Is it ever ok to wear a fake watch?

Everything I think screams “no!!!!” but the wifey’s uncle left a couple of fake Rolexes which actually have quite nice movements/build quality (except for the straps which are lightweight and tinny). Get rid or keep and wear?

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    I work in intellectual property and theft of such property is a serious issue. I have never participated in, and nor do I condone, copyright piracy of any form, trade mark infringement or passing off.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508

I work in intellectual property and theft of such property is a serious issue. I have never participated in, and nor do I condone, copyright piracy of any form, trade mark infringement or passing off.

That’s not a comedy third option!!

(Kind of what I think too)
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    I think wear whatever ypu want, especially if you have a job that will knacker stuff.

You have these fake watches - what are you going to do - leave them in a drawer and not use them out of principal?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    johngti said:

Apart from YouTube and those Oakleys.
  • johngti

johngti said:

Apart from YouTube and those Oakleys.
    Now I do have real oakleys…
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,521
    Stick it on your wrist, then look at your phone to tell the time.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    For me the pleasure is knowing and enjoying the quality of the watch. Another reason would be sentimental value which yours has.

I don’t like the way Rolex operate so f.uck em. Wear it.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • MattFalle
    Oh - I voted who really cares by the way.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    I don't understand the watch obsession that some people have. A guy at work was wearing a £6000 watch to work (on a building site) the other day. It made me feel anxious on his behalf.

But then, I don't own a watch, don't think I have worn one in 10 years. I also don't own any designer clothes so probably not the target market.
  • johngti
    monkimark said:

I don't understand the watch obsession that some people have. A guy at work was wearing a £6000 watch to work (on a building site) the other day. It made me feel anxious on his behalf.

But then, I don't own a watch, don't think I have worn one in 10 years. I also don't own any designer clothes so probably not the target market.

Oh I’d never spend that much on a watch (I mean, I need a new car more!). My days are governed by time so a decent watch is a must. I’ve got an Apple Watch for days where I want to know how active I’ve been and a nice citizen one which keeps good time. I really don’t care about the name on these, but they’re pretty accurate watches that don’t need a battery so, in spite of not liking fakes, I’m in two minds. I’ll never move in the type of circles that would even notice so maybe I’ll go with the majority (couldn’t really sell fakes could I?)
  • MattFalle
    johngti said:

monkimark said:

Oh I’d never spend that much on a watch (I mean, I need a new car more!). My days are governed by time so a decent watch is a must. I’ve got an Apple Watch for days where I want to know how active I’ve been and a nice citizen one which keeps good time. I really don’t care about the name on these, but they’re pretty accurate watches that don’t need a battery so, in spite of not liking fakes, I’m in two minds. I’ll never move in the type of circles that would even notice so maybe I’ll go with the majority (couldn’t really sell fakes could I?)
    so long as ypu say they are fakes of course you can sell.

middle management love thisshit. makes them think they look important as they badly drive their Range Rovers they have on HP.

• First.Aspect
    Can be peer pressure. The patent examiners at the European Patent Office are all very well paid, and if you ever go for a hearing, you'll see the hierarchy played out in the form of expensive watches.

Chairs of a Division tend to be Tag Heuer guys.

Now I'm in the same ball-park as some of them, but I just don't see how a watch is a sensible thing to spend the deposit for a house on.

The most I've ever spent on a watch is £400ish for a Garmin Fenix. And about £350 for a Citizen watch in a fancy frock. (https://www.holzkern.com/en-gb/)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    johngti said:

...My days are governed by time so a decent watch is a must....

Casio. Keeps perfect time. Job done.
    Anything more expensive is jewellery.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • johngti

Now I'm in the same ball-park as some of them, but I just don't see how a watch is a sensible thing to spend the deposit for a house on.

The most I've ever spent on a watch is £400ish for a Garmin Fenix. And about £350 for a Citizen watch in a fancy frock. (https://www.holzkern.com/en-gb/)

Quite agree. Just decently accurate is good enough for me. Plus the smart watch when I’m bothered. The two “good” fakes can go in a drawer for now. The really tacky stuff can just get chucked out I think.
  • First.Aspect
    Who needs it to be decently accurate? I don't use a watch to tell the time very often. That's what a telephone is for.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410

Who needs it to be decently accurate? I don't use a watch to tell the time very often. That's what a telephone is for.

The speaking clock still exists??!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• johngti

Me! Can’t really be looking at a phone during a lesson
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I actually used to wear a fake Rolex - ok it didn't actually say Rolex on it but it was otherwise a (fairly poor) copy - I didn't realise until people started asking me where I got my fake Rolex. Can't actually remember now where I did get it.

Personally as someone that considers £100 on a GShock the sort of decadence that will hasten the end of Western society I don't really get why anyone would want to spend 6k on a watch - it seems akin to buying a gold plated bicycle stem encrusted with diamonds - but each to their own.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    johngti said:

Quite agree. Just decently accurate is good enough for me. Plus the smart watch when I’m bothered. The two “good” fakes can go in a drawer for now. The really tacky stuff can just get chucked out I think.
    its a waste to put them in a drawe.

use them or give them away/sell them.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    What you wearing a fake one for?

Can get plenty of either nice looking watches, including those with automatic mechanisms.
  • johngti
    oxoman said:

Johngti are they definitely fake and not legit with replacement straps. From memory I think the rolex movement is supposed to be smooth whereas the fakes used to have a pronounced ticking movement. I'm going back 30yrs ish when you could buy them in the pub cheap.

They’re definitely fake, albeit with decent automatic movements. So there’s a good sweep to the second hand, no loud ticking, and on the submariner copy the magnifying window actually magnifies (but not on the yacht master copy). The back has a green holographic sticker on both but not centralised on the yacht master.

Really becomes clear when you take the back off the case. No waterproofing, while the movement is decent, it’s not in any way polished or top quality and there are no Rolex markings anywhere. Also no serial numbers to be seen. The quality of the face on both gives them away too they don’t quite look nice enough.
  • johngti
    Oh, and they were both shoved in a tin in little bubble wrap envelopes rather than proper boxes
  • First.Aspect
    johngti said:

But the students do, surely?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I had a pretty good fake Rolex for a while but sold it as I didn't feel right wearing it.

I'd say : wear it if you want to. 90% of people won't even notice and 9.99999% of the remainder who do notice, won't tell if it's a fake.

As for cost - I can't tell if people are joking when you can get bikes for twice the cost of a Rolex submariner, and a Rolex will only go up in value.
  • johngti

johngti said:

But the students do, surely?
    Not in my class they don’t! Blimey, I’d have to resign if I let the little so and so’s get away with that!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Feel free to wear it JGTI, but as a bit of a watch geek myself I'll probably be able to spot it's a fake and will take the wee wee if I catch you wearing it when we meet up :)

Steel sports Rolexes are practically unobtainable unless you're prepared to pay extortionate grey market prices, so people will assume it's a fake anyway...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • johngti

These are they. I put the leather strap on the steel one.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    100% Genuine Casio. Does exactly the same as your fake Rolex. Does exactly the same as a real Rolex come to think of it

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• First.Aspect
    johngti said:

These are they. I put the leather strap on the steel one.

I like the one on the left. Matches my gold tooth and necklace.
  • First.Aspect
    You can tell its a fake, because it says 'xelor' on it.