tuesday has the radar cross section of a most succulent pineapple

'ning

ride cafes and gmc rendezvous
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,858
    Gentle jog with hounds and now back to work fun and games 🤬

Another run later and no ale - think my liver needs a holiday from Me being on holiday
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,311
    edited April 2022
    Stunning morning.
    Perfect pedalling weather.
    Toots are back at school today.
    Benny Beans had a good night and is appearing confident and curious this morning.
    Must start chasing loose ends, missed calls and administrators with amnesia.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141
    Had to scrape ice off the car for this morning's hybrid commute.
    Traffic was shyte, so turned off road which was also shyte.
    Counting down to home time already :neutral:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,406
    Sitting at a railway station cafe scoffing sausage roll and supping coffee while junior's car gets MOT'd. Keeping an eye on emails at the same time and guess what, there are quite a few.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,532
    Wfh today for the first time in a while.

Finally off to Tokyo for a week in August. Woo hoo! Though weather is a bit muggy.
  • Stevo_666

Finally off to Tokyo for a week in August. Woo hoo! Though weather is a bit muggy.

Good going. Should be interesting, if a bit sweaty outdoors.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,559
    Finally got a day of doing near nothing. Lazy walk, coffee, a little tidy up of some tools and odds and ends, then chucked a pile of scrap wood in the outdoor fire pit and burned it, ideal day for sitting about outside round a (big) fire. Mate come round this afternoon to use the workshop space for his car. I supervised from afar.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,001
    Back from a few days in sunny Dubrovnik, lovely place and well worth a visit. More than three days might be a stretch though.
    Flight back was, err, interesting. High winds, higher than I've ever experienced and that's from someone who goes high in the alps in winter regularly.
    Inbound plan was diverted to Zagreb so we had a few hours delay, eventually our runway sprint felt like being in a rear wheel drive beemer on sheet ice as it was drifting all over the place.
    Suffice to say the wine trolley got a hammering when it came round to calm peoples nerves.
    Quick pre work ride loop this morning, computery stuff for the day and maybe a dip in the hot tub later.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,715

Back from a few days in sunny Dubrovnik, lovely place and well worth a visit. More than three days might be a stretch though.

For anyone going in the future for longer I recommend the cable car and boat trips.
    The little island offshore is good to escape the cruise ship hoardes.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,001
    We did a short 50 minute trip around the large island just off the old town harbor, it was pretty decent for 15e
    We did the walk along the old town walls, a good way for Garmin to applaud your steps and flights of stairs climbed.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • beansnikpoh
    Stevo_666 said:

Now changed to 8 days at the end of May. Much less hot and humid. Looking forward to it immensely. Hopefully work won't get in the way too much, and I can experience a bit of the city.
  • pinno

Flight back was, err, interesting. High winds, higher than I've ever experienced and that's from someone who goes high in the alps in winter regularly.
    Inbound plan was diverted to Zagreb so we had a few hours delay, eventually our runway sprint felt like being in a rear wheel drive beemer on sheet ice as it was drifting all over the place.
    Suffice to say the wine trolley got a hammering when it came round to calm peoples nerves.
    Quick pre work ride loop this morning, computery stuff for the day and maybe a dip in the hot tub later.

I recall a very windy landing in Edinburgh from Faro. We left a sunny 22 deg (April) and landed in a howling gale and rain.
    Bloody hell that was sketchy.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Now changed to 8 days at the end of May. Much less hot and humid. Looking forward to it immensely. Hopefully work won't get in the way too much, and I can experience a bit of the city.
    Definitely will be more comfortable and sounds like you'll have a weekend there. Make sure you get to some of those trad Japanese restaurants where you have to take your shoes off etc. And get bladdered on Sake :)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,514

Stevo_666 said:

https://gotokuji.jp/en/manekineko/ :smiley:
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,715
    pinno said:

I recall a very windy landing in Edinburgh from Faro. We left a sunny 22 deg (April) and landed in a howling gale and rain.
    Bloody hell that was sketchy.
    L.A. to Vancouver with a first time flyer sat next to me who I was reassuring that a bit of turbulence was normal.
    While looking past her at the flight crew sat down, strapped in, and throwing up.
    Damned good roller coaster ride! 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    Not if you hate flying.
  • pinno
    On a short flight - Stockholm to Copenhagen in a little SAS plane (2+2) which rev up at a standstill and off you go at a pace and then up at a helluva angle, there was this Italian.
    The air hostesses had a torrid time keeping him in his seat and eventually there were 2 holding him down at the front and one at the back whilst he shouted loudly 'Mamma mia., Mamma mia'. When the light went out he shot out of his seat like a rabbit and paced the gangway all the way to Copenhagen.
  • thistle_
    We came back from Cyprus once and there was a few minutes of turbulence, probably over the Alps. They put the seatbelt light on beforehand and announced that they were expecting it.
    All the pensioners were screaming, we were laughing.
  • pinno
    Benny beans update:

Very wary for most of the day. Peers round the corner at you and sometimes runs off. Has accustomised to the noise of the washdisher but overall. loud and new sounds spook him. Then when I was out, I got some treats...

