Rim wear from brakes

The Alexrims CX30 have these grooves where the brake pads touch the wheel, probably to increase the contact surface and improve braking. They all but disappeared after 2’300 km and I’m worried that at this rate i’m going to eat through the rim in a few months. Should I be worried?

Schrödinger’s cat walked into a bar - and didn’t.

Comments

• ecce_moo
    ecce_moo Posts: 6
    edited April 2022

Thanks for the link. Seems to me they may need changing at 5k km. Which is not so much.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    oxoman said:

Tends to be the cheaper the wheel the quicker it wears. Also depends on the type of riding you do as well. My American classic victory wheels did 10k of commuting in all weather using decent brake blocks before being worn out and replaced with some handbuilts.

this but with Aksiums snd Kyseriums, replaced with Aksiums and Kyseriums.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,706
    Those rims look okay to me. What am I missing?
  • ecce_moo
    ecce_moo Posts: 6

The ridges worn off quite quickly and I was afraid the rims themselves will do the same. Alex Rims are soft.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,706
    ecce_moo said:

The ridges worn off quite quickly and I was afraid the rims themselves will do the same. Alex Rims are soft.
    I think those ridges will wear much faster, because the pressure applied by the blocks will be focused. They are also only a few hundred microns deep. Total wear depth is going to be 2 mm, or in that ball park.