Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    Blimey.

Jack Leach for Captain!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    To think I was listening to Tuffers and Anderson talking on the radio a few nights ago bemoaning the boring flat pitches in the Caribbean and yearning for something that would give a decent contest between batsman and bowler.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Both of them could have been out from lots of deliveries when the new ball was taken - the pitch was fizzing again, the ball was hooping around. There's two English men sitting at home who I'm sure would have loved to have a go in the morning.
  • JimD666
    Some of the headlines from the BBC's live text yesterday included the words "abject" and "Dismal".

Today it reads England on top.

Test Match cricket. It's a funny old game
  • Pross
    Slight difference in the wicket between two tests. Just need the Goldilocks version between them now!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Looks as if the Windies innings is turning into a carbon copy of England with the tail wagging the dead dog.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • JimD666
    And we're back to woeful.

Thanks Joe, but you're done as skipper. No clue who can take over but he Root can't carry on.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Oh well.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Its like to 80s all over again! Absolutely awful.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Whilst I don't think a great deal of Root's captaincy at this time I don't think it is the biggest problem the team currently faces. Whoever is captain will not change the fact we can't find a decent opening pair, Broad and Anderson have gone leaving a gaping hole in the quality of bowling with the rest of the quicks being injury prone and Stokes is clearly still finding his way back after his leave of absence.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Great performance by the ladies this morning. After a shaky start they really have got their game in order. Hopefully after a good tournament so far the final will be more like the group stages than the 1-sided semi-finals.
  • JimD666
    Sky are making the final available on free to air TV. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/60953084

Just in case anyone wants to watch the Aussies win at a canter. :'(
  • blazing_saddles
    It appears that dropping catches is a recurring theme in the woman’s game.
    Wyatt dropped 5 times while making her semi final century.
    Today, England managed to drop both openers in the same over and boy, did it cost them dear.
  • JimD666
    Andrew Symonds, former Aussie All-rounder, killed in a car crash.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/61453300
  • JimD666
    edited June 2022
    So, yet another "new era" of English test cricket gets under the way this morning. I confess to feeling cautious optimism at the moment. I sure England will do their level best to disabuse me of such unexpected feelings with great haste.

TMS on the radio and no cycling to cause a conflict of interest. Fingers crossed.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Another one!
  • JimD666
    I have to keep checking who's doing the batting!

And we were leaving Anderson and Broad out of the winter tests. 🤦‍♂️
  • blazing_saddles
    The current score of 12 - 4 looks like it's another dismal start to an England innings.......except it's NZ!
  • JimD666
    If this was at any ground other than Lords, I'd be half expecting to hear a rendition of "Are you England in disguise?!"
  • JimD666
    Despite Lees best efforts we seem to of manage to get to Tea without loss. What weird world am I listening to??
  • blazing_saddles
    JimD666 said:

Despite Lees best efforts we seem to of manage to get to Tea without loss. What weird world am I listening to??

Amazing how England’s batting improves when there’s no pressure.
  • JimD666

JimD666 said:

Amazing how England’s batting improves when there’s no pressure.
    I agree. Sort of.

While the game pressure is slight I'd suggest that the quality of our test cricket batting over the last couple of years brings it's own pressure. But as always YMMV
  • blazing_saddles
    England would like to apologise for the unexpected technical glitches earlier in the day.
    Normal service has now been resumed.
  • JimD666
    Cautious optimism has met stark reality. I'd sorry to report that stark reality has just beaten the living daylights out of cautious optimism.
  • Pross
    Glad I haven't got day 3 tickets let alone day 4! Colleague was there yesterday.

From the clips I saw yesterday, most wickets that fell were down to good bowling and / or fielding rather than poor batting. Potts looks a real find and a rare 1st innings lead so some positives.
  • JimD666
    Pross said:

Glad I haven't got day 3 tickets let alone day 4! Colleague was there yesterday.

From the clips I saw yesterday, most wickets that fell were down to good bowling and / or fielding rather than poor batting. Potts looks a real find and a rare 1st innings lead so some positives.

Pretty much what I thought. Vaughan on TMS at lunch today was of the opposite view. At least in regard to England's batting. He was rather dismissive of the bowling and it was all due to poor batting.
  • blazing_saddles
    England now require 2 days to be completely rained off.
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    I love cricket, I use them for fishing all the time, and they work great.
  • JimD666
    Against all odds it's going into the 4th day. England aren't in a terrible position but if Root goes early in the morning then NZ will be strong favourites
  • blazing_saddles
    JimD666 said:

Against all odds it's going into the 4th day. England aren't in a terrible position but if Root goes early in the morning then NZ will be strong favourites

Considering it’s the batting that has faced all the recent criticism, could they have picked a team with a longer tail?

(Although it could be said, take Root out and it’s nothing but tail)