Anyone got a Titanium bike?

2»

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    froze said:

mudsucker said:

due to it's light ish weight and flex/bump absorbing ability

This is largely a myth. Titanium is no more capable of absorbing flex, bumps, etc than any other material. If you are looking for a comfortable ride, look for something which gives you the opportunity to run higher volume tyres at lower pressures. The frame material is not really relevant - Ti looks good though, so if that's your wish, then go for it. But if you buy it thinking it will give you some kind of 'magic carpet' ride, you will be disappointed.

Not true. I have several steel bikes, scandium, and rode a lot of various carbon bikes, and I can tell you this, steel is the most comfortable of all the bikes I owned or test rode...until I bought my first TI bike, while there wasn't a day and night difference there was a difference, enough of one however for me to notice it, and at the time all my bikes were running 23c tires. But don't take my word for it because I know you won't, so see these websites instead:

https://wheretheroadforks.com/titanium-vs-carbon-fiber-bike-pros-and-cons/

http://www.bikeroar.com/articles/why-steel-and-titanium-are-better-than-carbon-fibre

https://bikehike.org/how-do-chromoly-bicycle-frames-compare-to-aluminum/

https://livehealthy.chron.com/steel-vs-titanium-bike-frames-4083.html

That is why Lynskey made the Helix bike, the frame has a twist in it, and that frame is designed to twist slightly along that twist, people who own this bike say it is incredibly nice to ride, like riding on a cushion...in bike terms.

Those sites are just people’s opinion which happen to match your own. My own opinion is that I went from a hand built 653 steel frame to a Van Nicholas ti frame and noticed no difference in ride whatsoever.

If you do some reading on the double diamond frame shape, you will understand that it cannot flex in the way you think it does. If it was capable of absorbing road bumps, etc then it would almost certainly collapse under your own weight before you even turned a pedal. Some of those sites are just embarrassing...
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,669
    There's no doubt that different materials have different mechanical properties, when comparing like for like.

Although these can be compensated for in tube thickness etc. it is also, at least in my experience, that in order to converge on a reasonable weight, cost and size, etc. you end up retaining in broad terms some general characteristics of those materials in bike frames.

e.g. Who wants an aero steel frame that weighs 5 kg, or a stiff steel frame that weighs 2.5 kg?

Also true that some people are fussier than others when it comes to ride characteristics. I'm quite fussy, but even I laugh at cycle journo technobabble about this sort of thing.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,578
    A bike is basically triangles. A triangle is the strongest, most rigid shape. Even if a triangle is made with hinged corners, it still won’t collapse and remains rigid. Therefore, since the rear wheel is held by 2 triangles, in my view it will be held rigidly in a fixed position relative to the rest of the frame whether it’s aluminium, steel, titanium or cf. i.e almost no give.
    The `comfort` of the front end must be almost entirely down to the fork and tyre, since the wheel is attached to the fork, the fork to the stem and handlebars. I.e not the frame.
    Elastomers in some frames might increase comfort, tube shaping?, tyre size/pressure, flexy seatposts (Ergon) but not the material itself.
    Lateral flex is different (the triangle is not relevant), and frame material could make a difference.
  • imposter2.0
    Also, what are these 'road shocks' that can be absorbed by a rigid material, but somehow cannot be absorbed by a flexible rubber tyre filled with air..??

The 'rubber tyre filled with air' thing also has a significant bearing on the lateral flex issue, mentioned above.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    exlaser said:

The bottom line is do your research and buy what you want . It’s your money .
    All I will say is my wife bought me Van Nicolas Ventus for my 50th birthday nine years ago, and I still love it now as much as I did then . 😀😀
    Even though I ended up with a lower end group set than I wanted to keep it on budget. I said I would change it after a couple of years , but it’s worked perfectly so have never bothered. Might treat myself for my 60th birthday , think it would look good with some high end campag hanging off it 😀

That woth Chorus or Record.

Pwwwoar

do it do it do it do it do it do it.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • imposter2.0
    froze said:

That is why Lynskey made the Helix bike, the frame has a twist in it, and that frame is designed to twist slightly along that twist, people who own this bike say it is incredibly nice to ride, like riding on a cushion...in bike terms.

I jus read up on the Helix - I'd heard of it but didn't know much about it. Lynskey's own information on the Helix states that the 'twist' in the frame tubes is there to stiffen the frame - not to make it more compliant.

From an engineering point of view, the frame being able to twist along the centreline of the tubes would be remarkable (not to mention very alarming) in any case, if you think about it for long enough.

• First.Aspect
  • chaymck
    chaymck Posts: 157
    I loved my kinesis until it cracked.
  • First.Aspect
    chaymck said:

I loved my kinesis until it cracked.

Better buy one made out of a material that never cracks then.
  • chaymck
    chaymck Posts: 157
    Or rusts, snaps, splinters...

What would you recommend 🤔 ...copper?
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I have a bike with titanium frame and forks. Frame and forks were purchased from a Chinese website (xacd.com) back in 2007. I've just had some new wheels built for it (Ambrosio Excellence 32 spokes on Shimano 105 5800 hubs). Continental gp 5000 tyres. Selle San Marco Rolls saddle. Record 10s ergo levers. Chorus calipers. Deda stem and bars. Easton seat post. Campag Comp Triple front derailleur, Champ Long rear derailleur.

For me this is a very comfortable and swift bike.