wednesday is almost thursday

'ning

gloomygrey

ride cafes and wfh, bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Mmmm rest day and despite knee niggles resting really doesn’t appeal.

Work stuff with a swim later, potentially ale avoidance again but we will see.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Getting up at silly o'clock makes it feel like another again as its not quite light then. Must lie in tomorrow to compensate.

On the train into The Big Smoke for a morning full of meetings and dealing with some stupidity.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Dull, cloudy and brr...
    tlw1 said:

...rest day...swim later... .

?

Coffee went down too easy.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tlw1
    pinno said:

Dull, cloudy and brr...

tlw1 said:

...rest day...swim later... .

?

Coffee went down too easy.

Not very good at relaxing.

Especially as I have my kit list building in the office as a constant reminder

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    Morning. WFW today. Dull, grey and cold. Feel half dead. Cycle in today was a stuggle. Fed up with the loss of leg power. Grrrr. Meetings all day which i could have done from home.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• pinno
    What is that ^ TLW?

...and what event starts in PP?
    There's no shortage of accommodation and pubs in PP.
    In fact, you can sleep upstairs in most of the pubs.
  • tlw1
    pinno said:

What is that ^ TLW?

Sleeping bag. Race across Scotland - think the logistics don’t work for that one as apparently the current wife has a job/kids/life and the world doesn’t revolve around me 😳
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited March 2022
    Ciao

Writing reports. Dull as dishwater.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Stevo_666
    tlw1 said:

pinno said:

What is that ^ TLW?

Race across Scotland
    You wouldn't want to go slowly in case some of the natives catch up with you.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

pinno said:

What is that ^ TLW?

Race across Scotland
    The other race is in wales most of the time 🤦‍♂️
  • Stevo_666
    tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

pinno said:

What is that ^ TLW?

Race across Scotland
    What a choice :p
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

pinno said:

What is that ^ TLW?

Race across Scotland
    Fcuked either way.
    I mean; proper fcuked.
  • tlw1
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

pinno said:

What is that ^ TLW?

Race across Scotland
    Fcuked either way.
    I mean; proper fcuked.
    😳
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    tlw1 said:

pinno said:

What is that ^ TLW?

Sleeping bag. Race across Scotland - think the logistics don’t work for that one as apparently the current wife has a job/kids/life and the world doesn’t revolve around me 😳
    Southern Upland Way? 215 miles. Only. Some cracking scenery. And depending on the time of year, cracking flying biters. On BBC iPlayer there's a series Iain Robertson Rambles, actor guy walked it with drone and handheld cameras, good watch.

Not dehydrated at work work today, 18c last week, 8c today. Spring has def sprung.
  • tlw1
    orraloon said:

tlw1 said:

pinno said:

What is that ^ TLW?

Southern Upland Way? 215 miles. Only. Some cracking scenery. And depending on the time of year, cracking flying biters. On BBC iPlayer there's a series Iain Robertson Rambles, actor guy walked it with drone and handheld cameras, good watch.

Not dehydrated at work work today, 18c last week, 8c today. Spring has def sprung.
    That’s the one - probably a push too far. Will watch the program - thanks
  • pinno
    SUW - gorgeous route TLW.
  • tlw1
    pinno said:

SUW - gorgeous route TLW.

Looks great but hard logistics, nearly three times longer than I’ve raced before and £500 for 11 feed station where you will get taste fatigue and not eat much!

Upside, flatter than other races I’m looking at and one of the instructors at the gym is sponsored by the organiser and has done it before, so having a chat with him tomorrow
  • pinno
    What's the distance/duration?
  • tlw1
    pinno said:

Offas dyke - 185 circa 30k ft of climbing. Advantage is it passes close to the house so support in the later stages is possible (though if on schedule it would clash with a tennis party 😂)
  • Stevo_666
    tlw1 said:

pinno said:

Offas censored
    Even the swear filter is a bit PC these days :)
  • pinno
    tlw1 said:

pinno said:

Offas censored - 185 circa 30k ft of climbing. Advantage is it passes close to the house so support in the later stages is possible (though if on schedule it would clash with a tennis party 😂)
    Offas D.yke race.
    I was referring to the Southern upland one.
    Found it: https://www.gbultras.com/ultra-great-britain/

How long will Offas and the SUW take to do?
    Do you sleep at all during the event?
  • tlw1
    pinno said:

tlw1 said:

pinno said:

Offas censored - 185 circa 30k ft of climbing. Advantage is it passes close to the house so support in the later stages is possible (though if on schedule it would clash with a tennis party 😂)
    Offas D.yke race.
    I was referring to the Southern upland one.
    Found it: https://www.gbultras.com/ultra-great-britain/

How long will Offas and the SUW take to do?
    Do you sleep at all during the event?
    Correct re GB ultra

Cut offs are 90 and 100 hrs respectively. Both are non-stop but in reality everyone will try and grab some sleep, some swear by 10 min micro sleeps others 1.5 hrs - not sure where I sit with either tbh.

Offas starts at 20:00 which means you are already tired and you have to carry your sleeping bag at all times (hence buying a lightweight one)
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    edited March 2022
    Not a race, but a timed ultra, a woman recently ran the whole Pembrokeshire coast path 186 miles in 51 hours!! It's only been done twice, but she smashed the previous man's record 64 hours.
    Some mad woman ran the whole Welsh coastal path 860 miles, then continued doing Offas to get home. 41 days.
    It makes my knees hurt just typing it.
  • pinno
    Yes but but these Ultra runners like Sanna Duthrie are very slight (unlike TLW).

I have personal comparison. I ballooned to 72kg's with an undiagnosed under-active thyroid.
    I walked shame faced up a climb that normally I would never walk. Even when my left hip was in tatters (it was 'hoovered' out), I never walked up a climb. After chemo and radiotherapy, never walked a climb (although, back then i'll be honest, I did avoid anything long).
    Ffwd 1 year later after putting on all that weight and down to 67kg's, it was like being given new legs.
    I am now 64kg's and go past guys who are much fitter and much stronger than me uphill.
    My haematologist always asks me if I am still cycling and of all of his patients that cycle*, I am the only one who goes up and down hills and I really don't think that's down to determination alone.

*One of them actually moved to a flatter area so that he could keep pedalling.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    I never realised you'd been so ill. I hope it's a long time behind you now.
  • pinno
    masjer said:

I never realised you'd been so ill. I hope it's a long time behind you now.

I didn't realise either, ha ha!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    pinno said:

Yes but but these Ultra runners like Sanna Duthrie are very slight (unlike TLW).

Have you seen him recently? I think I need to start feeding him before the BB forum rides.

• Stevo_666
    pinno said:

I have personal comparison. I ballooned to 72kg's with an undiagnosed under-active thyroid.
    I walked shame faced up a climb that normally I would never walk. Even when my left hip was in tatters (it was 'hoovered' out), I never walked up a climb. After chemo and radiotherapy, never walked a climb (although, back then i'll be honest, I did avoid anything long).
    Ffwd 1 year later after putting on all that weight and down to 67kg's, it was like being given new legs.
    I am now 64kg's and go past guys who are much fitter and much stronger than me uphill.
    My haematologist always asks me if I am still cycling and of all of his patients that cycle*, I am the only one who goes up and down hills and I really don't think that's down to determination alone.

*One of them actually moved to a flatter area so that he could keep pedalling.

Good stuff, but saying you ballooned to 72kg might annoy a few people who last weighed that much in their teens :)
  • pinno
    Yep ^.
  • pinno
    thistle_ said:

pinno said:

Have you seen him recently? I think I need to start feeding him before the BB forum rides.

Do I want to see him?