decamp down there perms, innit.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    thistle_ said:

go and nail a searchlight to it. or an air raid siren.
  • beansnikpoh
    MattFalle said:

you're gonna miss it B3 - the silence is addictive. just being away from people - #sheerjoy

Mini will be at school in Wimbledon for another 7 years after this one. I also have to be be in the office at least 2 days per week at the moment, which I think will increase to at least 3.

Mrs B3 will be down here quite a bit I think, but it's a foot in both worlds for my foreseeable future. I'm going to get an OS map and a compass and plan some moorland hiking loops. Also MTB.
  • MattFalle
    6 months. good schools down there as well......

compass? nah - you want gps my friend no one uses compasses any more.....
  • Stevo_666
    Just found out from someone doing a spot of reading the financial press that our gloriously communicative parent company has splashed out about half a billion quid on buying a competitor and they didn't think to tell us. And now they've all naffed off on a week long public holiday so we're none the wiser. Wunderbar.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    MattFalle said:

You don't have to go that far to get a bit of peace.
  • MattFalle
    yeah, but its nice innit.
  • Stevo_666
    MattFalle said:

yeah, but its nice innit.

True, but there a balance between living somewhere ar enough out to be peaceful but not being so far out that the locals have webbed fingers.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    edited April 2022
    MattFalle said:

lost count of the times someone with a gps (with mapping) has asked me which way to go - it tells them where they are, but they're still effectively lost - even happens in the middle of london, can't read a street sign let alone terrain

not that long ago evolution would've edited out their genes, now they'll live to spawn

for benign places like uk, much prefer compass+map, and leave the electronics at home, more fun

off for squiffy evening with old eurochum, chin chin

compasses are lovely

• sungod
    edited April 2022
  • MattFalle
    sungod said:

MattFalle said:

lost count of the times someone with a gps (with mapping) has asked me which way to go - it tells them where they are, but they're still effectively lost - even happens in the middle of london, can't read a street sign let alone terrain

not that long ago evolution would've edited out their genes, now they'll live to spawn

for benign places like uk, much prefer compass+map, and leave the electronics at home, more fun

compasses are lovely

looking back, agree - take both. good fun to work out where you are then double check - sense of smugness.

still useful just to look at your wrist when its cold, dark, raining and you are totally, utterly shattered....
  • sungod
    MattFalle said:

sungod said:

MattFalle said:

compasses are lovely

looking back, agree - take both. good fun to work out where you are then double check - sense of smugness.

still useful just to look at your wrist when its cold, dark, raining and you are totally, utterly shattered....
    yeah, i'm strictly talking benign environments :smiley:
  • thistle_
    sungod said:

MattFalle said:

Had that yesterday with a colleague. The place was right in front of us :smiley:

GPS + phone map is great for knowing where you are, but (On my phone at least) a bit rubbish for working out direction as the built in compass is iffy and GPS only knows which way you're heading when you start heading somewhere (like, the wrong direction).
    And, the non electronic compass works when your phone suddenly goes flat because the windchill is -10 degrees. It's never happened to me on a foggy mountain, honest :lol:
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    OS maps on phones are hopeless. You can’t get a sense of where you are even though you can pinpoint your exact location. You need to see a bigger area so you zoom out but it gets so small you can’t see naff all. Give me an OS Explorer and a Silva compass any day. I can spend hours sat in a tent, in the rain with a cuppa tea looking at my maps.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• beansnikpoh
    3 hrs 20, Mrs B³ insisted on stopping for a disgusting McDo's and a p1ss. Bloody other people in the car, ruining my keep on trucking preference. She also took us on some sat nav inspired 2 minute saving trip down some tiny lanes to avoid Taunton. Stupid bloody sat nav.

Eeeh, I did the pennine way from Tan Hill to the Cheviots when I were a lad with t'map and compass and tent on back. Plus lots of snowdonia. Not done it for years save a few day hikes in the peaks. Therefore never even considered a GPS.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    I have never used a sat nav. Ever.
    There is one in the Porker and I haven't activated* it.

*Some sort of Porsche registration or summat, I don't know how that works.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!