The Hell of the North 2022 ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited April 2022 in Pro race
119th Paris-Roubaix:- Compiègne › Roubaix 257.2km

This edition will not only be the first spring edition of Paris-Roubaix since 2019, but thanks to last week's French Presidential election, the Queen of the Classics will be held on Easter Sunday, which, for many years, was the traditional day of the race.
The route is largely unchanged and features 55kms of pavé.

The Hell of the North opens with almost 100 kilometres on flat and smooth asphalt. Often the battle to get into the break will last for much of these first two hours racing. As the peloton nears Troisvilles, they encounter the first, two kilomentre section of pavé. The route continues with every 6 kilometres or so a bunch of cobbles.

Tension rises when approaching the Arenberg Forest at the heart of the race. Paris-Roubaix really is on fire when hitting the pavé to Wandignies-Hamage and the route continues onto Mons-en-Pévèle. The iconic Carrefour de l’Arbre appears with 16.5 kilometres left, which is really their last opportunity to get clear.

Official Website:
https://www.paris-roubaix.fr/en/

Top competitors

VAN AERT Wout
MOHORIČ Matej
VAN DER POEL Mathieu
MERLIER Tim
KÜNG Stefan
LAPORTE Christophe
MATTHEWS Michael
KRISTOFF Alexander
PEDERSEN Mads
STUYVEN Jasper
TRENTIN Matteo
ASGREEN Kasper
GANNA Filippo
SAGAN Peter
KWIATOKOWSKI Michal

Unlike last year, it's going to be very.....

2nd Paris-Roubaix Femmes Denain › Roubaix 124.7km

The women's race features the last 17 cobbled sectors.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I thought Sagan wasn't riding?
  • blazing_saddles
    andyp said:

I thought Sagan wasn't riding?

The start list is yet to be confirmed but atm he is down to start according to PCS.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    I've read Sagan is taking a break as he feels he's suffering long covid. If he is suffering I hope he isn't pressured into carrying on racing as extreme endurance exercise and post viral complications are not a good mix.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • blazing_saddles

I've read Sagan is taking a break as he feels he's suffering long covid. If he is suffering I hope he isn't pressured into carrying on racing as extreme endurance exercise and post viral complications are not a good mix.

I can only reiterate that some teams are yet to be confirmed. However, here's a link to the official website and specifically Direct Energies current published team. Note that Terpstra is the reserve.

https://www.paris-roubaix.fr/en/team/TEN/totalenergies
  • blazing_saddles
    edited April 2022
    Now, onto more pressing matters. (around here at least)
    Ineos current odds.

Ganna 16/1
    Pidcock 22/1
    Van Baarle 30/1
    Sheffield 40/1
    Kwiatkowski 40/1

Less than impressive odds for Pidcock, since he currently isn't riding.

Mathieu van der Poel (Ned) Alpecin-Fenix @ 3/1
    Mads Pedersen (Den) Trek-Segafredo @ 9/2
    Wout van Aert (Bel) Jumbo-Visma @ 7/1
    Kasper Asgreen (Den) Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl @ 16/1
    Stefan Küng (Sui) Grouapam-FDJ @ 16/1
    Christophe Laporte (Fra) Jumbo-Visma @ 16/1
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Van Baarle odds of 30/1 seems generous
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,123
    Kung at 16s doesn't seem generous.
  • blazing_saddles
    Ineos have found another way to put the fear of God into their opponents.

• Pross

Kung at 16s doesn't seem generous.

I'd have van Baarle at similar odds. Both are riders unlikely to win but who have a chance of riding away if the main favourites mess around watching each other.
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    edited April 2022
    That poster ^^ has a sort of Arenberg meets Zwift volcano route feel to it :D:D
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Such are the joys of retirement I’ve completely lost track of the Calendar. I’ve planned my weekend on the basis that tomorrow is Sunday. I now find I need to entertain myself tomorrow afternoon.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Lappartient has been floating the idea of moving Roubaix to the Autumn. I can see no good reason for doing this.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    It rained that one time...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,311
    Mad_Malx said:

Such are the joys of retirement I’ve completely lost track of the Calendar. I’ve planned my weekend on the basis that tomorrow is Sunday. I now find I need to entertain myself tomorrow afternoon.

Bike ride?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,311
    RichN95. said:

Lappartient has been floating the idea of moving Roubaix to the Autumn. I can see no good reason for doing this.

No idea why. I really like the whole "holy week" thing of Flanders + Roubaix.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    m.r.m. said:

RichN95. said:

No idea why. I really like the whole "holy week" thing of Flanders + Roubaix.
    Knowing Lappartient he's probably making room in the schedule for the Presidential Tour of Greater Russia
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,194
    Mad_Malx said:

Well there's Paris Roubaix women tomorrow
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    Neither champion is retuning this year. Both for medical reasons. One more serious than the other, obviously.

Colbrelli shows the extreme ups and downs in a short time in this sport.
  • Pross
    Interesting to see PTP picks for Ganna who has ridden the race twice before and never finished. Not doubting he has the power to do well but does he have the technical ability?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,216
    Pross said:

Interesting to see PTP picks for Ganna who has ridden the race twice before and never finished. Not doubting he has the power to do well but does he have the technical ability?

He’s a decent bike handler
  • Pross

Pross said:

He’s a decent bike handler
    Yeah, won the espoirs version too which I didn't know. Still not sure he justifies being the only non-MvdP pick for PTP when I looked earlier or being considered among the favourites in some reviews
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    He's going to need some luck but if he gets away, who is going to catch him?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,123
    Maybe it's memories of that 2020 giro stage. He's another who seems like he has a chance if and only if he gets away and everyone else plays silly buggers.
  • blazing_saddles
    I'd be concerned that Ineos seem to have a lot of chiefs but very few Indians....
    ....they may end up having to compete against themselves!

Btw, it's now confirmed: Sagan out Terpstra in. Not that it's a surprise.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892

I'd be concerned that Ineos seem to have a lot of chiefs but very few Indians....

Kwiato has only ridden Roubaix twice, with a best finish of 70th, so I suspect he's going to be in Indian mode rather than chief. It's quite possible that Ganna will be likewise and asked to do something like what Tony Martin did a few years ago, or indeed what Ganna himself did in Strada Bianchi the year Bernal got on the podium.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,216

One PR winner for another. Could be worse
  • RichN95.
    Pross said:

One time he finished but was outside the time limit. Both times were just after the World Track Champs which would have been his spring focus.
  • Pross

I suppose once Rowe gets them safely into Arenburg it will be a bit of a free for all anyway. Not any easy race to play team tactics other than having as many people as possible at the front for as long as they can stay there.
  • blazing_saddles
    Watching the woman’s race but some way behind live.
    Two thirds of the peloton dropped on the first section of pave, leaving the cream to chase the break.
  • blazing_saddles
    Kopecky, Bastianelli and Brandt distance everyone at 52kms to go