I now know, the secret to his heart is through his belly.
    So we played ping pong and hide a pencil under a blanket/fleece/cushion/anything and wiggle it whilst he pounces. I also hid around a door in a bid to teach him hide and seek but my presence wasn't enough to lure him - unlike Jack* but something long enough to avoid claws is.
    Happy chap.

£1.19 well spent.

*He would simply bop you and claim victory till he got bored.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,667
    Just attended what well may have been the best gig in my life - Saucerful of Secrets, Nick Mason's band inc Gary Kemp as one of the guitarists, playing the earlier Pink Floyd material. Such a good live band, so on it. Great evening.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,394
    pinno said:

Not if you hate flying.

My missus can’t even bear to look at the conquer your fear of flying book I got her because it makes her anxious!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

Not if you hate flying.

My missus can’t even bear to look at the conquer your fear of flying book I got her because it makes her anxious!
    She has a friend in me.
  • beansnikpoh
    My slight apprehension of flying was fixed by flying through a snowstorm into Geneva. The sort of turbulence where the plane drops out of the sky so that if you weren't strapped in, you would hit the roof. Stuff flying everywhere, people screaming, puking etc. Flight attendants just sitting there, strapped in & trusting the pilot Made me realise there's not much else you can do if you're going to fly.
  • pinno
    Your destiny in someone else's hands at 35,000 ft in an aluminium tube propelled by 2 jet engines spinning at 100,000rpm.
    Wonderful.
  • beansnikpoh
    pinno said:

Your destiny in someone else's hands at 35,000 ft in an aluminium tube propelled by 2 jet engines spinning at 100,000rpm.
    Wonderful.

You forgot the thousands of litres of highly flammable jet fuel. ;)

My destiny in the hands of 2 highly trained individuals, plus air traffic control, in a highly maintained and regulated aircraft operating according to the laws of physics.

Sure it's a real fear for you and many others, but it's an irrational one nonetheless. I mean, people think they're safe in cars, but have you seen some of the mouthbreathers they let drive, and that's before considering the drivers who are unlicensed/uninsured/drunk/high/tired/on the phone and unsafe/unfit vehicles. People's assessment of risk is flawed.
  • pinno
    edited April 2022
    I totally agree. It's safer to fly to NY than drive to the supermarket. And I go cycling?! That's frikkin suicidal that cycling.
    And the other rationale - pop your (flat) hand out of the car window at 60mph and there is an amazing amount of force placed on it from the wind but you can stuff all that rational sh1t 'cos there's a part of my brain that won't budge.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,394

pinno said:

Wonderful.

You forgot the thousands of litres of highly flammable jet fuel. ;)

My destiny in the hands of 2 highly trained individuals, plus air traffic control, in a highly maintained and regulated aircraft operating according to the laws of physics.

Sure it's a real fear for you and many others, but it's an irrational one nonetheless. I mean, people think they're safe in cars, but have you seen some of the mouthbreathers they let drive, and that's before considering the drivers who are unlicensed/uninsured/drunk/high/tired/on the phone and unsafe/unfit vehicles. People's assessment of risk is flawed.
    Explaining the irrationality of irrational fear to the irrational is pointless. I’ve tried and failed many times. Although I think they take some perverse enjoyment from winding up the rational.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    oxoman said:

My OH is not bothered about the flying bit, but the fact she's stuck in a tube. She hates trains, large cruise ships, lifts and anywhere really enclosed. Never used to bother her but motherhood rewired a few circuits wrong I suspect, so she's a PITA at times.

She sounds perfectly sensible to me.
  • thistle_
    oxoman said:

My OH is not bothered about the flying bit, but the fact she's stuck in a tube. She hates trains, large cruise ships, lifts and anywhere really enclosed. Never used to bother her but motherhood rewired a few circuits wrong I suspect, so she's a PITA at times.

Ah.
    Problem solved: https://thewingwalkcompany.com/
  • pinno
    The funny thing is, i'd have a go at that.