Paris

For my birthday, Mrs Laurentian has bought us Eurostar to Paris and tickets for Le Louvre (a place I have wanted to visit for a long, long time).

We'll be there for 3 days and are also going to see Versailles (her thing).

Staying in Arr 7 near La Tour Maubourg Metro Station

Any suggestions on what to do/not do, see/not see, where to eat/not eat, good cafes etc . . . I have a suspiscion this is going to cost a bomb!
Wilier Izoard XP

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    15 years since I've been, but the science museum and the sewer tour were good but might not be your thing.
    I'd bought one of those tourist things that gets you into museums for free/cheap, not sure if they still do them.

Some ideas for quirky things here: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheTimTraveller/search?query=paris
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Our favourite meal while in Paris was in the one below, with the plat du jour very good value indeed. Seemed to be full of Parisiennes and we were sat at a bench table full of them to give you a feel.
    For reference and comparison, we also ate at Tour d' Argent and know which one we preferred.

https://chez-lescure.zenchef.com

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485
    Be selective at the Louvre. You could spend all three days there and still not see it all.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Musee D'Orsay is amazing - if art is your thing, particularly impressionism, it's a stunning building with a stunning collection.

On a fine day, the Rodin Museum is a lovely place to be.

Both close to your lodgings.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    I did one of these while there on a work trip and it was great fun - but not cheap at €70 for an hour.
    https://2cvparistour.com/the-classic-tour/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I didn't enjoy Paris the first couple of times I went (doing the classic tourist traps and getting ripped off at cafés) but on the third visit we discovered the Latin Quarter and there are loads of cheaper, good quality restaurants covering all budgets and tastes. Pretty convenient for the 7th Arrondissement too.

In terms of getting about, as with all big cities I prefer to stroll around as you get to see so much more but if using the Metro I've always bought a carnet of tickets.

It's worth a trip to Montmartre for the Sacre Coeur and the views of the city. If you're planning a trip to the Eiffel Tower book tickets in advance, going up for sunset is the best time. Last time I went was just after the terrorist attacks so security checks were tight there adding to delays (and there was a heavy armed police presence at all the key tourist spots).
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    edited April 2022
    We were lucky enough to live there for 6 months and it’s the most wonderful city.

Cafes etc will most likely have changed since we were there in 2013 but we loved going to a brasserie in the Île de la Citi called Le Saint Regis. (Just checked and it is still there) .

Musée Rodin (as mentioned above) has lovely grounds to walk around - a very romantic space!

Montmartre is worth the trip for the views over Paris but does feel much more touristy than other areas.

Musée de l'Orangerie Is well worth going - it has the famous huge waterlily paintings by Monet. Never been in a gallery before where I literally went ‘wow’ when entering.

If you go up the Eiffel Tower expect to be disappointed - great views, but when we got to the top it didn’t feel like Paris - why not? Because you couldn’t see the Eiffel Tower any more as you were on it!!!!

Google the ‘Halles’ and you’ll find some lovely old-worldly covered shopping centres full of small independent and interesting shops.

Take in the Latin quarter or go for a stroll through the Tuileries.

If you can find a nice tabac, late afternoon, there’s no better way of having a snack and just people watching.

Wish I could recommend specifics but there were so many decent places I think you’ll be ok taking a chance.

Enjoy!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    edited April 2022
    Regarding the point about the Eiffel Tower, this was something I found in New York with the Empire State building and one of the reasons I would recommend people doing the Top of the Rock instead. It might be worth doing the Montparnasse Tower instead, I've got a feeling I may have done that at dusk when I went on a work trip about 20 years ago.

Edit - if going to Montmartre be aware that pickpockets are quite active (possibly the same at all the main tourist areas). Keep valuables safely out of site and ignore any attempts at distracting you.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    Paris is very busy at the moment so if you can pre book tickets to anything you want to see (like you did with the Louvre) it is best to do it.

