Drafting / Slipstreaming a Car- Christchurch, Dorset

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
I just want to put this message out in the hope that it gets to the aggressive bl00dy idiot that slipstreamed me this Sunday morning.
Stanpit in Christchurch, Dorset at approximately 9:30am. Three guys on their black carbon bikes whom I overtook safely as I do given I'm a cyclist too.
One decides to be a total prick and sprint after me and slipstreamed me at 25-30mph. He was within one bikes length of me!! If I had to make an emergency stop he'd have been toast.

So if you're on here or anyone knows who you are. This message is for you.

" You're an aggresive tool who gives road cyclist a bad reputation. Don't be a p***k and cycle with respect for all road users."
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    I wonder if even you know why you really posted this here
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    No idea really. Just think that it's the forum that most road cyclists gravitate to.

And how is life in leafy Surrey amongst all those self entitled city commuters ?
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    mr_goo said:

No idea really. Just think that it's the forum that most road cyclists gravitate to.

And how is life in leafy Surrey amongst all those self entitled city commuters ?

What do you reckon the odds of the cyclist reading that post?

Commuting is still only two days a week so life continues to be good
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    mr_goo said:

One decides to be a total censored and sprint after me and slipstreamed me at 25-30mph. He was within one bikes length of me!! If I had to make an emergency stop he'd have been toast.

You should have made an emergency stop... that would have learned him.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    I'm struggling to detect the aggression in the story other than the narrator's passive aggression.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    davidof said:

mr_goo said:

One decides to be a total censored and sprint after me and slipstreamed me at 25-30mph. He was within one bikes length of me!! If I had to make an emergency stop he'd have been toast.

You should have made an emergency stop... that would have learned him.

Someone once did that to me - actually I was eyeballing them in their rear view mirror as they'd done a stupid pass on me coming up to traffic lights when I was holding the lane. I nearly came off when my tyre touched their bumper, but I just stayed upright. They pulled over to the bus stop on the left (probably to swear at me for being a cyclist), while I carried on and went through the lights before they changed to red.

So in doing their silly pass and trying to punish me with an emergency stop, they delayed themselves much more than if they'd just been sensible and followed me through the lights.

Mind you, it was probably the last time I do the eyeballing in the rear view mirror thing - it was a bit of a close shave.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042

So in doing their silly pass and trying to punish me with an emergency stop, they delayed themselves much more than if they'd just been sensible and followed me through the lights.

Mind you, it was probably the last time I do the eyeballing in the rear view mirror thing - it was a bit of a close shave.

The "MGIF" drivers are really annoying, esp. when they then slow down and block you. I have something like that on my commute, a main road with a 40 mph limit that narrows right down and ends with a roundabout and a 20 mph zone. Drivers will force their way past me then squeeze me off the road as it narrows before slamming on the brakes for the r'bout and 20 zone. I tend not to go that way but every time, every time.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    TBH one of the very few redeeming features about having to share the roads with the two ton murder machines is getting a 30 second draft once in a while.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    davidof said:

The "MGIF" drivers are really annoying, esp. when they then slow down and block you. I have something like that on my commute, a main road with a 40 mph limit that narrows right down and ends with a roundabout and a 20 mph zone. Drivers will force their way past me then squeeze me off the road as it narrows before slamming on the brakes for the r'bout and 20 zone. I tend not to go that way but every time, every time.

The trouble is that the temptation is just so great to sit on their backside for the 'WTF?' expression when they realise that bikes can keep up at 30mph. But the other trouble is that I know I'll come off worse if the driver is a d!ck.

It's one of the pleasures of doing good Alpine descents when drivers realise that bikes can often go faster and let you past, so as not to spoil your fun. Col de Rousset is good for that.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776

It's one of the pleasures of doing good Alpine descents when drivers realise that bikes can often go faster and let you past, so as not to spoil your fun. Col de Rousset is good for that.

Been there, done that, albeit on different descents. Always give a thumbs up.
    Had the reverse from motor bikers. Respect to all who know what's what.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    pblakeney said:

Been there, done that, albeit on different descents. Always give a thumbs up.
    Had the reverse from motor bikers. Respect to all who know what's what.
    Been there too. The locals know the score and pull over, but I reckon the motorised tourists can get a bit freaked out and try and get away. The ONLY time I've had a bad car incident on a Col was with a frickin GB plate Peugeot who just had to get past me - and then parked up a few hundred meters down the road. It's like it's ingrained in their psyche.

On the motor bikers though - I had one of the best descents ever when a group of Swiss folk and myself all worked together and carved down the Aravis. It was amazing fun! Saying that - some of them can to be total knobbers.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Slightly off at a tangent but, one of my favourite sights from a bike race was after a mountain TT to Les Orres in the womens TDF 1989.

Watching the Gendarme bikes came down the switchbacks in groups of 5 moving like a snake. Was amazing to watch.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    edited April 2022
    Welfome back Goo, you've been away so long we thought you'd gone for good. Now you're here, is it time for another suitably witty update to the Brexit thread title? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]