113th Milan - Sanremo - 293 km ***Spoilers***

It's time for the monument that total splits opinion: with half finding it's final climax the most exciting of the season and the other half finding it too predictable; indeed almost traditional, reaching said climax.
The 2022 is even more traditional that recent editions, as March 19th was for many years during the mid 1900s the day the race was almost always held.
The route is also restored, with the return of the Turchino, after landslides took it out of the last two editions.

This Saturday will be the 112th edition of Milan-San Remo, this year played out on a route of 293 kilometres.

The emblematic Cipressa-Poggio combo marks the finale before a technical downhill into San Remo.

The past three editions have proven difficult for the sprinters, with the super punching duo of Alaphilippe (absent this year) and Van Aert both taking victory. Last year's winner, Jasper Stuyven won't be defending his title, due to illness.
Not that it will be any easier for the sprinters in his absence, who instead face the terrifying prospect of the "new Merckx", Tadej Pogacar, in all likelyhood, ripping up the usual script.
And if not him, then maybe the rumoured late addition to the start list: Matthieu van der Poel.

Just imagine this trio coming into town together. Maybe it could all end like this again?

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    Ewan is out.

As much as I want him to lose, I'd rather see him actually lose rather than miss out.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2022
    High likelihood I will still be in rona isolation so I will have literally all day and no distractions to watch this, so happy to be the live-poster.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I've not been watching too much recently but according to the media Pogacar has already won this, hasn't he? Why are we bothering with the race?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,133
    ddraver said:

I've not been watching too much recently but according to the media Pogacar has already won this, hasn't he? Why are we bothering with the race?

To see if he'll win it with a 200km solo attack.
  • ddraver
    Even The Cycling Podcast, who are normally a little more level headed about these things, are fully aboard the hype train...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited March 2022
    MvdP is back...

(he looks so young in that video...)

PTP carnage
    - @ddraver
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,163
    MvdP is now on the start list according to the Twitters
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

High likelihood I will still be in rona isolation so I will have literally all day and no distractions to watch this, so happy to be the live-poster.

sounds cool - grazie!
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    r0bh said:

MvdP is now on the start list according to the Twitters

tbh, as much as I think he is the bestest best of the best, can't see - first race back, legs maybe not in it?

Then again, didn't stop WvA did it?

oh who knows.
  • rick_chasey
    MattFalle said:

sounds cool - grazie!
    It's the opposite of cool - it's rather tragic - but sure.
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver said:

Even The Cycling Podcast, who are normally a little more level headed about these things, are fully aboard the hype train...

Ah succumb to it. Hype trains are fun. Even if the attack doesn't work out, just the excitement you'll have when he makes a move will be worth it.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Just tested negative today so will probably be out celebrating tomorrow!
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,315

Get well soon Rick! I crashed on Saturday the 5th on my bike taking a corner too fast and had shoulder surgery yesterday. My girlfriend has been Covid positive for the entire week, but is thankfully doing well. I had to seek asylum with her parents to not contract the virus, which would have canceled the surgery...
    Hope to be on Zwift once she no longer tests positive and will be watching the race from the laptop at the in laws instead of the "boys and their toys (that is almost exclusively used by the gf)" ludicrously sized TV at home.
    Typing with the left hand takes ages (so appreciate this you ingrates! 😉), but happy to have you pointing stuff out Rick.
    It bugged me to no end, that Been & Backstedt missed Turner bridging Roglic over to Sheffield, Narvaez and Touze in Denain when a small gap had formed instead of making him close it (aroung 29-28 km to go). Didn't matter in the end since Cav took it in the bunch sprint, but something like that is a race losing move.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    m.r.m. said:

It bugged me to no end, that Been & Backstedt missed Turner bridging Roglic over to Sheffield, Narvaez and Touze in Denain when a small gap had formed instead of making him close it (aroung 29-28 km to go). Didn't matter in the end since Cav took it in the bunch sprint, but something like that is a race losing move.
    Have you been over doing the pain killers as Cav wasn’t at Denain. He was in Italy.

• MattFalle

MattFalle said:

sounds cool - grazie!
    It's the opposite of cool - it's rather tragic - but sure.
    mega gravy granules 💪💪👍👍
  • rick_chasey
    Looks like a tailwind for the majority of it.
  • Jose Been mentioned on comms today that there’s a rumour Pog has a cold

To the PTP!!!
  • rick_chasey

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,133
    Have to wait until 100km to go before going solo.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900

Jose Been mentioned on comms today that there’s a rumour Pog has a cold

To the PTP!!!

yeah about 5 minutes after I picked Pog.

I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure now....
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited March 2022
    Nowehere near:

Asgreen, Trentin, Vanmarcke, Cort and counting
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • MattFalle
    all scared of the mighty MvdP....
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,315
    webboo said:

m.r.m. said:

Have you been over doing the pain killers as Cav wasn’t at Denain. He was in Italy.

True was Walscheid, right? Got the bunch sprint confused. The rest stands.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • JimD666
    Pog has confirmed he will race despite not being 100%.

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,070
    edited March 2022
    Do we really believe Pogacar is sick? Smells like bullshit to me.
  • ddraver
    *cough* Bo11ocks in Slovenian*cough*
    - @ddraver
  • MattFalle
    Didn't he say he wasn't up for it last time he rode away from everyone and won by about 7hrs?
  • JimD666
    andyp said:

Do we really believe Pogacar is sick? Smells like bullshit to me.

I think it's about as likely as mvdp treating tomorrow as a "training" ride.