Fork Service & Increase Travel.

reaperactual
reaperactual Posts: 1,185
edited April 2022 in MTB workshop & tech
This is my Revelation fork:-

This will be my first time doing a (long overdue) service so a bit nervous and not quite sure what I need.

I guess Sram Butter, fork oil and a seal kit but not sure which weight oil or kit to order. I've downloaded the Sram Service PDF and it says 10 and 10 of the 0w-30 oil for the lowers and 5wt for the uppers, this is a bit confusing. Do I need to do the uppers? Do I need the full service kit (seals) if I'm replacing the air spring?

I'm going to purchase my first full sus frame & shock with a plan to swap everything from my hardtail over. The new frame requires 140mm rather than the current 130mm of travel.

Is this the correct air spring for my forks?

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.RockShox-Air-Spring-Upgrade-Kit-Debonair-C1-includes-Debonair-C1-Assembly-Seal-Head-Pike-B1-Revelation-A1-2018-_229811.htm

Any guidance, advice to confirm parts, kits, oil, etc. is appreciated as always.

Thanks!

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    The 5wt oil is required for the damper.The 0w-30 is for lubricating air seals plus soaking the foam rings.

The first thing your going to do is accidentally lose some or most of your damper oil so get both oils.

The 5wt for the motion control is something like 155ml (please check) It’s nice to have a measuring cylinder to measure it out and back in for piece of mind. Using a rule to fill seems a little crude. Ps. Don’t be like me and use a brake bleed syringe !

I’ve change the oil and cleaned the seals several times but never replaced them but it’s always easy to damage one so having spares is advised. If replacing the air spring then it would be wise to have spare dust seals as a minimum.

Make sure you have internal circlip pliers and not external :D
  • reaperactual
    edited April 2022
    Cheers Mully. So I'll get both oils and a full seal kit.

Yes you're right, I checked and it says 155ml (or 100-106mm height) of the 5wt oil needed.

Depending on the state of the current seals I'll clean up and re-use if they're in good nick.

Do you reckon the replacement air spring is the correct one?

Seems vague just going off the the description saying for 'Revelation A1+2018+' as in is there any sort of serial number or specific code I could check out somewhere to ensure parts are compatible?

Yes, looked them up and getting some circlip pliers with 3 or 4 various interchangeable fittings. I heard it's a vital tool to do it properly!

Thanks! 👍

• mully79
    Ive no idea on the air spring. I assume its just a 10mm longer shaft than the one you have.

This may be of interest if you are considering an alternative oil. The differences between same grades from different manufacturers can be quite big (as can be the price)
  • reaperactual
    edited April 2022
    No worries, I'll look into the air shaft and try to get more info.

Just thought I'd also inquire as it's on my mind. Maybe I could go for a 150mm travel but would that be a good idea? Really don't know the effects this has on a full sus (135mm rear travel) frame compared to a hardtail, the same, a big no or doesn't really matter too much?

Thanks for the PDF, always interested to save a few quid and find alternatives. I've been happily using Putoline fluid in my brakes for a while now and is a fraction of the cost of the red stuff.

I think as this is the first time dealing with forks I'll go with the recomended unless you have and/or use something else specifically that's suitable in mind?

Thanks again Buddy.

• mully79
    I used Castrol 10wt fork oil in my Sektors as I wanted more compression damping. (I have no compression damping control) if your happy with what you've been using, stick to the original stuff.

Travel wise, My sektors have an "all travel spacer" between the piston and the top out bumper. im not sure if you can buy the 150 shaft and add a travel spacer to bring it back to 140mm.
    Check out the 2013 sektor service manual to see what i mean.
    Perhaps worth asking someone who actually might know before you buy the 140mm version.
  • mully79
    If it was me, i'd probably buy the 150mm shaft and use the old top out bumper to modify the travel to 140mm.
  • reaperactual
    edited April 2022
    mully79 said:

I used Castrol 10wt fork oil in my Sektors as I wanted more compression damping. (I have no compression damping control) if your happy with what you've been using, stick to the original stuff.

