• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    Current wife’s birthday and Mother’s Day - so perhaps not go for a run
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    tlw1 said:

Current wife’s birthday and Mother’s Day - so perhaps not go for a run

Just be quick and she won't notice.

Contemplating what to do, weather's turned out nice again which wasn't as forecast.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Currently on the way to Jersey to collect some art.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    seanoconn said:

Currently on the way to Jersey to collect some art.

How old school. If it was NFT you could just tax dodge from home.

Where has the sun gone? Just as well did do the barbie 'n' drinks sesh yesterday, plus it also marked daughter #1 submitting her final dissertation of her MBA, tick, open the bubbles.

Best wrap up and do a refresher ride before watching the pros cruise through some of my regular Flemish haunts. They do go a bit faster than me.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Not enough sleep due to an ill dog - senior hound puked on the landing just as we were going to bed then had to get taken out at 4am as he had the trots. Seems alright now but had to have a bit of a lie in. Currently debating whether to take them out or let them rest.

At least the light evenings are here at last.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Slow morning, just faffing about outside in the sunshine. Out at lunch and then on to collect one of those elliptical cross-trainer machines for OH to use. Ha! As if...

It's stuck in the ute, too heavy and awkward for us to lift out and the neighbours were out.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    sungod said:

...back to darker mornings again, sigh,...

Not for long - stop moaning..

Bright.
    Got up at 6.30 new time.
    Washed and cleaned the car.
    Now off to Mini owner mate's house to fix 3 bikes: 1 dodgy old school bb, one broken spoke and 1 mangled rear mech.
    All shyte.
    His partner is expecting.
    She's very big.
    Baby is underweight @ 26 weeks.
    The two things are linked. Overweight women: fat but under-nourished. Makes me slightly angry actually.

These people have the power to make changes to their lifestyle without any external intervention but don't.
    Don't understand.
    If you say 'you are going to die if you carry on drinking'. Stop drinking.
    Or you will have a heart attack if you keeping eating this sh1t.
    You will end up with piles and possibly bowel cancer because your diet is poor and you are constantly constipated.
    Your baby is underweight because you eat badly - it may have a lifetime of problems because of a bad start in life.

Rant over, must go.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Shyte related:

I presume that there is no compatibility issues fitting a long cage Deore XT or similar to a 9 speed Shimano cassette?

[Mini mate mangled the rear mech hanger and rear mech]
  • pinno
    @veronese68
    @sungod
    @Matthewfalle
    @oxoman
    @orraloon
    @Queenelizabeth2
    @Kermitthefrog

No point asking those likely lads Stevo and Seano.

Anyone?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,436
    can't see why not, 9 spacing is the same for all shimano/sram
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pinno
    sungod said:

can't see why not, 9 spacing is the same for all shimano/sram

Yes I agree but wasn't there some issue between rear mechs with Shimano?
    I think Oxo posted something about it.
    Or was it Thistle... or 'Loon?
  • pinno
    edited March 2022
  • sungod
    think that only started with 10 speed
  • sungod
    excellent finish to gw
  • pinno
    First black winner of a classic? 21 yo!

What was Laporte doing?
  • seanoconn
    pinno said:

What was Laporte doing?

He wasn’t caught by total surprise and still had time to respond but Girmay was too fast. Great result.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Buona sera, tutto bene?
    Non ci sono problemi usando una mechanismo XT lungo con l'ingranagio di 9 jesushchrist typing in Italian on a phone set to English is hard work.
    I think it'll be fine Piña, is it a 9 speed mech? Pull ratios can differ, but I forget at which point, so as long as the mech and the shifter match there are no issues. Being long cage is not a problem.
    Lovely day here, walked from Bardolino to Garda and back then had a late lunch. Now lounging before going out for dinner.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    ^ Lovely. Almost like Scozia.

Wiznae me posting about cages and cassettes. Find it hard enough to keep my own std sets shifting properly.

Nice if chilly ride earlier, back up to winter layering. V quiet out and about. Doggers and runnists are wimps.

Good watch of last 90km of Gent Wevelgem, like the winner. I'll be back in Westvlaanderen in a month's time (🤞), staying Poperinge, will be in Ploegsteert (good Vanuxeem beer store there for the sadly now limited # of cases allowed, thanks v much Brexshitters), and either Ieper or Kortrijk for an amble round the bars.
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,521
    orraloon said:

will be in Ploegsteert

Plugstreet to Tommy Atkins. Plugstreet Wood close by. R&R from the Wipers salient for the brits.

That looks fab V. Enjoy.

Drove Mrs H³ and mini over to see MiL for lunch in Wanstead. I had a v large sausage roll from the ginger pig while waiting for them. Drove back. 32 miles in around 2 hours 45. Motoring is such a joy. The battery lasted 27 of those miles.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167

orraloon said:

will be in Ploegsteert

Plugstreet to Tommy Atkins. Plugstreet Wood close by. R&R from the Wipers salient for the brits.

That looks fab V. Enjoy.

