Richard Moore (The Cycling Podcast) - RIP

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
edited March 2022 in Pro race
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Really sad news. RIP.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 606
    :(
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    Just awful :'(
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    so very sad :(
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878
    So sad, an excellent cycling writer, and he will leave a big hole for various editors to try to fill. :'(
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Unbelievably tragic. Literally was listening to them on the way to work. 😥
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    Very sad and shocking - the main 3 elements (Moore, Birnie and Friebe) worked brilliantly as a team. It won’t be the same without him.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Hadn't realised how young he was, so central was his voice to British (and presumably Anglophone?) coverage of cycling, and it's a voice that will be much missed.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    ddraver said:

Unbelievably tragic. Literally was listening to them on the way to work. 😥

And me... not sure how to face doing it on the way home.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Stalwart character . RIP
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    His voice was so iconic.. a relaxed mature take on things ... Centered
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Good bloke too. Took a train ride home with him after one of the early live podcasts.

Relaxed, fun, stuck to his opinions.

Total sh!tter.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Terrible news, gutted to be honest - way too young.

Was listening to them the other night.
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,675
    What horrible news.

He was a good bloke who clearly loved cycling just as we all do

RIP
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    edited March 2022
    Awful news :(

Weird thing, having listened to so many hours podcasting this news brings a different level of sense of loss.

RIP Richard.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879

Good bloke too. Took a train ride home with him after one of the early live podcasts.

Relaxed, fun, stuck to his opinions.

Total sh!tter.

Regret not going to the Belfast live podcast

Big lesson, reinforcing the conclusion reached during lock down- always buy the ticket, opportunity may not come round again.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Jesus - what awful news. We followed each other on Twitter and had a few good chats via DMs. I had a lot of time for him.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,614
    Sheesh. I've listened to that podcast for years, since the days it was called the Telegraph cycling podcast. That's really sad news. RIP Richard.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Saw that earlier too, I was only listening on the way to work this morning myself. Such sad news
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    He was less than two weeks older than me which is a bit sobering. And I can guarantee I've treated my body worse.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132

Awful news :(

Weird thing, having listened to so many hours podcasting this news brings a different level of sense of loss.

RIP Richard.

It's testament to his skill that it feels like losing someone I knew.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,614
    Is there info on the cause? He was a (for some of us anyway) relatively young guy. So sad.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    orraloon said:

Is there info on the cause? He was a (for some of us anyway) relatively young guy. So sad.

On GCN Dan Lloyd said he passed away in his sleep.
  • This news has made me so sad today. It genuinely feels like I've lost a friend, and I don't know what Daniel and Lionel will do now

Such a terrible loss, and such sad news
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    This is just terrible.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 452
    Awful news.

I didn’t know him personally but somehow feels like I’ve lost a friend
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    That’s a real demonstration of his class. ‘In his presence I became somebody’.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.