Where do Mavic Cosmic Elite UST clincher wheels stand against Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels?

Hi all,
I’ve got an old set of Mavic Ksyrium Elites on my Focus Cayo which I use as an all round bike.It’s still a good bike, but I don’t mind riding it in the wet/ winter now when needed.
They have been fantastic, have served me loyally over many miles without fault , but think the hub bearings and possibly the freewheel hub may need sorting. Mavic Cosmic Elites are on sale for a v good price and I’m just wondering what the economics are. Get the Ksyriums serviced, or buy a new wheelset of Cosmic Elites for circa £250
Just wondering where the Cosmic Elites stand against the Ksyrium Elites in terms of quality? Am I right in thinking they are a ‘ half-way house’ between Aksiums and Ksyriums.
Anyone have experience of them on their bike please?
Alternatively, is there an equivalent to the Ksyriums which no longer seem to be sold at a reasonable price.
Thoughts welcomed. Thank you!

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited March 2022
    I think I have a cosmic elite front wheel that I bought in error thinking I’d ordered a Ksyrium. It’s no where as stiff as the Ksyrium.
    I stopped using it as I thought the bearings had gone as it was clicking when I rode it.
    So I bought some new wheels, however the clicking was my computer wheel magnet hitting the mudguard stay. :s
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 442
    Thanks Webboo. Interesting re the lack of stiffness of the Cosmic.
    I’m going to keep looking I think!
    Anyone else got a suggestion for’ a similar’ wheelset to the old Ksyrium Elites please?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Zonda
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,576
    Campagnolo Zondas could be worth a look.

Or Cero wheels?
    https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/wheels/cero-ar30-evo-wheelset-8858
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • molteni_man
    Thank you Dan b & Shirl b - useful recommendations!
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Why not just change the freehub. Ksyrium Elites are a step up from Cosmic and the Zonda are similar but not really any better. The only downside with older Elites are that the rims are pretty narrow. Before carbon wheels went mainstream the Elites were considered a pretty good upgrade. I bought a set about 9 years ago, needed to change the freehub once but still going strong
    https://bike-components.de/en/Mavic/FTS-L-Freehub-Body-as-of-2011-p32911/
  • molteni_man
    dowtcha said:

Why not just change the freehub. Ksyrium Elites are a step up from Cosmic and the Zonda are similar but not really any better. The only downside with older Elites are that the rims are pretty narrow. Before carbon wheels went mainstream the Elites were considered a pretty good upgrade. I bought a set about 9 years ago, needed to change the freehub once but still going strong
    https://bike-components.de/en/Mavic/FTS-L-Freehub-Body-as-of-2011-p32911/

Thank you dowtcha. This is where I think I’m heading! Like you say Ksyriums great upgrade. The link to the freehub is much appreciated!! Best wishes!

• 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    The Cosmic is fine. but as I got fitter you could notice the flex in it when putting down power.
  • molteni_man
    50x11 said:

The Cosmic is fine. but as I got fitter you could notice the flex in it when putting down power.

Cheers 50 x 11. It’s good to get feedback from other riders.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Merlin had the Elite SLs on special the other day....
  • molteni_man
    bmxboy10 said:

Merlin had the Elite SLs on special the other day....

Good shout bmxboy. Thank you. That’s where I saw the Cosmics, but didn’t realise the Elites were reduced too. Getting my current Elite’s looked at on Monday, but this is tempting too!
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Just bought some ksyrium 30’s for my gravel bike, not my first choice but I needed qr disc and Mavic are the only ones that seem to come with adaptors, very impressed really nice wheels and have a star ratchet hub like dt swiss.
  • Cosmic elites are fab for the money. I have been using a set and they seem pretty bomb proof to me. I have no complaints.
    If you want to go elsewhere then consider the Hunt range. I have a set on my “good” bike and they really are great.
  • molteni_man
    Thanks again all. I took the rear wheel into a lbs and they have done a fab ‘ investigation’ on the wheel discovering a bearing very slightly misaligned explaining why the horrible noise when freewheeling only happened after 30 miles of riding or so. Think it was heating it up and forcing it out further with heat. The Freehub was still good after many miles. I’d missed it myself when checking.
    Have ridden the bike twice now on long rides and is rolling well again !
    So, the Ksyrium Elites live on again!