Drove Mrs H³ and mini over to see MiL for lunch in Wanstead. I had a v large sausage roll from the ginger pig while waiting for them. Drove back. 32 miles in around 2 hours 45. Motoring is such a joy. The battery lasted 27 of those miles.
    Sounds like the answer is to visit the MiL less often o:)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_
    pinno said:
    Sorry, been busy up a mountain sorting out my suntan.

Make sure it's not a deore mech designed for 11 or 12 speed, apparently they're different and you can't use a 9/10 speed mech on an 11/12 speed cassette due to the spacing. That's what the guys at the bike shop at Cannock Chase told me when my colleague's "I have a Garmin and a GPX file" ride wrecked my mech.
    I guess the shifter still pulls the same amount of cable per shift but the mech needs to move less due to the closer spacing.

I had issues with the new style 105 mech, the new mech design didn't really work with the internal cable route on my frame.
  • pinno
    edited March 2022
    thistle_ said:

...and you can't use a 9/10 speed mech on an 11/12 speed cassette due to the spacing.

I am quite aware of this.

It was just that there was an issue on 9 speed Shimano rear mechs where certain 9 rear mechs were not compatible with 9 speed cassettes.
    Now I know it was actually 10 but that was to do with the levers where not all of them are cross compatible.

Odd, 'cos all Campag 10 speed levers fit 10 speed cassettes and so on.

• pinno
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

What was Laporte doing?

He wasn’t caught by total surprise and still had time to respond but Girmay was too fast. Great result.
    No - Laporte attacked momentarily off the front then nobody was prepared to come round him so he was left leading it out.
  • thistle_
    pinno said:

This standardisation thing will never catch on.

• seanoconn
    pinno said:

seanoconn said:

pinno said:

What was Laporte doing?

No - Laporte attacked momentarily off the front then nobody was prepared to come round him so he was left leading it out.
    Yes-silly move. The rest still applies.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    pinno said:

thistle_ said:

...and you can't use a 9/10 speed mech on an 11/12 speed cassette due to the spacing.

I am quite aware of this.

It was just that there was an issue on 9 speed Shimano rear mechs where certain 9 rear mechs were not compatible with 9 speed cassettes.
    Now I know it was actually 10 but that was to do with the levers where not all of them are cross compatible.

I don’t think it was 9 or 10 speed mechs (Shimano) that had an issue with compatibility as such.

All 9 speed MTB mechs/shifters/cassettes are compatible. Same for 10 speed..

The mismatch is that you can’t use a Shimano *road bike* shifter with an MTB series mech, even if the speeds are the same. Shimano did make some quite nice flat bar shifters that matched their road groupsets (SL-R770 for example) for 10 speed. You could use those with a 9 speed MTB mech like an XT-M770, and it worked fine, but it didn’t work with 10 speed XT-M780.

The road mismatch that Shimano introduced was when they changed from 7800 series (and previous) Dura Ace over to the uglier 7900 series Dura Ace. The shifting was fine, but the brake cable pull ratio changed, so you were not really able to use “new” levers with older series brakes.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno

The mismatch is that you can’t use a Shimano *road bike* shifter with an MTB series mech, even if the speeds are the same.

The road mismatch that Shimano introduced was when they changed from 7800 series (and previous) Dura Ace over to the uglier 7900 series Dura Ace. The shifting was fine, but the brake cable pull ratio changed, so you were not really able to use “new” levers with older series brakes.

Ah, some clarity ^. Thank you.

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    You can use older 10 speed road shifters (not Tiagra 4700) with 9 speed Mtb rear mechs.
  • pinno
    edited March 2022
    masjer said:

You can use older 10 speed road shifters (not Tiagra 4700) with 9 speed Mtb rear mechs.

Soz but I couldn't give a farq. It's only Shimano on banger of a Claude Butler that weights more than my cousin Adam that belongs to an equally overweight mate that can't fettle for toffee so i'm left with this frikkin heap to sort. I only wanted to make sure I wasn't buying (on his behalf off Fleabay) the wrong mech.
    He has an (underweight) baby on the way, his mum has C19, his Dad is recovering from the same (plus bilateral knee replacements) and he's doing all the run around whilst doing 12hr night shifts in his new job when he was told (after loosing his printing job) that it would be only day shifts and knowing the company, I knew that was a lie, so I am only doing it out of sympathy. He did have a choice and I failed to convince him that choice A was a better option 'cos you will be doing nights if you take option B.
    Plus a broken spoke - on the rear drive side. Which means cassette removal and the dilemma - do I clean it before re-assembly? and a loose BB - old school with lockring*.

*I pinched it up, it's fine. Nothing a bit of grinding paste won't cure permanently.

As I said, soz.

Meanwhile, his 24k mini Mayfair conversion lives in a Cocoon in a purpose built garage and he's fitting Oak doors to his 2 bedroom house which he is converting to a 3 bedroom house in time for the baby. Yeah right.
    Bin the frikkin job ('cos he can go back to option A), ditch the doors and buy a decent frikkin hybrid to ride around on.
    ...and 2 beds is fine for now.