Travel wise, My sektors have an "all travel spacer" between the piston and the top out bumper. im not sure if you can buy the 150 shaft and add a travel spacer to bring it back to 140mm.
    Check out the 2013 sektor service manual to see what i mean.
    Perhaps worth asking someone who actually might know before you buy the 140mm version.

Thanks for that. I'll keep it simple and just buy the Rock Shox stuff. It's my first time ever so don't have anything in the garage.

I'll check out your Sektor forks and see about 'travel spacers', tbh never heard of them until now and I don't have a clue what they are...lol!

I guess the travel spacers are different from volume tokens and perform a different function?

Your other idea about using the original top out bumper might be doeable so barring any other input, it's something I can look into.

Thank you for your help Mully. 👊😎
  • mully79
    The travel spacer slides onto the air shaft essentially making the top out bumper longer. This means less extension. ie less travel.

A cynic might think the Revelation came with travel specific air shafts to give the travel adjustable version a USP. SRAM would just argue it was to save weight.
  • reaperactual
    I only had a quick look online and read a B.R. article about travel spacers. Not seen anything mentioned about them on YouTube clips.

I'm lacking enough knowledge to get it. I guess I'll understand the inner workings better when I get inside and see for myself.

I assume this is what I'm going to see and replace:-

I reckon I'll just buy the 140 length shaft version and stick with the frames stated 'optimal travel' set up recomendation and not try and add any more complications. 🤔

• reaperactual
    edited April 2022
    Ordered the 140mm air spring from Tredz.

The Rockshox Trailhead site listed specific serial numbers so pretty confident it's all correct.

Ordered a 200hr service kit on eBay. I rang the the seller at Race Ready Suspension, he said not to worry about the damper if it's working okay and they usually work fine 'for many years'.

I am going to buy an alternative 0-30wt synthetic fork oil for future, after reading up.

I'll probably get some Maxima stuff the guy sells and recommends for the damper for next time too.

For now the kit comes with just enough Sram Butter and genuine oil for this first service.

Cheers again for your help Mully!

• mully79
    No problem and good luck !

Take your time and take some pics to aid your memory rebuilding. B)
  • reaperactual
    Lol 😆 Yep, that's good advice. Thanks! 🤞
  • reaperactual
    edited April 2022
    Update:

Done the service, fitted the air spring, all back together and working with 140mm travel.

A few tricky bits and a messy job as it's the first time. Looks so easy on YouTube but I guess it'll go smoother next time.

Don't know what this air spring was that came out but it sure doesn't look like a Debonair or anything like what I expected to see?

• mully79
    That looks like a normal air spring with a 20mm travel reducing spacer on it.

Anyhow, good job. Lots of new skills learnt and it will be miles easier next time. B)
  • reaperactual
    edited April 2022
    Cheers Pal, yeah always a bit frustrating when feeling unsure. Glad to finally fill that big gap in maintenance knowledge and all set for fitting to the new frame. 😃

I now know what you said about travel spacers, makes perfect sense. Obviously too late now but
    maybe I should've looked into that more, instead of a replacement.

Or I suppose the new spring is a small upgrade in itself?

R.S. rip off, false advertising, weight saving excuses with that 'normal spring' perhaps?
  • mully79
    Just have to chalk all these things off as experience. It’s hard to find the knowledge if you don’t know what you need to know in the first place.

On the plus side you might have had to do the service twice and use double the oil to find out you needed another spring if you hadn’t bought the spare :p
  • reaperactual
    edited April 2022
    Yeah you're right off course. Small mistakes and the extra faffing around won't happen next time.

Dislodged some castle turret shaped washer that was at the bottom of the lowers when I was cleaning out with a towel wrapped dowel. Lucky I had the other side as guide as to where it's normally positioned.

New dust seals and foam rings fitted, all freshly greased, oiled up so good for a while. All in all a worthwhile endeavour for peace of mind.

Hardtail looks good and a bit more 'raked out'/slack, didn't realise a small amount of travel would be that noticable.

Thanks again for all the help
    Mully, much appreciated. 😎 I'll stop bugging you now with all this fork talk! 😆