Washing gloves

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited September 2015 in Road general
I've got SealSkinz Winter gloves (the ones with small gel pads on them). I haven't used them since last Winter and I found that they're a bit pongy now. What's the best way to clean/refresh them?

Comments

• I turn mine fully inside out. It's a real pain to do (my top tip is to get a wooden spoon from the kitchen and use the handle end to help turn the individual fingers inside out. Pop in the washing machine for a normal wash, and when they're fully dry, turn them the right way out.

Be warned though - it's an exercise in extreme frustration getting them turned inside out, and usually even more difficult to get them right side out afterwards.
  • This is what I feared: turning them inside out. I'll give it a go tomorrow and I know it won't be easy! The Sealskinz website appears to suggest just washing them on a cold wash:

http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/product-care
    Non-knitted Gloves

All non-knitted gloves should be machine or hand washed at 30ºC or below.

There are no special requirements for the type of washing powder or detergent used.

Allow the product to drip dry naturally, avoid drying on a radiator or other direct heat source to prevent damaging the waterproof membrane.

It mentions turning knitted gloves inside out but not the ones I have. I can't see how they can be cleaned properly if they aren't turned inside out.
  • I put all cycling gloves regardless of washing instructions in a bog standard washing bag and wash them with the rest of my kit. (with Halo)
  • Okay, many thanks all. I'll stick them in a washing bag and put them in the washing machine.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Stick them in a washing bag (inside out or not), or in a zip pocket on whichever jersey you next wash. I do the same with caps - peak folded in, and into a pocket.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Chuck them in the wash with anything else that needs washed. If washing with cycling tops make sure the velcro flaps are properly joined.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Velcro is the mortal enemy of lycra, so if I wash items with velcro they go in one of those wash bag things already mentioned.

Not full proof, but less likely to end in damage.

On one (not a px pun) bag I had the zip itself was sharp and would cause damage in itself, so do check those too.

I have some fairly costly, and much loved garments, so just ordered some more bags to pop them in when used on a weekend ride etc.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    if you don't hsve a dedicated cycle specific laundry bag just chuck them in a pillow case.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • We just put ours in a normal cool wash with all the other kit, when needed, they just take a fair time to dry out.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

I turn mine fully inside out. It's a real pain to do (my top tip is to get a wooden spoon from the kitchen and use the handle end to help turn the individual fingers inside out. Pop in the washing machine for a normal wash, and when they're fully dry, turn them the right way out.

Be warned though - it's an exercise in extreme frustration getting them turned inside out, and usually even more difficult to get them right side out afterwards.

Not trying to be a sh*t head, but why turn then inside out? They are only cycling gloves.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    dennisn said:

I turn mine fully inside out. It's a real pain to do (my top tip is to get a wooden spoon from the kitchen and use the handle end to help turn the individual fingers inside out. Pop in the washing machine for a normal wash, and when they're fully dry, turn them the right way out.

Not trying to be a sh*t head, but why turn then inside out? They are only cycling gloves.
    It gives the inside a much better wash and gets rid of the pong.

My very first pair were full finger gloves and I washed them for a year or so without turning them inside out. After that time they just stank even after washing. Turned them inside out, problem solved and have been doing it ever since - every wash, I'm a sucker for punishment!