There are also more thefts etc. from tourists than usual. Take care if you use the metro with pickpockets - usually Romanian children or youths and also with the usual tourist scams - fake deaf people with petitions, fake gold rings etc, all the usual crap eastern Europeans get up to. Don't make eye contact or talk to people you don't know and don't look like a tourist. Just take what money etc. you need for the day and leave the rest at the hotel.

A trip on the river (not on a bateau mouche) on a regular commuter boat or up the canal st Martin is nice if it is warm. Unpleasant if it is windy.

You are close to the Eiffel Tower and Champs de Mars (apparently you should avoid it after dark at the moment due to hold ups etc - which is new). Not too far over to the Luxembourg gardens although if you've seen one park, you've seen them all really. A long way from the Latin Quarter to eat and it is very touristy. Better to eat around la Tour Maubourg where there are pleasant cafes etc, rue Dominique is full of cafes, particularly: Bistro Saint Dominique and the other traditional cafes in that square. You've got les Invalides in front of your door if you like military stuff. Bercy is ok if you don't mind a bit of a trek.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited April 2022
    Paris in the
    the spring? ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Fantastic stuff chaps! It's always great to visit places on recommendation. Thank you all very much - will definitely be taking in some of the above. Currently making a list of what I want to see in the Louvre and the recommendations on Latin Quarter and various cafes has been duly noted.

Thanks again.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Pompidou Centre is worth a punt. Mrs W&G dragged me there years ago and inexplicably, I was so taken by the "modern art" on display that she eventually got bored and had to drag me out! The outside of the building itself is worth a look too as it looks like a cross between a waterslide complex and a crazy heating system gone wrong.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    Well, you get the idea, even if BR's coding is pants.

A couple of old churches for me tomorrow morning, before an afternoon flight.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    If you enjoy churches / stained glass then Saint Chapelle is unmissable!
  • briantrumpet
    shazzz said:

I went in there about 15 years ago, though I see now it's all ticketed and can get busy. Easter hols and all. Will see. St Sulpice will be the first stop.
  • briantrumpet
    edited April 2022
    Struck lucky with the weather today, so have really enjoyed a general wander around. Sainte Chapelle is within an amazingly big security cordon, and I couldn't be bothered to get an entry ticket, so I snapped from the outside. Even just that is amazing.

• micaab
    micaab Posts: 75
    My last visit included Palace of Versaille which was impressively large. Immense gardens.

And the catacombs were really interesting...

https://www.catacombes.paris.fr/

• briantrumpet
    I've had a top tip to visit St Eustache church next time, right near le Chatelet, and not far from the gardens next to the Louvre, so I think I've got my next morning in Paris (8 September) sorted. I can might get onto the line "I love Paris in the Fall".
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Pompidou Centre is worth a punt. Mrs W&G dragged me there years ago and inexplicably, I was so taken by the "modern art" on display that she eventually got bored and had to drag me out! The outside of the building itself is worth a look too as it looks like a cross between a waterslide complex and a crazy heating system gone wrong.

+1 for Pompidou - mega. Really, really good.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • shazzz said:

Not particularly an interest of mine, but wow. Good recommendation.

• shazzz said:

Not particularly an interest of mine, but wow. Good recommendation.

Despite my not being at all religious, so many churches just blow me away, especially when you consider their age and the technology of the time. And then if you get into how they bear witness to social history (and not to mention building design and techniques), and you start looking closely, they get more and more fascinating.
  • I've had a top tip to visit St Eustache church next time, right near le Chatelet, and not far from the gardens next to the Louvre, so I think I've got my next morning in Paris (8 September) sorted. I can might get onto the line "I love Paris in the Fall".

Incidentally, this is still on my to-do list, as SNCF cancelled my Ouigo train for 7 September, which was just as well, as I'd forgotten I'd got the ticket, and had also bought one direct to Charles de Gaulle airport for the 8th. Idiot.